Tahirih Justice Center Reviews

Layli Miller-Muro

1. HR & Fund Development Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Burtonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Burtonsville, MD

I have been working at Tahirih Justice Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and professional environment, filled with empowered women

Cons

Limited office space due to growth

2. Inspiring NGO vision and work combined with lawfirm level organization & budget management

Pros

I have worked at several large and well known NGOs (both domestic and U.S. based international organizations) and nothing compares to the level of competence, expertise, and vision of Tahirih. I feel supported by kind and visionary supervisors and have the best work-life balance of my life. Also, given the stellar reputation that Tahirih has garnered over the year with policy makers and colleague organizations I am always greeted positively others given that our reputation for consultation, collaboration, and excellence apparently precede me everywhere I go. Makes it easy to build partnerships and work on coalitions :-)

Cons

As with any NGO upward mobility is going to be a challenge and salaries are not going to be as competitive as your private firm/sector friends. But they will be if you compare yourself to hill staffers in DC :-) And management does try hard to recognize talent and reward that in positive ways be it an expanded role or salary increase, or both.

3. Effective services but disorganized structure

Current Employee - National Resource in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - National Resource in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Tahirih Justice Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, fully paid individual medical. There is a decent amount of autonomy. Clients bring a lot of delicious treats into the office.

Cons

The reporting structure seems poorly thought through and some of the management seem like ineffective and questionable choices for their roles and responsabilities. I also find there to be a lot of ego...A LOT, especially from management. This just creates an environment where only a few people seemingly know everything and everyone else is treated as simple plebians. I'm also surprised by the amount of inner office gossip, not only amongst plebians, but certain management members partake as well. After awhile, it just seems very childish - and sometimes the environment feels like a sorority...and not the good kind.

Advice to Management

Invest in HR NOW! Operations isn't cutting it, and there are some serious issues that cannot be addresses because there is no objectivity. Also, you employ all women, you are an NPO, and these female employees will never be financially secure because there salaries are low AND you don't offer a 401K match. Invest in your employees! I also think this will indirectly lead to less gossip. My last bit of advice is to stop splitting roles, whether its at the managerial level or entry level. Its too much for one person and they end up doing everything only halfway. Divide up labor and distinguish between responsabilities and hire more staff if need be - but enough of one person charged with 10 different, and often unrelated, jobs.

5. It was ok.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Great mission. Committed and dedicated staff.

Cons

High turnover. Relatively low pay.

Advice to Management

None.

RSS Feed </> Embed