TakeLessons Reviews

4.0
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Better than the competition

Pros

I've worked for them for a few years and they have always been fair and the compensation is good. Always friendly when I call in for support. I also work for a competitor and they are worse in every imaginable way.

Cons

None that come to mind

Great Company Culture

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Employees are treated well, fun work events, networking opportunities

Cons

Salary is not the best.

3. Great for being found online (SEO)

Current Contractor - Piano Teacher
    Current Contractor - Piano Teacher

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

With TakeLessons.com, I turn up first for a search result on a query such as "piano instructor in [city]" I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students. I can choose my pay rate. I like the online system for collecting payment. Makes it easier for me.

Cons

They're growing fast and their support is always changing. I never know what to expect. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's poor. I don't like the "schedule as you go" option for students. Students who aren't available to take lessons during the teachers regular availability can purchase lessons anyway, and try to "work it out" with the teacher. Then I have to explain my availability again.

Great place to work in San Diego

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency is good at the company. CEO is extremely approachable. Go to him as he's always looking to understand his company. He truly cares. You gain personal growth in terms of how to work with people, and how to become very efficient even in your private life. Extremely values the culture and work ethics.

Cons

Salary is not competitive at the company. Individual growth is not realized yet.

Advice to Management

Find out how to invest in your employee's growth, as it's very rigid right now.

6. Growing company, but not fast enough

Former Contractor - Piano Teacher in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Piano Teacher in Arlington, VA

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here as a starting-out piano teacher. I had no connections when I moved to where I was, and had to start from scratch. The company helped me find students and get them scheduled and started quickly. Before I knew it I had seven students and was making a considerable amount of side-income. The App that they now have for keeping track of the schedule is really helpful, and allowed me to "mark" the lessons right after they happened. Also, I got paid every week.

Cons

After getting established, I felt like Takelessons got in the way a lot. They were not very present in day-to-day activities of the lessons, which was great. However, it was very inconvenient when there was a billing hiccup both for me and the parents. Sometimes issues didn't get resolved for a week after calling them and leaving a message. They definitely need to hire more personnel at their headquarters to deal with urgent issues.

7. I like TakeLessons.

Current Contractor - Music Instructor in Petaluma, CA
    Current Contractor - Music Instructor in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I feel they are honest and the staff is sincere and helpful. Pay is fair too. My dealings with a competitor have been less savory.

Cons

I wish I had more students

8. Take Lessons takes care of you

Former Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management, Benefits, Culture, Atmosphere, Location,

Cons

Inconsistent, Parking, Start up, Location, Advancement,

We are all in this together!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and engaging people. Solid long-term vision. Beautiful office and location. Huge opportunity. Great culture and environment!

Cons

Growing pains. Average pay and benefits (no 401k). Some employees may be in the wrong roles including more tenured employees.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff more about their thoughts on what will help the business as we move forward. Be careful not to change the focus or goals/objectives too often as it is wasted time and resources. Keep the course and continue to be the awesome people that you are! We want to succeed and grow just like you do!

Great place for young professionals looking to learn & grow.

Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The open door policy and no "jerks" rule create an atmosphere of positive reinforcement and creativity all around. A start-up environment is not for the faint of heart, and there are plenty of opportunities to give up when things get hard--but I think the best part of working at TakeLessons is having the creative freedom step up, lead, and present solutions as a team, allowing everyone to push through and succeed together. At TakeLessons, employees are encouraged to ask the big, tough, "why" questions especially when it comes to customer service, our policies, and our business. Everyone is on the same playing field and has the same opportunity to make a big impact if they are willing to work for it. Most of all--TakeLessons is a company made of unique, gifted, funny, inspiring people and at the end of the day, no matter what is thrown at you, you know you still had a good time working & growing with your friends.

Cons

Agreeing to work in a start-up environment means you will work harder with fewer monetary benefits; there are times when things feel unstable, constantly changing, and uncontrolled. That being said, working at TakeLessons provides young professionals (particularly) with the opportunity to wear many hats, get lots of experience doing many different kinds of work, and eventually (hopefully) establish a career path at TL or elsewhere. Sometimes working at TakeLessons feels like a rollercoaster, but we all succeed and fail together--the positive company culture keeps most people grounded and feeling supported at every stage.

Advice to Management

Create a structured communication channel to keep everyone in the company up to speed on the direction of our company (big goals, partnerships, etc.). Meetings don't count. Make it visual, clear, centrally located/constant, and something everyone can engage with and see/feel results of.

Great Company to Develop Your Skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small start-up, that is now coming into it's own and expanding, gives hard-working employees the ability to be promoted quickly. The opportunity to expand you skillset and knowledge in areas other than your expertise is a great one, and cross training and shadowing execs is encouraged. I feel that I have grown so much personally and professionally during my short time here. The culture of the company is young, fun, and has a carefree atmosphere. I actually look forward to coming to work!

Cons

Now that the company is leaving "startup territory," many hoops need to be jumped through to get changes made within the company. There are a lot of improvements and areas of opportunity that need to be made with the business model, and our customer experience team, but it very hard to actually get changes made.

Advice to Management

The hourly employees are the people interacting with the customer. They know the pain points, and they understand the things that need to be fixed. Don't ignore their opinions, as they are the gateway to your customer experience. Also, communication about company changes could be communicated more effectively and transparently. Never take Beer on Fridays away again ;)

RSS Feed </> Embed