Tableau Software

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
4.1

Christian Chabot

Pros
  • You work with a great product and people who are intelligent and motivated (in 17 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great and hours are very flexible (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I am honest, I can not think of any, except that our company is growing rapidly and that's a pro (in 7 reviews)

• Company is growing rapidly so there are some growing pains (office space, IT resources, etc (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Tableau Software is the best company I've worked for

I have been working at Tableau Software

Pros

Great benefits.
    Lots of opportunity for growth
    Nice work/life balance

Cons

Fast growth is hard to maintain a close employee community.

Keep up the great work!

Great place to work and growth potential

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is very fun, stocked kitchen

Cons

Still acts as a start up so work life balance is not the best.

I absolutely loved my time at Tableau!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are easily the best thing about working at Tableau. My mentors were some of the smartest, talented, As an intern, I didn't feel like the new kid on the block; I felt as though I could go to anyone and everyone to learn and gain insight into the company and my personal practices. There are a variety of teams, a variety of projects to work on, and opportunities across teams to contribute to the product in ways you see fit. They took us to the Tableau Conference where they presented the work the other interns worked on.

Cons

I'm only typing in this box because they made me. Seriously.

Amazing company and amazing people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture, incredible product, smart management, savvy marketing, successful sales team, strong support operations. You can work your whole life and never hit a company or a group of intelligent and motivated people like this.

Cons

It's getting big - harder to scale. Lots more confusion about who does what and what's the right thing to do since there are so many new people.

Keep trusting and expanding resources for your employees. Keep communications open. Upgrade the salaries of your long-time employees. Don't get arrogant.

A company on the move!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product with a large and enthusiastic user community. The leadership includes the original founders who have a well-thought out vision from a technology perspective and from a market perspective. Rapid growth can be exciting (if done right) and I believe that management is up to the challenge.

People in the company are open to ideas and to questions. You can talk to just about anyone.

Some of the other reviews here mention a bias against older job hunters. I'm an older worker and I see plenty of co-workers who have adult children or grandchildren. The company wants top notch talent and recognizes that those of us with decades of experience in the software industry can make significant and unique contributions to the product and to the culture.

Cons

Compensation is average. Company is growing rapidly so there are some growing pains (office space, IT resources, etc.) but the company is aware and does try to address the issues.

Great company - but territory is key

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome culture reinforced by a very strong management team. Unique and innovative product. Smart, talented, humble people make working at Tableau a great experience day-to-day. Outstanding company vision that is shared by every employee. Incredibly loyal and fanatical customer base.

Cons

Sales comp plans are mediocre. The land-and-expand sales model skews chances of success toward reps with more mature customers with a high install base. Simple products and pricing is nice, but there's limited flexibility to get creative with deals.

Stay true to who you are, and the vision you've put forth. Tweak sales comp plans and territories to create a level playing field and competitive salaries. Aggressive growth is important, but continue to invest to give field personnel resources to make customers successful and retail your sales staff.

Great entry-level job, limited compensation and career opportunities.

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great medical benefits, stock grants, annual bonuses (Sales), fully stocked kitchens, and amazing company parties! Team camaraderie is top-notch. This is the ideal first job out of college.

Cons

As mentioned by others, external hires are often much better compensated than those internally promoted. Additionally, executives appear to be in cash out mode, selling off their stock/options at every opportunity, negatively impacting those holding restricted shares. This isn't uncommon at "growth" Tech companies that have gone public, however, the degree of selling at Tableau is a bit sinister. Income/compensation inequality is definitely an issue.

Share the wealth, and show a bit more faith in the company's financial prospects. The dearth of employees with 3-6 years time at the company isn't an accident.

Great product, enterprise inside sales just not worth it

I have been working at Tableau Software

Pros

-Great product
    -Great atmosphere
    -Great offices/locations
    -Corporate training is a priority and very good, great job for people right out of school or brand new to industry
    -Great health benefits, time off
    -Work with awesome people

Cons

-Poor pay - low base, individual high quotas but pooled comp and no accelerators, so even if your performance is awesome your paycheck wont be
    -Inside management more concerned with appearances than results, everything considered a key metric except the only one that should really matter for a sales rep: how many $$$ did you bring in from your territory
    -High performers not rewarded, given more work until they burn out and leave. Few growth opportunities besides jr. management, go look elsewhere for a step up in a sales position
    -Micromanagement is a way of life on team

This should be a 5 star company, but reality for enterprise inside sales is 2 stars. Pay your people market rate. Let star performers grow with the company instead of resisting internal promotions, underpaying & forcing them to look elsewhere. Sales management needs a rethink, no strategy, just pressure without enough reward

Great but not for everyone

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Awesome product, and you feel you are working on something with truly historic implications. That makes it feel good to come to work and easy to be excited.
    * Customers love the product and company
    * Public persona of the company is exatcly what it's like internally, very honest and transparent

Cons

* Low pay, for everyone across the board. It's a given, that we are all accepting low salaries for the privilege of being part of Tableau
    * Young, hip, tech culture can be irritating if you're not 26 years old and ride a skateboard to work. It seems to be a requirement to have action figures on your desk. We're not 11 years old, folks.
    * The high energy rah-rah culture sometimes feels forced and a bit cult-ish, as if anything negative or critical is "not part of the Tableau culture".

Slow down!! Pay your people better, stop touting growth at all costs as a good thing.

Do not work for Corp IT

Former Employee - Infrastructure IT in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure IT in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Except for the parties and occasional free food that Tableau organizes for all the company, the group in Corp IT tends to not have as much budget or management to compare to other groups in the org.
    The overall culture at Tableau is great and you find awesome people to work with in other groups, however Corp IT appears to have fallen through the cracks and do not posses the same level of quality people

Cons

Lack of strong management, disgruntled, over worked team that will argue with you at every statement or opinion you make. This is found mainly in the Corp IT group (includes network engineering, server admins) - Helpdesk team is the exception as they are very helpful and have good personalities.
    *Encounter a lot of Type A personalities
    *Very week leadership willing to drive issues or communicate issues with upper management
    Unless your benefit package (including base and bonus) exceeds by a large margin your current salary, I would think twice before joining this team.