Tableau Software

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
4.2

Christian Chabot

Pros
  • You work with a great product and people who are intelligent and motivated (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great and hours are very flexible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I am honest, I can not think of any, except that our company is growing rapidly and that's a pro (in 6 reviews)

• We are experiencing the normal growing pains of a fast growing company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Area Manager  in  Fremont, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Area Manager in Fremont, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

work life balance and culture are great. every aspect is as simple as it can be.

Cons

it's growing so quickly- some things aren't as smooth as you would hope, but still very professional

Good mission, benefits, vision

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Connecting with customers as an engineer is hands-down amazing. I will always be proud of having conceived and delivered new features and user experiences, and then gratified to be able to interview users of the feature later. Tableau is going to keep making amazing new solutions happen in the self-service visualization and analytics space.

Cons

Fast growth and hiring that is (subtly) biased towards traditional Microsoft employees discourages exploration or awareness of different possible strategies. The core technical team played their growth strategy in too cavalier a manner, leaving later employees scrambling to compensate. The company's web strategy is frustrating to anyone coming from a web-centric background.

Great people, great product.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only one product, so the whole company pushes in the same direction. Very collaborative. Good small-company feel, even though the company is growing. Ability to make a difference, no matter your position.

Cons

Processes are not well defined, so there's a lot of ambiguity and things get dropped on the floor sometimes. We sometimes have crunch times, although this is getting better. May be growing too fast to maintain it's company culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely no longer a startup

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is fantastic and hours are flexible. Benefits are good, but not outstanding. The product itself is peerless and the development team is full of incredibly smart, helpful people who are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The company is going through all sorts of growing pains. The intimate startup feel is gone and upper management doesn't seem to care about individual employees. Internal promotions are paid WAY less than outside hires. 401(k) matching is kind of pathetic.

Follow through with your promises and give existing employees more incentive to stay.

Great product, Poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally good pay. Great people.

Cons

Product is not that simple. There are more support people than sales folks. Product can be very difficult and requires sales consultants for the initial sale and then more professional services after purchase. Tech support is always backlogged with requests. The show me function is not enough for self service and empowerment to the users.

Management does not recognized good people. Many of the senior level execs and VPs are looking at themselves and egos

NO Work Life balance.

recognize great people and put your on egos aside

Software Engineer

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

awesome company, great culture and atmosphere

Cons

maybe not profitable yet ?

Great Product, Culture and Vision.

Current Employee - Sales Area Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Area Manager

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing vision and trajectory of the product. Great overall culture and values. Rapidly growing so opportunities abound.

Cons

Comes with the rapid growth. Work-life balance can be challenging with the pace that Tableau is moving. Sales organization is struggling a bit with how to scale effectively.

Stick to the core values you have established. Careful with how quickly you scale the sales organization and the model you move forward with.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Tableau Software

Pros

Awesome work life balance. Lots of ways to have a large scoped impact. They put family first and their employees first.

Cons

Lots of ambiguity on how to achieve your goals - you need to be self-driven and not require hand-holding

More structure is always nice

Great work experience. Growth & more fun than a barrel of primates

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Tableau you'll find smart, passionate co-workers who up your game. You'll generally be able to follow your bliss as people are encouraged to contribute wherever and however they can. Want to start a side project? You'll nearly always find 2-3 people who'd love to pitch in. I'm psyched to come to work just about every day of the week. The CEO still knows most folks by their first name - even those of us in the field. Tableau really feels like family. Less politics than usual. You are encouraged to disagree and challenge the status quo assuming you have facts/data to support same.

Cons

Compensation is average. Pay is a touch low but evens out with stock and good medical bennies. 401K matching was recently instituted, but a touch low. Company is growing fast so this isn't the place for folks who don't thrive in an environment where change is constant.

Keep up the good work - continue to add from the outside, pulling in folks with deep enterprise experience to bolster our youthful exuberance. But don't turn us into SAP. Please.

Low Rates. No older employees. No diversity software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Food.
    Good product.
    Ok health benefits but not for large family

Cons

No middle aged peers. Seems ageist.
    Company is obsessed with everyone being the same cheesy personality like a Tech factory.
    Too many office events and you are looked at strangely for wanting to go home and keep work/life separate.
    Low pay rate for software engineer with 15 years experience it's laughable

Create a work life balance
    As a software engineer I can do my job at home as needed
    Strange that a tech company forces you to go in and forces you to hangout with peers off hours so much
    Create more diversity of age and cultures

Worked for Tableau Software? Contribute to the Community!