Tacit Knowledge

Updated August 11, 2014

4.8

Tacit Knowledge CEO Chris Andrasick
Chris Andrasick

Excellent company culture with strong focus on building high quality software using best practices and processes.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working with smart/fun people on a variety of challenging projects with highly visible clients. Very good work-life balance and very competitive pay. If you like consulting and solving real challenging projects, you'll enjoy working here.

Cons

Typical challenges when working with big enterprise projects: politics, pace in which things move can be frustrating with big companies.

Pros

Great culture, great work life balance, fun office outings and meals. Very collaborative environment.

Cons

Not really any, maybe more opportunities for training and cross office visits. It's easier to work with distributed teams if you've been able to see where they are and who they are.

Relatively high touch technology oriented consulting company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Solid technology consulting focus in the ecommerce space, which is often plagued with too many marketing, creative, advertising consultancies. The company is serious about providing solid integration and customization solutions with a foundation of excellent engineering practices.

Cons

Recent acquisition has left many employees wondering about the longevity of the current leadership team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great and Focused Software Engineering Shop

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible, friendly, and studious. The problems can be tough, but there are always plenty of support from other engineers. Engineers work closely with the clients to define project goals, the politics are minimal, and there is nobody here who is in opposition to our goals of writing beautiful code.

Cons

I'd like to see more greenfield projects as opposed to work with smaller scopes.

Focus on projects that will interest and retain the engineers, beware projects that are a ton of trouble to manage, and ensure the small-company culture is retained as we integrate with the big-feeling parent company.

Very smart, dedicated people and positive environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Tacit Knowledge is an engineering-driven company, with a focus on quality. Employees are very supportive of each other, and take interest in each others' projects. This is genuine interest, not like my last job, where someone asking you what you were working on meant you should watch your back. I've never worked at a place where everyone likes each other this much, or where everyone was this good at their jobs.

Cons

This is a consulting company, so there is likely to be travel (this could be a "pro" if you really like to travel), though it's not excessive. The interview/hiring process is pretty long, but this is only a con until you get through it. I guess high standards have costs.

Don't lose track of what makes Tacit what it is as we integrate with our new parent company.

Consultant

Current Employee - Developer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Remarkably little politics.
    - Approachable & enthusiastic upper management
    - Friendly & helpful co-workers
    - Varied & interesting work
    - Opportunities to work with a wide range of technologies
    - Nice offices

Cons

Training has been minimal, but rumors are this will change.
    More opportunities for certification would be useful.
    Personal career growth is possible, but challenging because of the small size of the offices.

- Try and keep the develop-centric culture.
    - Expand on the Open Source products
    - Improve support for professional accreditations.

Aug 4, 2014Office Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are thrilled to read your positive comments about the workplace environment and appreciate you sharing them with us! We are always looking at ways ... More

The best company I've worked for to date!

Current Employee - Office Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Very bright software consultants that have a real passion for what they do.
    - No politics
    - The team quickly becomes like a second family
    - Growth is a real possibility- if desired
    - Everyone respects, helps and appreciates each other
    If you express an interest in something, everyone is willing to spend time to talk through and help you better understand that specific area of interest.

Cons

- No downside at Tacit, seriously!

- Keep up the great work!
    - Continue to work on employee's career development, which is above average
    - Offer employees the chance to visit and work from other offices to meet/get to know employees at all TK locations.

Aug 4, 2014Office Manager

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on what it's like working at Tacit and are so happy to read your positive comments. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review!

My Best Working Experience to Date

Pros

Really good software consulting pros who know what they are doing and happy to share their knowledge. Hiring process is designed so people are a good fit both technically and culturally. Nobody takes themselves too seriously, but they are very serious about their work and the craft of software development. Whether it is eCommerce implementation, Dev Ops consulting, or 'proper' Project Management you want to pursue, this is the place to do it.

Cons

Typical consulting concerns; travel can be taxing, and projects that go on too long can feel stale.

Stay resolute on hiring and transparency. Continue to work on employee's career development, which is above average but not perfect.

Aug 4, 2014Office Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we value all of our employee's experiences. We know that there is always room for improvement and recognize that the nature of our work can ... More

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

No politics, growing, solid and experienced peers.

Cons

Very little travel opportunities available as most of the work is local

Aug 4, 2014Office Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it! We are always looking at ways we can make improvements and hope that you have had the opportunity to work on projects that allow you to travel ... More

It's great to work with smart people with the best-in-industry practices

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Pros

All team members are high performance persons, easily allowing teams to become high performance.
    Thorough recruiting process resulting on really smart people here, don't need to spend much time on letting them understand what and how things need to be done.
    Real transparency on company decisions, management, financial status, etc.
    Great flexibility in working hours and days off

Cons

Need to switch constantly between different projects and technologies... this is not exactly a cons but it can become hard to learn new things in a short time

Worked for Tacit Knowledge? Contribute to the Community!