Take-Two

Strauss Zelnick

Nice working in T2, but that's all

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Take-Two full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

T2 is a nice company, which has nice environment and culture, people there are nice in general. There's no dressing code, so Jeans and T-Shirt are normal. Management is flexible about the pressures of your personal life.

Cons

You can learn a lot by working in T2, but that's it, I don't think it's easy to go on next level within the company, lock of communications between labels and corporation

A challenging environment and great place to start a career in games

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Take-Two full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Good management
    - Analytics driven but allow creativity
    - Compensation and raises were always good
    - Reasonable hours
    - Good career guidance

Cons

- Working with labels could be challenging
    - Limited career opportunities

- Seek qualified candidates and promote internally

"Jump on the opportunity to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Take-Two (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture that sponsors growth, and looking to develop new processes to retain and promote from within. Some of the brightest technologist I've worked with. Relaxed corporate culture that lets you have some individuality.

Cons

can't say I've seen cons that aren't being rapidly addressed currently.

Bureaucratic issues will stonewall you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Take-Two full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Manager, Director level and above is smooth sailing, you will be promoted for showing up to work and sticking with it for a few years. Eventually you will plateau.

You will learn a lot, especially about office politics. Work life balance is what you make of it, they will not force you to work weekends.

Cons

Corporate culture does not match studio culture. Pay is on the low end for most positions, poor bonus structure.

Bureaucratic issues run wild and will prevent you from succeeding in any project or career advancement. Rewards do not coincide with performance.

The HR department has turned over numerous times, a bad sign in general. The IT department has turned over 4 times in the last 5 years, and other departments at startling rates.

Get rid of redundant management and poor performers. Look for the few leaders that stand out and give them the freedom to succeed.

Spent over a year being overworked, under appreciated and underpaid, and left for a job where I can make an impact.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Take-Two full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits package offered is actually very good compared to what is out there. I met some great people working for the company, and there is nice collaboration between departments within the Corporate office. The office decor is nice, depending on which department you are in. Free bottled water is nice, if you know where to find it.

Cons

There is no work-life balance here. The corporate culture is non-existent. They sell a "cool, creative and fun" environment, but it truly is anything but. That is the culture at many of the labels, but not at HQ. The worse place to be in this company is in HQ. The message that is perceived by corporate employees is "you don't make games, so you don't matter." This is reflected both in pay and treatment. The HR Department has actually turned over almost entirely twice in the last 4-5 years. Major red flag.

Performance management is a funny thing here. Employees are compensated more for seniority than they are for being high performers. After walking into a major mess and huge projects already happening, my manager told me, "Everyone gets 'Meets Expectations' in their first year" - not quite reviewing performance if everyone gets the same thing no matter what.

Those seeking work for one of the labels will be much better off, as the pay is higher and bonus payouts are more lucrative.

Pay more attention to the employees in corporate who bust their tails to support, serve and bend over backwards for the labels. There is a huge disconnect from department heads to those in the trenches. A couple of departments have had mass exodus lately, and this is likely one reason why.

My experience was mostly negative working at Take-Two. The QA department was poorly managed and unsatisfactory.

Former Employee - Compliance Tester in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Tester in Northridge, CA

I worked at Take-Two as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Day shift ends at 7:00 PM allowing employees to get home earlier than most QA dayshift positions.

Cons

Poor management and leadership, poor QA department rules and regulations. QA department development, incentives and testing procedures are less than average and at times counter intuitive to efficient testing.

Change policies to better suit employee retention, development and encouragement.

Take-two was a great place to work for, being a QA tester was fun and rewarding.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Take-Two full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere was exhilarating, getting to go to work and essentially play a video game all day. "Choose your own adventure" was a motto at the Las Vegas location. Giving workers the opportunity to pick what game they wanted to work on. The workers are all very inviting and very respectful and the management is always willing to help and give advice.

Cons

The sudden over time can get a little out of control, but they do give you OT pay for your time. Some of the tasks that are given can be very mundane, but that's the nature of the beast when you have to check and recheck certain facets of the game and data. The pipeline for those with art degrees is none existent, you can only move to other areas in the QA department, not jump into the actual creation of the games themselves.

great opportunity to build experience, but get out once you realize how much you're worth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Take-Two full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual work environment, no micromanagment / no one looking over your shoulder. great place to work if you have a family, management is flexible about the pressures of your personal life.

Cons

communication is a mess. no one cares about fixing what's broken in the company. entry-level guys are worked to the bone with no hope of improved salary/position, management doesn't care about your future at the company.

invest in your people

Pretty decent place to work

I have been working at Take-Two

Pros

T2 is a decent place to work and has a casual atmosphere so you can wear basically whatever you'd like to work (within the proper limits), the people here are nice to work with, the location is good (in NoHo), and the opportunity for advancement has been good depending on what department you are in.

Cons

Although career advancement has been good, I feel that this may taper off for now. The company tends to hire management that may be unnecessary and usually has a disparate impact on the rest of the departments. Also management could use some developing to learn how to better coach and create career paths.

Take the time to meet with employees of all levels to really assess what needs the company has. The company could be more efficient and hiring all the extras isn't really necessary.

pretty good

I have been working at Take-Two

Pros

always interesting work to do, and it is possible to lead a life outside of work.

Cons

poor mid level leadership in the sports games department.

I like what 2k games is doing with interesting IP. I would like to see us innovating in the sports department as well rather than just chasing our competitors.