Tagged
about.tagged.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Tagged Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Greg Tseng

Good, but upper management incompetent

Machine Learning Master (Former Employee)

I worked at Tagged as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsGood perks and good hours

ConsUpper management doesn't know what they are doing, but it doesn't really affect me so I still rate 5 stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

Still Solid

I have been working at Tagged full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe talented people, the culture, the perks, and the opportunity to advance and have an impact. Some places just preach meritocracy, but Tagged backs it up. Good work is rewarded and you are excited to keep succeeding.

ConsSometimes strategic priorities shift too often, and some product decisions seem questionable. Also sometimes they run out of my favorite bottled beer before I can grab a second one during every Friday team meeting/happy hour. Sometimes you have to scout the lunch menu ahead of time if you want to get your favorite thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're on the right track, just deliver.

Start up wanting to grow up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tagged for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company perks. Catered lunch and dinner, fully stock kitchen. Community outings and service provides a good avenue for employees to interact outside of work. Excellent medical and dental benefits. The bike racks are great!

ConsLots of food so watch your food consumption though the gym memberships can help with this issue. Resource constraints is something to be fearful with.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide proper guidance and consider long term realistic planning.

Amazingly friendly, challenging company!

I have been working at Tagged full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTagged has amazing benefits from tons of snacks,drinks, catered lunch and dinner to great medical, dental, vision and even pet insurance. They even have a wellness benefit that reimburses you for fitness related stuff.

The office was recently redone and looks amazing.

Everyone is very friendly and helpful from day one.

People often make friendships and go out to happy hours, movie nights, etc together.

The culture emphasizes communication and collaboration while also independence. You can get help when you need it while not being boggled down by unnecessary interference.

Challenging projects.

ConsThat one time I had those bad egg wraps :(

Save your sanity and work someplace else!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tagged full-time for more than a year

ProsFree food. Good salaries. Good benefits.

ConsThere is a high tolerance in some departments for passive-aggressive behaviors, back-stabbing, and gossiping. People who made lots of drama and insisted that coworkers by fired should have been fired themselves, but the managers just coddled such drama-makers. Despite being rated as a great place to work, there is a lot of turnover at Tagged. People are routinely fired for no apparent reason, or given a reason of "you don't fit in here". This is not just my opinion; I asked several other current and former employees about recent firings. A lot of people left because of low morale over seeing their coworkers treated poorly by managers, or by other coworkers and managers did nothing to stop it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can do itself a favor by enacting a policy of making sure top and middle managers behave more professionally to employees. Managers don't ask themselves: "What are we doing wrong to have such high turnover?" They assume that if somebody doesn't fit in, the person must be at fault, rather than asking how the company and managers can improve themselves. There should be less tolerance for drama makers, and more encouragement for people who try to do their work.

Too much drama

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tagged full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly group of people, good work/life balance, good food, insanely good health care and benefits. Ability to have a big impact on product design and development. Lots of fun events.

ConsToo much drama at the upper management levels, and the direction shifts seemingly every other day. The company grew too quickly and it was kind of hectic.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Tagged has an amazing culture, supportive managers and great communication between executives and the team.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tagged full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture is laid back, friendly and collaborative. The compensation is more than fair and the benefits (heath, in house - ie: yoga, massages, etc and extra perks) are all more than I could have ever dreamed of. And the food is top notch, too! Management is constantly looking for feedback on how to improve the employee experience and they are always willing to foster an environment for the employees to learn and grow personally and professionally.

ConsBecause of all of the great perks, it seems that some employees feel entitled.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the company and executive transparency.

Excitement of a startup, success of a mature business

I have been working at Tagged full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you’re looking to work in the tech industry but want a company that’s more established than the average startup, this is the place to be. Tagged is unique in that it has the culture and perks of startup life, but the company is stable and even profitable, while many startups are not.

Tagged encourages teamwork and collaboration in a variety of means, including an open seating arrangement. The CEO and other execs aren’t behind closed doors; they sit at desks arranged in “pods” just like the rest of the company. This makes for easy communication within teams and between different areas of the company as well.

One of the best parts about working for Tagged, in my opinion, is the culture of transparency. It’s no secret to employees how Tagged is doing as a business; the team is made well aware of what is working and what is not. Company-wide meetings each Friday serve as an open platform for different teams to share what they’re working on, which I greatly appreciate as someone on the non-engineering side of the business. The Team Meetings also allow employees to ask questions of the executive team through an anonymous “feedback box.”

Ultimately, the people here are what make Tagged such a great place to work – there is some top notch talent and it’s easy to see how that is driving the company forward. Plus, employees really care about the company’s values and culture, which makes Tagged a truly special team to be a part of.

ConsThe product itself can be hard to sell. Tagged.com is very “Web 1.0” to say the least, despite the fact that we have a team that’s beyond capable of building beautiful products. While I’m proud to work for Tagged, I’m not eager to show the site off to people outside of the company.

Working for Tagged, or any startup, also means that change is constant. The product vision is constantly in flux, which is exciting but also frustrating at times. Certain ideas work and others do not – and it’s difficult to see hard work put into initiatives that don’t come to fruition.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t be afraid to take risks when it comes to the Tagged product. In my mind it’s worth making big changes to the site, and ultimately this is what will drive us forward and allow us to become a big player in the technology space.

refreshing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tagged as an intern for less than a year

Prosthe people, the environment, and massage Tuesdays!

Consfelt like I could be doing more. The work was not too challenging.

TLDR; great company...product can use some improvement.

I have been working at Tagged full-time

Pros- Great work culture
- The people here are very friendly, interesting, and intelligent
- Good perks and benefits
- The nature of the company exposes you to a lot of technical knowledge that you would otherwise not get at a much larger company (great learning opportunities!)

Cons- The website. It looks like it was made in the 90s.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some effort into making the site look more professional and less "busy". We're actually in the progress of seriously committing to this now so we'll see how it goes.

Worked for Tagged? Contribute to the Community!

Tagged Videos

Tagged – Why Work for Us?

Careers at Tagged. Tagged makes social discovery products that enable anyone to meet and socialize with new people. We facilitate over 100 million new social connections every month. Anyone. Anywhere. Anytime. We are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tagged reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tagged CEO Greg Tseng. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Tagged employees.