Tableau Software Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.3
Christian Chabot

Pros
  • Great product with a large and enthusiastic user community (in 17 reviews)

• work life balance and culture are great (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing rapidly so there are some growing pains (office space, IT resources, etc (in 7 reviews)

• The company is going through all sorts of growing pains (in 10 reviews)

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In addition to excellent benefits (100%-paid health, stock benefits, commuter subsidy, free food, amazing parties) there is an incredible culture. Everyone truly embodies our core value of “humble smart”. I have honestly never worked with smarter people in my life. There is a high degree of collaboration with little emphasis on title or position. We are great about giving people the benefit of the doubt and quick to recognize a job well done.

Though everyone works very hard, we routinely take the time to pause after a big project to celebrate...something we do quite well if I do say so myself. :) Everything from silent disco dancing parties to Mariners baseball games. We know how to celebrate and foster friendships among coworkers. Recently, during bike-to-work month, we received free, specially catered meals, free Tableau jerseys and free bike tune ups. It was a great way to go above and beyond to celebrate the event!

I feel very valued as an employee at Tableau and highly recommend working here.

Cons

It can be challenging to get one’s foot in the door. (Tableau is such an awesome place to work, everyone wants to be here.) It can take time and many attempts to move forward in the applicant process.

The growth rate is incredible, and as such, there are some growing pains when it comes to onboarding within teams. Approval processes can also be lengthy as each organization grows. Thankfully, these are known areas of opportunity, and processes are currently being built to address them.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring awesome people! Continue to keep culture an important part of the company.

Jun 17, 2015Team Tableau

Thanks so much for your feedback! We agree we do have a lot of great benefits and fun at Tableau!

We appreciate your comments on what we can improve on, and we're always looking for ways to make
    ... More

2. Strategic Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Products, Strong Management team, Incredible marketing support, great co - workers, fantastic benefits, Awesome Culture

Cons

A few of the internal systems are labor intensive

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on our core mission

3. Best gob I've ever had.

Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with incredibly smart and motivated people every day in a very supportive environment. There are excellent career growth paths here.

Cons

Sometimes the growing pains of our rapid expansion make some things hard to get done, but it's all manageable.

5. Great Mission Great Culture

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very focused on helping others and being good stewards. The Tableau Foundation donates money and software to various non-profits and we get one paid day to volunteer and a place of our choice. There are also some contribution matching programs that I personally have not looked into yet. The benefits package get better every year, HR is very responsive to your needs and I wish I had our product 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of reporting. The work life balance is important to management and while you may have deadlines it wont be 50hr+ a week constantly like some other tech companies. My wife says I'm not allowed to leave Tableau because our insurance is so good.

Cons

Compensation is a bit weak, it appears to assume that the stock will do well to balance out with other companies. Growing so fast can lead to growing pains where things were done quick rather than correct.

Advice to Management

bring up the salaries to at least within 10% of the Microsoft and Google.

6. Truly a company on a mission

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great leadership team. They really know how to read the pulse of market and stay focussed. There is a right mix of internal focus to build on the strength and external focus to learn from the competition.
    - Company culture and values resonates with me. Team work and collaboration is encouraged over individual achievements. Performance reviews are just about how awesome you did but how helpful you were in others and team's success.
    - Great perks. Really good health insurance and ample free food and drinks. Great parties. Commuter subsidies. Not really comparable to Facebook or Google but better than most companies(read Amazon).
    - Good work-life balance. Some employees complain about rare crunch times but I guess they have not worked at Amazon or similar companies. I find work-life balance to be much better than both of my previous employers.
    - Companies mission is to help people see and understand data which is more meaningful to me than get people click the add to cart button.

Cons

- Career growth. There is great camaraderie among people who have been with company for very long and it appears that you got to be in the group to be recognized and promoted. There is no clear guidance on what your manager will be looking for in order for promotion. It just seem random. People from outside with lesser experience got hired on level above me.
    - Compensation. If you have accumulated equity before the IPO, you will not complain about this but I think the new employees are only compensated well if they have other competitive offers. If not, you would probably be compensated less than other major employers in the area.
    - Growth and learning. There are some great teams which work on cutting edge technologies but web and mobile are pretty slow and conservative to keep pace with development in tools and technologies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Jun 25, 2015Team Tableau

Glad to hear you are having such a great time at Tableau! In regards to some of your items listed to work on, I would highly encourage you to either reach out to your manager or your local HR team to ... More

7. Fast Paced Fun!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As someone who enjoys fast pace and a full workload, I love being at Tableau. Senior leadership team listens, is engaged and supportive. The workplace is creative, positive, supportive and collaborative. I've never worked harder or been more personally & professionally satisfied in my 30+ year career.

Cons

Its important to manage your work/life balance; don't expect the company to do it for you. This is not a place for you if you're motivated strictly by $$ -- if you're looking for a creative, empowering environment, you've found it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Area Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Area Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay at the company is pretty good

The company is growing very quickly

Stock Options are great and the stock is on the rise

Cons

Non this company has come so far and has done so much with its employees that most of the people that work here are happy to be with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. great team atmosphere and opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team lead meets with me regularly (not just once a year) to help me reach my career goals at Tableau.

Cons

It can feel overwhelming at first because I thought I needed to know everything (which is not the case)

Advice to Management

Keep meeting with your team members to check their morale and motivators!

Jun 17, 2015Team Tableau

So glad to hear you have an awesome and engaged team lead! Hope you continue to enjoy working at Tableau!

Employee

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Desktop product, genuine desire to please customers.

Cons

When does a business become a cult?

Enthusiastic, clean-cut, charismatic leader with a gift for public speaking: Check.

A strong message embraced by the entire organization and evangelized to the world at every opportunity: Check.

Energetic, hyperbolic, youth-centric culture that prides itself in unwavering postivity yet subtly punishes those who do not subscribe to their fervor: Check.

Infantilization of its members by encouraging a childlike attitude, and by providing food in lieu of competitive salary: Check.

You have been warned.

Advice to Management

See Cons.

Jun 17, 2015Team Tableau

Thanks for your review. I'd like to encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR team to share some of your thoughts listed above. We take our values and employee experiences seriously and would ... More

11. Open, Smart Company with Huge Growth Potential

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, flexible scheduling.
    Overall, the culture is all it's hyped up to be, coworker are smart, humble, and friendly and there are people from all walks of life in the past. So far, in Tech Support alone, I've met people who owned clothing businesses, worked for Pixar, and worked for Google. None of whom regret the switch.
    HUGE demand for talent internally, so great upward mobility is a plus.
    Currently there is a sign on bonus consisting of a relatively substantial stock offering.
    Transparent management style and procedure.
    Plenty of opportunity to change roles.
    Medical, Dental, etc. are all good and employer paid.

Cons

Lower than industry standard salary, most people I've met have taken a pay-cut.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries ASAP, nearly everyone I've met has taken a pay-cut to join.
    Currently the low to mid level positions are undervalued.

RSS Feed </> Embed