Tait Communications

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

David Wade
1 Rating

Great people, great products and entrepreneurial spirit.

I worked at Tait Communications

Pros

A strong product portfolio of critical communications solutions and a proud history
    Work at the leading edge of technology in Public Safety, Utilities, Oil & Gas and Mining

Cons

Small player in a contracting and highly competitive global market.
    Distance of head office and R&D from main markets creates misalignment with market needs

Include regional sales directly in long-term planning and product portfolio decisions.

Layoffs year after year ...

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed culture. The people are friendly. Salary is competitive. Benefits good. 401k, not so great.

Cons

Unfortunate as it is, they really do not know what they're doing here. Lack of vision, late product enhancements, inability to compete effectively in the market, sales is a revolving door, they are sorely mismanaged, lots of misplaced talent, old systems, manual processes, and R&D, depleted. This place reeks of 1990s work culture, sans the dot matrix printer ...

Layoffs, year after year ... but no one will tell you this until you're fully committed or next on the chopping block.

It is a private company so they also will not tell you that they are in full downward spiral (as a previous reviewer mentioned). Talent is being scooped up in droves by the competition and they keep tenured employees who are complacent, paper pushers. The employees who ultimately get pushed out the door will leave with no skillset enhancement since their processes and systems are so old.

Get real. Save the talent.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Appreciation for diversity, flexible, focus on teamwork, open-door management style practiced, great benefits!

Cons

Currently no room for personal growth or promotion; have not issued bonuses over the last two years

No advice at this time

Company in a death spiral. The best news is that the CEO (Frank Owen) has resigned.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still some talented workers left there, although most are now heading for the door, and while Steve Cragg was running the Americas life was generally pretty reasonable there. When he left and went to Sepura, Tait went to hell in a hand-basket.

Cons

Senior Management is in disarray lacking clear direction, especially with regards to product development.
    Consequently there are now way behind the curve and becoming less competitive with every day that passes.

Think globally, act locally. Break down the cliques and infighting. Get product development back on track.

A great bunch of people to work with!

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Competitive salary
    *Great work/life balance
    *Opportunities to learn and grow in my field
    *Wonderful people to work with

Cons

*A little instability lately, but I think it was for the right reasons. We'll hopefully come out better because of it and be headed in the right direction
    *Employee engagement could use a boost

Focus on making sure the employees that are still here are happy and know they are appreciated - whatever their personal motivation might be. We have some key talent that it would be a shame to lose them because they didn't feel valued.

Growing Global Organization

I have been working at Tait Communications full-time

Pros

Tait is a global leader in designing, delivering and managing innovative communication solutions that help utilities and public safety organizations to keep the lights on and communities safe.

Our difference? A total devotion to our customers’ causes, combined with the commitment to listen, courage to act and integrity to deliver what we promise.

Cons

Need to recruit more talent!

Need a better job, now!!!

Current Employee - Temp Wireless Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Temp Wireless Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tait Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is average, opportunity is little to none

Cons

Lack of training and advancement

Don't Go.

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They spend a lot of money.
    compensation is good.
    Very relaxed culture

Cons

They have no idea what they are doing.

Only if you really need a job....

I have been working at Tait Communications

Pros

The people overall are friendly and it s a very woman-friendly company. Lots of single mothers (and soon-to-be-single mothers).
    Its also a very "accent-friendly" environment. Very multicultural and you can expect to talk to people from around the globe on a daily basis.

Cons

The pay is in the bottom part of the industry and they are centrally located in Houston. So if you want to work for Tait, you have to move to Houston. Not the worst place...but up there.

Opportunities for growth basically come from attrition. If you last long enough, you will be promoted. They seem to turn over management people every 18-24 months, so be aware of that.

For a company which has been around for 40 years (20 in the US), they still do not seem to know what they want to do "when they grow up". Its a constant flux of people, ideas, and directions.

And since the company is NZ-based, expect the Kiwi's to be involved - from a distance - with any decision making, or anything else of consequence. Although they are like 10k miles away and live on an island, they are deeply involved in the culture and directions - to a fault.

My advice to the management would be to spin off the US operations (equally for the other geographic regions). Since the company is not ready to play with the big boys of the industry, they need to behave accordingly.

Some of the most talented people that I have worked with

Former Employee - Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Design Engineer

I worked at Tait Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My line managers really cared for my needs and made sure that my career progression was moving where I wanted it. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. Autonomy within your particular field. Amazing work/life balance with 40 hour working weeks most the time.

Cons

During the time I worked there, no bonuses. Not the place to work if you want to do low-level computer or electronic engineering, they are slowly shutting down that part of the business.

The upper management during my time there have departed; don't make the same mistakes that they did.

Tait Communications Photos

Tait Staff
A glimpse of the Tait factory
Tait Communicaitons Americas Headquarters