Tacoma Community College

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
3.8

CEO

Fun place and diverse cultures

Current Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Tacoma Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, get to know people from different backgrounds and great opportunity to learn about different cultures. I'm a full time student who work part time, but my supervisors are very flexible about my schedules. I like working here, everyone gets along well and very close to each other.

Cons

I'm a part-time and I was forced to join the union which I didn't want to. They took out money from my paycheck, a full time student from different school, who works part-time here. The union is ripping off my small paycheck.

Being a Math Tutor was a Fun & Great Experience

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Tacoma Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, continued training in how to improve tutoring, nice & relaxed work environment

Cons

Not a job you would want to have forever, as there is really no advancement other than becoming the tutoring center's manager. The tutoring service is free and as a result you can sometimes get slammed at the end of the quarter/ have to tutor people you would otherwise turn away if it was a service I was selling.

Student staff with close working relationship with regular staff.

I worked at Tacoma Community College

Pros

Met some great people, was nice to be able to work for pay as part of financial aid package

Cons

Watching full time staff get laid off during state budget cuts was very difficult. Also hours cut back and my direct supervisor was severely underpaid for how long she had been there.

Pay your employees what they are worth. The student pay was fine, it was knowing that my supervisor should be making $5+ more an hour that was painful.

Decent employer

Former Employee - Tutor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Tacoma Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great job if you need something part time while a student. It is slightly above minimum wage and the people are fairly friendly to work with.

Cons

They have a limit on how many hours that tutors can work because they are not willing to give any benefits, even to their most seasoned tutors. It is a shame, because some of them definitely deserve it. They also have a wage lock, meaning that you cannot get a raise no matter how long you work for them.

Fix your pay system, it is embarrassing.

Bloated management that is completely out of touch with staff and instructors.

Former Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Tacoma Community College as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

benefits if you qualify, fellow instructors

Cons

Management is clueless about what is going on, management is grossly overpaid and clearly not interested in students. Typical government employee mentality.

Quit wasting money on programs that are of little value and cut back on midmanagement staff, pay lower level staff people more than minimum wage.

Exciting, skillful experience.

Former Intern - Office Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Former Intern - Office Assistant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Tacoma Community College as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Working with people, and learning knew skills

Cons

I didn't get a permanent position.

Like all adjuncts, I feel undervalued, but they have consistently given me classes every term.

Current Contractor - Adjunct in Tacoma, WA
    Current Contractor - Adjunct in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Tacoma Community College as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good secretarial support is offered.

Cons

No work guarantees, second class professor status

Include the contract professors; pay us for meetings.

An Institution dedicated to student's and employee's success and advancement.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Tacoma Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for growth. Use the tuition exemption waiver to take classes at UWT.

Cons

The different departments could work together a bit better by understanding the needs faced when things we cut back during the recession.

Good place to work as a part-time employee and student. I can't speak for the full-time staff and instructors

I worked at Tacoma Community College

Pros

Great understanding of the need to have time off to study for mid terms and finals
    Friendly co-workers
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Management doesn't listen to the needs of the students at times
    lack of benefits for part-timers
    Inability to work over 14 hours per week for part-timers

Ask your students and workers what they want and need. Things you seem to think they need, they don't really need, but things they do need aren't given to them.

Very beneficial college! Great for transferring into a four year college, and a campus that promotes success!

I worked at Tacoma Community College part-time

Pros

This college is filled with clubs, activities, and student engagement. The school is proactive, and looks towards the future. Their student government is strong, and if you choose to get involved at TCC it is a highly rewarding experience!

Cons

Nothing that will drive you too insane. Sometimes there is financial aid issues, but I've only heard about this, I did not experience this in the process of getting my degree.

You guys are awesome! Keep it up! :-)