Tagged

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
3.4

Greg Tseng

Nice people, cool stuff I got to work on

I worked at Tagged as a contractor

Pros

They will treat you really well. Management really listens to people. They are driven to continue creating great stuff.

Cons

Some of the engineers have a bit of an attitude to the non-engineering folks - this is typical

clean up your online reputation, because Tagged is much better than it seems online!

Great company! Great culture!

I worked at Tagged

Pros

The people really make Tagged great. There are so many interesting, smart, and positive people there.

Cons

They seem to remain in the start up mentality which makes career progression and advancement difficult.

If you say we're all a family, then act like it. Company wide layoffs and financial justifications have no place in the discussion when family is involved.

Good culture masks structural rot

I worked at Tagged

Pros

The company has a lot of great, motivated, and smart people working for them. The perks and culture are unparalleled, and you will have an enjoyable day at work.

Cons

The culture is a shell-game designed to mask a lot of structural management issues. Company shifts direction half-heartedly with extreme frequency. Management cannot seem to stick with a decision once it has been made.

Great company, fun place to work

Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tagged full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Tight-knit team: made some long-lasting and great friends here
    - Really smart people, great place to learn how to run a large scale website
    - Company is doing extremely well; it's fun to be part of a successful story

Cons

- Have trouble getting excited about the product; it just isn't something I would use personally
    - Engineering does run the show here, so it might be less fun for non-engineers

More balance between engineering and other departments might help things run more smoothly and keep other functions happier.

Really good perks even by Silicon Valley standards

I worked at Tagged full-time

Pros

The perks--free meals, free gym membership (to work off the free meals), dog friendly office, good location, unlimited time off...

The company is established enough that roles are sufficiently differentiated, but there is still a lot of flexibility and one is exposed to a variety of projects.

Cons

Promotion policies are not transparent. Organizational structure could use some tweaking. Product has never quite found its identity.

Bunch of people who don't know anything

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tagged full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, and that's about it
    Don't have to work hard, or come in early
    Free lunch and dinner
    $1000 a year on "wellness"

Cons

Awful awful code base
    Coworkers that have senior titles but are at an intern level of talent
    People who care more about having a pro-company attitude than actually trying hard to doing well
    Massive amount of politics on every level
    Product is awful, and no one likes it or uses it, but everyone pretends like it's special

Senior management needs to get their act together and stop ditching out of work to go to exec level non work related conferences
    Get rid of everyone who has been at the company for 3+ years and is just coasting
    Admit that no one cares about the product or uses it, and that's ok
    Think of reasons to retain talent instead of just watching everyone quit week after week

A Good Social Network Company to work for

I worked at Tagged as an intern

Pros

It's a fast developing social network company with lots of users. Good location and free food!

Cons

The salary is relatively low considering the high cost living in the city.

Too much passive aggressive behavior!

I have been working at Tagged full-time

Pros

3 meals per day for free. Salaries are above average.
    You can't get fired for doing a lousy job.

Cons

One manager fired a smart and hard-working employee for no apparent reason. Then it became obvious when the manager hired a friend to replace the employee.

What has the Stig team done for the company?

You can get fired simply because somebody doesn't like you no matter how well you do your job.

Managers took a billion dollar idea and turned it into a mere hundred million dollar company. If they executed the business idea well enough, they could have made a multi-billion dollar company instead.

Ask yourself why the wrong people are fired!

Don't bother, it's not worth your time.

I worked at Tagged full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Let's start off with the only pro. The culture is outstanding as for the perks;

1) Catered Lunches and Dinner. So many snacks and drinks that if you're not careful you'll gain a few pounds
    2) Unbelievable health benefits. If you select the High Deductible HSA they cover your deductible.
    3) Wellness benefits border on ridiculous, well if you read the fine print. Free Gym membership or $1000 reimbursement. The reimbursement is actually a taxable income, so another words it's 650 bucks or whatever your tax bracket is.
    4) Unlimited Vacation. Don't get excited they do it so they don't have to carry vacation time as debt on the books, but since almost everybody abuses it I guess there's that.
    5) Monthly Massages
    6) Dog friendly
    7) Bike Parking
    8) Booze
    9) You can literally be horrible at your job and not get fired

Cons

The executive staff care so much about the culture that they refuse to acknowledge that the rest of the organization including their core product has gone downhill.

Food pretty much sucks, they try but like their business model they can't figure out how to scale for growth. 200 people but they cater for about 120, if you don't eat by 12:10 you're pretty much SoL and have to go out for lunch. Which is cool, but don't claim that meals are part of our total comp.

The Product: Come on, it's 2014, why does your product still look like it was written for GeoCities? Oh I know why, you're engineering team is a joke. Grabbing code from stack overflow without knowing how it works does not make an engineer. When the concept of an SDLC was mentioned, one of your "Sr" Engineering managers threw his hands up and asked what that was. You are a software company, stop promoting incompetence and bring in some real engineering managers if you want to build a product with vision. Out of 60 engineers, maybe only a few are worth their salt. Most of your employees have no idea why you are still making money. The core product is a niche and won't keep your lights on for long.

Back stabbing runs rampant at Tagged. They want everyone to be touchy feely, but when you point out that someone or another group is not doing their job, it's met with comments about bullying. Seriously, grow up. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they start sobbing during the conversation.

Then to make matters worse, they turn around and bring up an HR complaint that you were bullying them instead of accepting the fact that they didn't do their job properly. Collaboration is a two way street folks, you can't sit there and cry and then say that other groups are not collaborating. They aren't collaborating because you are like a child.

Finally, I want to say the Peter Principle runs this place, but that would mean that people being promoted are good in their current jobs. Some are, most are not. There are people working at Tagged that would never be able to hold their current role anywhere else. If it wasn't so absurd it would be hilarious.

You need real leadership in the organization and people not afraid to make decisions because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Still Nowhere I'd Rather Be

I have been working at Tagged full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people. The warm, kind, smart, friendly, genuine people. And that extends all the way up to management, who are real people who really care. They genuinely, deeply care about each and every Taggolite, not just about our career paths but that we have healthy, happy lives outside of Tagged, too. Then, of course, the perks! Yoga, massages, more food than 7-11, 3 lunch options catered daily and dinner every night, billiards, darts and Foosball (oh my!), quarterly events, bike racks and repair, open pet policy, unlimited PTO, and the list goes on!

Cons

It's unfortunate that they don't have 401(k) matching. Admittedly, we sometimes struggle with clarity around the how but never about the what, and that's most important. We may explore a lot of different angles but all of us, top down, are clear on Tagged's mission/vision: to help everyone feel love and belonging by connecting people to each other anytime, anywhere via mobile. And that's a goal we can all be proud of and are aligned towards, no matter the difficulties getting there.

Stay the course.