Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014
2.0

John C. Middleton

Great Company, however to many social circles

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance within the compnay. Friendly associates.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were too politcal.

Look closer to associates individual skills and expertise to see how those qualties can be used to further advance your company.

T B & R threw us away like we were yesterday's shredded recycled paper!

Former Employee - Service Manager- Commercial Department in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Service Manager- Commercial Department in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

For many years, TB&R had a reputation of strength, reliability and stability. For this reason, I wanted to work there and be part of the agency. Benefits offered were flex-time work schedules, summer hours (one Friday afternoon off each month), reasonably priced health insurance and regular cost of living raises. We had company picnics and cookouts - morale was excellent.

Cons

In 2008, after the owners moved the business to a bigger, newer building with much higher rent, everything changed! In 2009, we all took a pay cut, lost our flex-time and summer hours. There were no raises to off-set the rising cost of our health insurance. The new CFO (at the owner's direction, I'm sure) even cut out the cookouts.
    Now, we've been sold to new owners from out of Ohio, and over 10% of the workforce (most of us over 55 yrs old - some over 60 with more than 30 yrs with the company) have been laid off or let go.

The owners became rich as of July 25, but many of us are now unemployed.

How many of the remaining staff do you think will really want to stick around and wait for the Ohio owners to get rid of them too? Advice to new owners: Be nice to existing producers and staff - they have a lot of loyal clients and friends in RIC.

The honeymoon period was nice, but after salary cuts and layoffs, I knew I had make a mistake!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

The monthly "payday celebrations" were always a hoot. While we needed to celebrate our paychecks in the down economy, the celebration food got more unhealthy each month. How many leftover tins of Christmas cookies were we going to eat?? The employees tried to be positive and upbeat. We did our best to support one another - that was the "Pro" at TB&R.

Cons

The agency is one of the last independent agencies in VA not owned by a big company or a bank, but the 3 partners keep the company bonus $$ for themselves. They do not share any with the hard- working producers or staff. Long-term dept managers have no regard for personal problems of employees (such as health issues or family illness).

Owners barely know the name of the staff and rarely ever spoke to me while I was employed there. I left the insurance business altogether! If the owners don't want to lose the good workers as soon as the insurance world improves, they need to start showing them they care instead of offering FMLA as the only option when they need personal time off.

TB&R, LLC? Maybe in business for over 100 years is too long!

Former Employee - Acct Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

The depts stick together! The regular "staff" realizes they are all in it together and until the economy improves, they have to be content with what they have. Even though pay increases don't keep pace with the cost of living, it's better than no raise at all!

Cons

Rigid work environment with male execs who still want to have their dictation transcribed by "secretaries"; paper files still maintained in lieu of moving into the current century with e-filing like the rest of the insurance world. It is so obvious the owners protect the bond department over and above everyone else!

Upgrade your technology, get rid of the paper! Hire new people who will help to make the business a more diverse workforce. There are 50+ employees, but average age is 45+. The agency needs some young blood.

Outstanding Work Ethic and Value-Added Coverages for all Clients Each and Every Day for over 125 years!

Current Employee - Insurance Executive in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Insurance Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

Owners are actively invested and involved in the day-to-day operations. There is a true feeling among employees of "teamwork" to make things happen for our clients to help them be successful in their business. The working conditions, benefits program and management accessibility are all top-notch for a privately-owned company.

Cons

TB&R is a privately-owned, local agency. It's not always possible to complete with the national brokers and banks on extremely large accounts, and that fact holds the company back at times. The resources are more limited in a small company, and there are less dollars for education when it is still very important.

Look to the future for long-term planning, not just the next ten years when you will all be planning to retire!

Dawson Group sold them in less than six months to Assured Partners - Way to Go!

Former Employee - Service Manager
    Former Employee - Service Manager

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The long-term relationships among full-time employees build life-long friendships that no salary can every equal in today's world!

Cons

Those friendships are fleeting once you leave TB&R. After a while, no one remembers your name or cares about you anymore.

New owners need to clean out the "dead wood" as existing, long-term staff will never adapt to new ways of doing things, such as selling from internet leads.