Tail Light Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Matthew G Twyman

1. I really enjoy Ristken!!

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tail Light full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i either came in at a really good time or I just don't know what to tell you. Ristken has been a great company to work for. When I got hired on, everyone gave me a warm welcome and communicated with me well during the hire-on process on what was expected from me and characteristic I can use to succeed. Then they engulfed me in the company culture within that week dedicated to their core values. The people are cool and the environment is casual. Overall, I can see myself staying here for a long time which is always a plus.

Cons

I haven't quite identified anything I haven't just don't like about Ristken. However, they have tools you can utilize to complain if you did such as Boxwire, they've been advertising.Then again, I have only been with the company for little under a month but I can say the first impression is one of a kind.

Advice to Management

Keep on being brilliant at new ways to keep your team dedicated - It's highly respectable.

Ristken Isn't So Bad

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Addison, TX

I worked at Tail Light full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, no PTO policy, good pay, Mac book Pros (last time I heard), improving architecture and infrastructure, and leadership that cares quite a bit about morale. If a developer demonstrates competency and is mature, he or she will have no problem excelling at Ristken. If a developer is strong, Ristken will reward that developer greatly. This company has the most flexible work schedule I have ever seen. If you need to work from home for a week, just do it. As long as your work is done, the management doesn't care where you work from. Ristken can be an awesome place to work. With that said, you get what you give. Today is Friday the 13th (2/13/2015) so I wouldn't be shocked if the CEO is taking the company on a fun outing today or tonight. Friday the 13th's seem to have a special meaning at Ristken for some reason.

Cons

Ristken is going through growing pains right now. Over the past year or so, they have taken on big customers. Some of these customers forced Ristken to completely reevaluate compliance issues and a ton of other things Ristken didn't have to worry about before. Legacy code still has to be maintained while newer technologies are adopted. Who gets to work on legacy code? The developers who know how to work on it. Who gets to work on new technology? Whoever isn't working on legacy code gets to use AngularJS, etc. It isn't fair, but Ristken is a business, not a school. If a developer is tasked with working on legacy code and he or she wants to use newer technologies to stay current, they should find a way to use the newer technologies, even if it means putting in more time. It will only benefit them in the long run. The Core Values are not just lip service. The CEO really believes in them. However, Ristken is a business and they don't have time to coddle anyone. If a developer complains that the CEO doesn't follow his own core values, that developer should ask himself or herself if he or she is following the core values.

Advice to Management

Haters are gonna hate so my advice to Matt and his leadership team is to just keep moving forward and don't look back too much.

3. Great people, exceptional benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tail Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best group of people I've had the pleasure of working with. They sincerely care about their employee's well being and their outstanding list of benefits reflect that.

Cons

Disconnect at times between departments

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees and your employees will return the favor

Would not recommend unless you are really interested in the automotive industry.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Tail Light full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company still has market place opportunity from what I can tell even though I haven't been at the company for years. Most of the developers were good people at the time and decent people to work around. The CEO understands the business very well. Benefits are probably over-hyped, but were still good.

Cons

There is a reason the turnover rate has remained unusually high especially for developers. You may just need to try it for yourself to understand, but I would recommend asking during your interview how many developers have come and gone in the last year (and why). It's not so hard to find a more recent ex-employee on social media who can honestly answer any questions or concerns. I would like to think it has gotten better, but the other recent reviews on this site would seem to indicate it hasn't.

Advice to Management

The core values seem to be more lip service for the technical staff. You have great ideas & goals, but the personalities of the management team often have a negative impact overall. The trail of ex-employees who have left with an unpleasant taste is growing too fast for what should be acceptable of a small company.

Automotive Industry tactics attempted in a technology shop

Former Employee - "Titles Mean Nothing" in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - "Titles Mean Nothing" in Addison, TX

I worked at Tail Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people at Ristken share the same company experiences, so having friends within the company is not hard. There's a lot to be fixed which equates to no shortage of work for staff.

Cons

The leaders of the company are literally ex car salesmen - that's what they used to do. These "salesmen" tactics unfortunately do not work in today's workforce and anyone with an IQ above a first grader will catch on very quickly to their shady antics.

Advice to Management

Money spent selling a struggling company to potential employees would be better spent reinforcing technology utilized to support your clients. Values mean nothing unless you're willing to live by them yourself.

Great flexibility and great work environment

Pros

Amazing working place with fun company events. In a smaller work place like Ristken, there are lots of opportunities to work with colleagues from other departments on all kinds of projects. You get to know everyone on a personal basis and build great relationships. The company is family oriented providing great flexibility. No PTO policy; working from home if needed, and great benefits.

Cons

Maybe the lack of firm policies, which is expected from a small company. In certain situations not having firm policies provide great advantage to get things done faster.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and supporting your employees. Continue focusing on company goals.

Best company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Tail Light full-time

Pros

Benefits: Amazing. From insurance to PTO, Ristken is worlds better than any company I have worked for in the past. The People: At times it feels almost family-like but still maintaining professionalism. Everyone knows each other's name. We laugh together. We work hard together. Everyone knows their "stuff" and performs well. Great group of people. The Culture: Growth and learning is very much encouraged. The CEO fosters an environment that promotes reading, often purchasing books for us to keep and read. There is an amazing break-room with Ping-Pong, Shuffle-Board, Cable TV, sodas, bottled water (and often snacks) that are provided to the employees at no charge. Leadership continues to come up with fun and new ideas of things we can do together as a company - one year we had bowling trips with our families, another we went to the State Fair together. We've gone to a nice restaurant on Friday night and eaten dinner. We frequently have pizza parties at work or sandwiches will be brought in. We've done an ice cream party before and today we had a movie day in the office. Personal Growth: I feel free to express ideas and opinions within my department to help improve not only my job but also (hopefully) the long-term vision of the company. There are definitely individuals in management that make me feel valued for what I do in the company. I'm consistently motivated to learn and do more.

Cons

On the surface it may appear there is little room for promotions/internal growth because we are not a huge company, but my personal opinion is the employees are only limited by our own imaginations. I have seen numerous positions created with internal candidates receiving the jobs since I have worked here. As we continue to grow as a company, I think each individual working here has new opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to give the people that work for you the encouragement and opportunities for growth and creativity. We will rise to the occasion.

Tail Light Response

Jun 17, 2014 – CEO

Have Fun [Core Value 7] Build Relationships [Core Value 8] Pursue Growth & Learning [Core Value 5] We are very pleased you have shared your feelings! It’s nice to read that many of our ... More

9. Good friendly place to work!

I have been working at Tail Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like small company and work with people close 1:1, then this is the best company to work for. Friendly environment, Compensation is comparable, Vacation plan and other benefits are good as well, Lot of work need more talented people to fulfill all the work load

Cons

Its a small company, we are going thought growing pains, just like any small company want to grow faster then they can handle, Lot of work not enough people.

Advice to Management

Hire more people FAST!

10. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Tail Light full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere - Room to grow and to share your ideas. You will learn a lot since there is a great culture of learning and team work. Helpful coworkers - In general everyone is friendly and helpful... Feels like a family work-life balance - Great culture, unlimited vacation, flexibility to work from home if needed Staff bonding opportunities - Company parties are fun, great food, well put together Hiring process was quick and professional

Cons

Lack of documentation makes it little difficult to maintain the applications, but that goes with a small company.

Advice to Management

No complaints as of now. Keep up the good work!

11. Great people, Good culture

Pros

Great group of people who work there. Great office space

Cons

engineers still using older machines. legacy code makes it hard to maintain

RSS Feed </> Embed