Tagged

about.tagged.com

Tagged Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Greg Tseng

Great company, fun place to work

Visual Designer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Tight-knit team: made some long-lasting and great friends here
    - Really smart people, great place to learn how to run a large scale website
    - Company is doing extremely well; it's fun to be part of a successful story

Cons- Have trouble getting excited about the product; it just isn't something I would use personally
    - Engineering does run the show here, so it might be less fun for non-engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementMore balance between engineering and other departments might help things run more smoothly and keep other functions happier.

Really good perks even by Silicon Valley standards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe perks--free meals, free gym membership (to work off the free meals), dog friendly office, good location, unlimited time off...

The company is established enough that roles are sufficiently differentiated, but there is still a lot of flexibility and one is exposed to a variety of projects.

ConsPromotion policies are not transparent. Organizational structure could use some tweaking. Product has never quite found its identity.

A Good Social Network Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a fast developing social network company with lots of users. Good location and free food!

ConsThe salary is relatively low considering the high cost living in the city.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much passive aggressive behavior!

Pros3 meals per day for free. Salaries are above average.
    You can't get fired for doing a lousy job.

ConsOne manager fired a smart and hard-working employee for no apparent reason. Then it became obvious when the manager hired a friend to replace the employee.

What has the Stig team done for the company?

You can get fired simply because somebody doesn't like you no matter how well you do your job.

Managers took a billion dollar idea and turned it into a mere hundred million dollar company. If they executed the business idea well enough, they could have made a multi-billion dollar company instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself why the wrong people are fired!

Don't bother, it's not worth your time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLet's start off with the only pro. The culture is outstanding as for the perks;

1) Catered Lunches and Dinner. So many snacks and drinks that if you're not careful you'll gain a few pounds
    2) Unbelievable health benefits. If you select the High Deductible HSA they cover your deductible.
    3) Wellness benefits border on ridiculous, well if you read the fine print. Free Gym membership or $1000 reimbursement. The reimbursement is actually a taxable income, so another words it's 650 bucks or whatever your tax bracket is.
    4) Unlimited Vacation. Don't get excited they do it so they don't have to carry vacation time as debt on the books, but since almost everybody abuses it I guess there's that.
    5) Monthly Massages
    6) Dog friendly
    7) Bike Parking
    8) Booze
    9) You can literally be horrible at your job and not get fired

ConsThe executive staff care so much about the culture that they refuse to acknowledge that the rest of the organization including their core product has gone downhill.

Food pretty much sucks, they try but like their business model they can't figure out how to scale for growth. 200 people but they cater for about 120, if you don't eat by 12:10 you're pretty much SoL and have to go out for lunch. Which is cool, but don't claim that meals are part of our total comp.

The Product: Come on, it's 2014, why does your product still look like it was written for GeoCities? Oh I know why, you're engineering team is a joke. Grabbing code from stack overflow without knowing how it works does not make an engineer. When the concept of an SDLC was mentioned, one of your "Sr" Engineering managers threw his hands up and asked what that was. You are a software company, stop promoting incompetence and bring in some real engineering managers if you want to build a product with vision. Out of 60 engineers, maybe only a few are worth their salt. Most of your employees have no idea why you are still making money. The core product is a niche and won't keep your lights on for long.

Back stabbing runs rampant at Tagged. They want everyone to be touchy feely, but when you point out that someone or another group is not doing their job, it's met with comments about bullying. Seriously, grow up. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they start sobbing during the conversation.

Then to make matters worse, they turn around and bring up an HR complaint that you were bullying them instead of accepting the fact that they didn't do their job properly. Collaboration is a two way street folks, you can't sit there and cry and then say that other groups are not collaborating. They aren't collaborating because you are like a child.

Finally, I want to say the Peter Principle runs this place, but that would mean that people being promoted are good in their current jobs. Some are, most are not. There are people working at Tagged that would never be able to hold their current role anywhere else. If it wasn't so absurd it would be hilarious.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need real leadership in the organization and people not afraid to make decisions because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Still Nowhere I'd Rather Be

ProsFirst and foremost, the people. The warm, kind, smart, friendly, genuine people. And that extends all the way up to management, who are real people who really care. They genuinely, deeply care about each and every Taggolite, not just about our career paths but that we have healthy, happy lives outside of Tagged, too. Then, of course, the perks! Yoga, massages, more food than 7-11, 3 lunch options catered daily and dinner every night, billiards, darts and Foosball (oh my!), quarterly events, bike racks and repair, open pet policy, unlimited PTO, and the list goes on!

ConsIt's unfortunate that they don't have 401(k) matching. Admittedly, we sometimes struggle with clarity around the how but never about the what, and that's most important. We may explore a lot of different angles but all of us, top down, are clear on Tagged's mission/vision: to help everyone feel love and belonging by connecting people to each other anytime, anywhere via mobile. And that's a goal we can all be proud of and are aligned towards, no matter the difficulties getting there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

Ya can't put lipstick on a pig.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of perks (other reviews cover this).
    Recently, company is very willing to take risks and move in "unpopular" directions, i.e. willing to let culture take a backseat sometimes. Hope to see more of this type of internal growth and focus.

ConsMany people working at Tagged do not seem to understand the larger technological forces at play (other reviews point at Google and Facebook as if they're the only others...). There's a technological culture at Tagged that is sorely missed: where are the seasoned developers and engineers? Why is data storage such a mess? Why are there so many holes in the product's infrastructure? Why hasn't there been a serious drive to stabilize and beautify the product?

Internal competition leaves much to be desired. Teams fight for product ownership, other's are milquetoast in fear of responsibility, others result to name calling or worse. This is unhealthy and teams need to band together in an effort to make the product better. Competition is great, but adversary is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementA dose of reality is probably needed: Don't talk about changing the world if you're unwilling to change the product into something that deserves to be around in the future. It comes off as insincere and gilded.

Is Tagged a business or a daycare for adults?

Keep the perks, but also demand more from teams. Don't be afraid to say something is crap and start over. Have higher standards, but also understand that perfection doesn't happen over night.

Slaughter the pig, eat the bacon, keep moving forward.

Good, but upper management incompetent

Machine Learning Master (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood perks and good hours

ConsUpper management doesn't know what they are doing, but it doesn't really affect me so I still rate 5 stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

Still Solid

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe talented people, the culture, the perks, and the opportunity to advance and have an impact. Some places just preach meritocracy, but Tagged backs it up. Good work is rewarded and you are excited to keep succeeding.

ConsSometimes strategic priorities shift too often, and some product decisions seem questionable. Also sometimes they run out of my favorite bottled beer before I can grab a second one during every Friday team meeting/happy hour. Sometimes you have to scout the lunch menu ahead of time if you want to get your favorite thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're on the right track, just deliver.

Start up wanting to grow up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company perks. Catered lunch and dinner, fully stock kitchen. Community outings and service provides a good avenue for employees to interact outside of work. Excellent medical and dental benefits. The bike racks are great!

ConsLots of food so watch your food consumption though the gym memberships can help with this issue. Resource constraints is something to be fearful with.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide proper guidance and consider long term realistic planning.

Worked for Tagged? Contribute to the Community!