TakeLessons

TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox

Steven Cox

Great Company to Develop Your Skills

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsA small start-up, that is now coming into it's own and expanding, gives hard-working employees the ability to be promoted quickly. The opportunity to expand you skillset and knowledge in areas other than your expertise is a great one, and cross training and shadowing execs is encouraged. I feel that I have grown so much personally and professionally during my short time here. The culture of the company is young, fun, and has a carefree atmosphere. I actually look forward to coming to work!

ConsNow that the company is leaving "startup territory," many hoops need to be jumped through to get changes made within the company. There are a lot of improvements and areas of opportunity that need to be made with the business model, and our customer experience team, but it very hard to actually get changes made.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hourly employees are the people interacting with the customer. They know the pain points, and they understand the things that need to be fixed. Don't ignore their opinions, as they are the gateway to your customer experience.

Also, communication about company changes could be communicated more effectively and transparently.

Never take Beer on Fridays away again ;)

It is like working with my best friends and closest family, people who share my same values and want to see me grow!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe cultural is unparallel to any other: full of like-minded employees who work hard together everyday as a team, and share in successes in a wacky and creative way. Communication here is extremely open, and managers work towards empowering their workers to taking accountability and initiative to make great decisions. The atmosphere is fun, friendly, and high energy.

ConsFree parking is difficult to find unless you decide to pay for it within the work area. Also, for most people it is very hard to move up into a higher position. Most people in sales or customer service will be in their position for over a year with little hope to move to a position off of the phones, which leads to plenty of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your workers grow in skill and position throughout their time here.

Fun, Genuine, Challenging Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCulture is amazing. Everyone that works at TakeLessons has an interest in music, and most have had personal experience either teaching or taking private music lessons. We even have a jam room where employees can go and rock out if they need a break during their day. The relationships between coworkers is the best I've encountered in a workplace. We support each other, and help each other to become even better at what we do.

ConsTakeLessons is still a young company (6 years old), and so is going through growing pains. The company doesn't have everything figured out, but is working on getting there. All of that just makes things challenging at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training current employees to get better at their jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, with strong leadership

Customer Support (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTakeLessons has a great company culture and working environment. The company has came a long way, even just in the last year with employee benefits and compensation.

ConsStill a start-up environment so to speak. This can take extra patience as obstacles present themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to keep more teachers satisfied, as this is the bread and butter of the business. Great teachers is what will lead to a positive experience for students.

Takelessons is a good supplimentary income job.

Instructor (Current Employee) Murrieta, CA

Prosfun environment to work at

Conslow hours and not a lot of students

Don't drink the koolaid - Worst working experience I've ever had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat location in downtown San Diego. A lot of the marketing people were very personable and nice to work with. Catered lunches once a week.

Cons- AWFUL COMPENSATION. Minimum wage call center employees and way below industry pay for technical positions.
    - Cult like environment. You're encouraged to join the "family" and be a part of it. But be warned, the corporate culture is absolutely toxic. If they don't think you fit in, you're ostracized. The management almost seems to encourage rumors to go around about former employees.
    - Call center floor is an incredibly cramped dungeon like cubicle farm. Second hand 3'x3' cubicles wall to wall.
    -In addition to the poor compensation, no benefits to speak of. They try to sell you on "ownership", but in reality the stock options are close to worthless for the foreseeable future.

the experience has been a waste of time and very disappointing

Teacher (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosit is ok for a beginning teacher to gain some experience in learning to teach private lessons but will not give full time employment

Consvery low pay
    traveling to students homes for the lessons are very inconvenient and the amount of gas or transportation used rarely even makes teaching the lesson worthwhile
    the teacher is not able to edit their public profile 100%
    students are sent to bestbuy for lessons with sales persons at bestbuy
    teachers with good credentials are used for public profiles only to be told they are booked up, meanwhile the teacher only has one or two students in reality
    students come to the teacher with false impressions that they will learn to be a famous singer in one or two lessons and no practicing, very unrealistic, but they are told this to book the lessons and make money

Advice to Senior Managementit would be beneficial to have people on the executive team who know about music and are educators not just business people interested in making money and not caring about the music education of students
    try and learn and care about true music education!

Building a company based on core values

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI like working at TakeLessons because they treat me like family and really believe in my personal growth.

ConsStart up means that salaries and benefits are not as good as other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the fire and keep building a great company. So proud to work here!

An excellent beginning to teaching privately.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boynton Beach, FL

ProsTake lesson works really hard to communicate with its staff members. It provides email and website feedback and is constantly in contact with contractors (teachers) through telephone about new students, completed lessons, and student concern. The help center staff is extremely helpful and is great about returning phone calls. Their ad tool through craigslist is also a wonderful thing helping teachers find and attract new students. A huge thumbs up!

ConsOnly downside with working with TakeLessons.com is that not all the students that a teacher is given to work with physically talk to a takelessons representative. Because this is a web based enterprise prospective students are able to book teachers by pointing and clicking. This can cause confusion about what is necessary for lessons to happen. For example a student who wants to take piano lessons will need access to a piano. Other than this, Takelessons is a GREAT company to work for.

Great place to work!

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall but growing, FUN, casual environment, possible stock options, great coworkers, and a dog in the office!!

ConsThere are no benefits offered yet. Being a start-up company, we probably get paid a little less than similar positions elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team at TakeLessons is great! We are all trusted to our jobs and do them well, so there is no micromanagement. Most of management are also very good motivators, not just delegators.

Worked for TakeLessons? Contribute to the Community!