TakeLessons

TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Private Instructor

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

Great communication. Working with them and students is very easy.

Cons

Students and parents are not great with scheduling.

Update student-teacher interaction through the website.

Not recommended for teachers

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Take Lessons recommends students to you, does background checks to ensure student safety and lets you work around your own schedule. Would be safe for someone trying to find a teacher, especially for young students.

Cons

TakeLessons is a total scam. When I first made my profile and paid for my background check, it took over two months for the check to be completed and I had to contact the management several times before it was. After that, they changed their teacher payment policies several times. Now when you take on a new student, you only get 60% of your lesson price; the amount you get compensated depends on how long you have a student - however, many beginning students quit so you end up working for only 60% of the rates you charge a lot of time making the effort a complete waste of time and money. Teachers, you'll be better off financially by finding your own private students than by using TakeLessons. If you decline two students within two months, they remove your profile - the one that you PAID for a background check to have! Completely dissatisfied, TakeLessons is shockingly deceitful and cunning to make money off of aspiring teachers. I hope I can spare someone the same frustrations I went through.

TakeLessons Response

Feb 10, 2015Talent and Culture Manager

I'm sorry to learn that you found your experience with TakeLessons to be anything less than stellar. I manage our Customer Experience team which is focused on delighting our customers. Since that was ... More

Startup Zombie

I worked at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Mostly transparent. Good time off policy for tech.

Cons

Tech team is not diverse. No career development for most of the employees. Just waiting for the next round of investment. CEO has bought into the startup founder cult and the whole company goes overboard on the culture aspect appearing cultish at times to new hires.

Credit your cofounders. Don't expect your workers to be completely transparent with their dissatisfaction.

Great pay; lousy service

Former Employee - Music Teacher in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Music Teacher in Orange, CA

I worked at TakeLessons part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They charged $40 for a half hour. I made half.

Cons

They weren't great at giving me new students, even though I had great retention with the ones that I had. Calls to the company were futile and resulted in talking points and no real discussion. They kept a lot of secrets from the teachers. We're not trusted members of the company and yet are the backbone of it.

Room For Growth

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of great people and fun extracurricular activities. Very casual office environment, beer at company meetings, and because it is a start-up, lots of opportunities to learn new things. If there was a better focus on taking care of current employees this could be a really great place to work.

Cons

Lots of extra work with no extra incentives. No clear path to salary increases or career advancement. PTO is very slim and benefits could be better.

Employees need a clearer idea of what to expect in terms of their own future with the company. How can we grow here? The company is very focused on meeting external goals and pressures and this can leave the internal team feeling neglected and burned out.

Growing company with a friendly, passionate and goal oriented team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Culture is awesome! Everyone is really driven and goal oriented, but also very friendly and supportive. Leadership strives for everyone to excel at what they do, but makes sure we do it in a positive way. Company is also very open about where they are, and where they're headed. Benefits are ok (medical, dental, vision, 401k, wellness).

Cons

Sometimes work is hard, and requires extra time and effort. If you aren't growing with the company, there's a sense that you can be cut from the team at any time.

Keep striving for an open environment. In the past, some strategic and personnel decisions were kept private, which makes people nervous.

Better companies to work for. Music teachers beware.

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

Set your own hours, background checks for teachers.

Cons

Sketchy student approval, sloppy administration at times.

There should be a way for teachers to interview students before entering strange homes. Teachers are booked without consent. The policies aren't completely safe (especially for females). They also blame any misunderstood actions of students on students. Most music companies don't have this issue. They seem to have gone downhill over time.

Great Company Culture

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Employees are treated well, fun work events, networking opportunities

Cons

Salary is not the best.

Teaching for 2 years and it just keeps getting better!

Current Contractor - Vocal Coach in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Contractor - Vocal Coach in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Fair Pay, Good Customer Service CONSTANT improvements when something is wrong.

Cons

My clients get upset with the billing situation. I spend a lot of time explaining to them that things take time when it comes to Billing and Rescheduling. However I've noticed vast improvements in the last Month. I do wish there were more career opportunities. I also wish their were more concert opportunities. Performances for Students City wide) and for Teachers. Many of us are talented Musicians. I think: that would only increase Client satisfaction and Productivity. It's so important to keep expanding and keep going out the Box.

Great for being found online (SEO)

Current Contractor - Piano Teacher
    Current Contractor - Piano Teacher

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

With TakeLessons.com, I turn up first for a search result on a query such as "piano instructor in [city]"
    I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students.
    I can choose my pay rate.
    I like the online system for collecting payment. Makes it easier for me.

Cons

They're growing fast and their support is always changing. I never know what to expect. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's poor.
    I don't like the "schedule as you go" option for students. Students who aren't available to take lessons during the teachers regular availability can purchase lessons anyway, and try to "work it out" with the teacher. Then I have to explain my availability again.