TXI

Add Photos

Mel Brekhus

Love working at TXI

I have been working at TXI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent Technology. They use VMWare and are a VDI / Oracle shop. Lots of challenges and opportunities to learn something new.

ConsRecently sold to Martin Marietta and the future is in question for those employed there for post purchase changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnowing is so much better than not knowing - give folks a chance to look elsewhere if they will be let go.

Very greedy company with little respect for it's employees.

Midlothian, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBetter pay than flipping burgers??

ConsPoor management, low pay, not enough staff to properly do the job, can't advance unless you are one of the "good ole boys",

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more staff, listen to the employees

Couldn't pay me enough money to go back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at TXI full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, decent benefits, associates pleasant to work with

ConsFamily "owned" company with limited advancement if you don't have the same last name. Expected to work 24/7 with little or no work life balance & if you mention the long hours/late night calls, manager tells you it's part of the job & will not offer any relief. Poor bonuses. No opportunity for personal development. Management cares more about their bonuses than employee well being, and will unload extra work (often their own) on them so they can reap the benefits without putting in the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the opportunity to learn how to work with poor management. Please train management on their employee's responsibilities so they can assist if needed, especially with coverage during vacations and personal time off

Has its pros and cons

I have been working at TXI full-time

ProsDecent Pay
All training provided to people with no experience
Flexible work schedules if time needed for Dr Appts.

ConsLong hours in the summer... often working 12 hr days - 6, sometimes 7 days a week
Hours dropped back to 40 hrs in the winter months, which can drastically impact the paycheck when you are used to the summer months, so plan accordingly
Often told on Friday that you are working on Saturday
If a paid holiday falls on a weekday, management likes to have you work that day and then take Friday off.. fine for some holidays, but 4th of July, New Years Eve, Christmas, should not be changed. And if there is a holiday, you can expect to work Saturday of the following week to make up for lost production days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees advance notice before working on the weekend, not the day before.

Love working at TXI - Good company to work at.

Senior Unix Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at TXI full-time for more than a year

ProsGood technology and management that is informed.

ConsLocation - its a long drive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on growing the business - I am liking the stock price!

Best IT Department of my Career

IT Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at TXI full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany places importance on ethics. Personal life is on par with professional life in terms of importance. Low turnover. Multitude of long term employees. Progressive within the industry. Green initiative. Community involvement. Talent pool within IT is very impressive. Senior Management open door policy. VP is knowledgeable and supportive of individual contributors and managers without micromanaging.

ConsCompany is mid-sized with flat organizational structure. Employee happiness results in low turnover so promotion opportunity is rare. This, clearly, is only a con with regard to individuals who are looking for rapid advancement in their careers. Central to Dallas so suburban commute is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue efforts at improved communication, employee development, and promoting within. Very satisfied with all efforts of management.

management is inexperenced, don't listen, without much common sense!!! Some are little Hilters.

I have been working at TXI full-time for more than 10 years

Prosvacations and sick days are good.

ConsBig lack of communican. They take advanage of there positions. They think they got us under there thumbs, but we kick back when their not looking or not there. And their not there very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Master and Slave days are gone.. Listening goes a long way !!!!!!!!

You can't ever plan anything in your personal time.

Information Services (Former Employee)

I worked at TXI

ProsOpportunity to learn new technologies

ConsLots of weekends with no comp time and very difficult to get pto. You need to call in sick in order to get time off. Unrealistic expectations in regards to work load with no raises and no bonuses. Weekend work in usually thrown on you at the last minute (like the Wednesday or Thursday before), management acts like it is a bad thing if you don't like to do it that way. My manager threw me under the bus when I was out at a doctor's appointment to my director after all of the weekend time I've put in and time taken away from my family. They have a very high stress atmosphere, very negative with nothing in return. So pretty much I have no personal time and no money. I was on call 24x7 for 7 months straight. The management doesn't like to hire people because they want bigger bonuses.

Upper management and management in general do not care for their employees or their family life. They only care for their kids and wives and getting those big bonuses. They just need a warm body and number to assign to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYOU NEED TO CARE FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES. Quit being greedy and address the human side of things.

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at TXI

ProsIt is nice to see that the product you provide has helped build a city. The fruits of your labor will be around for generations. The people are friendly.

ConsThis is a commodity driven sector. It is nice to have a company that prides itself on providing the best product but the bottom line is that the product must be at an affordable price.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep providing the quality product that you are providing. Continue to look for ways in which the product can be delivered at an affordable price to the end user.

Ok

Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI

ProsThere are really good people who work with TXI.

ConsTop Heavy Family Business....very little chance of promotion or advancement.

Worked for TXI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TXI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TXI CEO Mel Brekhus. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by TXI employees.