Tahirih Justice Center

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014

Layli Miller-Muro
1 Rating

Effective services but disorganized structure

Current Employee - National Resource in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - National Resource in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Tahirih Justice Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, fully paid individual medical. There is a decent amount of autonomy. Clients bring a lot of delicious treats into the office.

Cons

The reporting structure seems poorly thought through and some of the management seem like ineffective and questionable choices for their roles and responsabilities. I also find there to be a lot of ego...A LOT, especially from management. This just creates an environment where only a few people seemingly know everything and everyone else is treated as simple plebians. I'm also surprised by the amount of inner office gossip, not only amongst plebians, but certain management members partake as well. After awhile, it just seems very childish - and sometimes the environment feels like a sorority...and not the good kind.

Invest in HR NOW! Operations isn't cutting it, and there are some serious issues that cannot be addresses because there is no objectivity. Also, you employ all women, you are an NPO, and these female employees will never be financially secure because there salaries are low AND you don't offer a 401K match. Invest in your employees! I also think this will indirectly lead to less gossip. My last bit of advice is to stop splitting roles, whether its at the managerial level or entry level. Its too much for one person and they end up doing everything only halfway. Divide up labor and distinguish between responsabilities and hire more staff if need be - but enough of one person charged with 10 different, and often unrelated, jobs.

It was ok.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tahirih Justice Center

Pros

Great mission. Committed and dedicated staff.

Cons

High turnover. Relatively low pay.

None.