TakeLessons

Employer Engaged

Glorified Telemarketing

Former Contractor - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly people. Like really friendly. Very tech saavy - good looking website and teacher portal

Cons

Well, teachers are independent contractors, so you work for yourself. As for pay, you could get more on your own. As for their "certified takelesson instructor" - they make YOU pay for a background check (every school I've ever taught in has paid for background checks) and I'm pretty sure there is an upcharge, because I paid $100 and I know that in this area, to get a background check done by FBI and the State (required for teaching) is less than $30.

Anyway, parents dont seem to like the telemarketing approach, so they constantly complain about the "Call center"

Dont nickle and dime your teachers. Cough up the money and pay for the background checks. And call it what it is... being "certified" means you passed a background check and sat through their silly online training about marketing.

Great place to work in San Diego

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency is good at the company. CEO is extremely approachable. Go to him as he's always looking to understand his company. He truly cares.
    You gain personal growth in terms of how to work with people, and how to become very efficient even in your private life.
    Extremely values the culture and work ethics.

Cons

Salary is not competitive at the company. Individual growth is not realized yet.

Find out how to invest in your employee's growth, as it's very rigid right now.

Fantastic Culture, Caring Management, feels good to go to work

Former Employee - Marketplace Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketplace Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TakeLessons has a great culture and promotes from within. The management and CEO take a personal interest in your development and well-being. The company teaches every department about the nuances of business and goal setting. You feel like you are making a contribution every day! The CEO Steven Cox takes time to talk with everyone in the company and is has an open door policy. He welcomes feedback and appreciates every person.

Cons

The cons are the constants changes that come with working for a start-up. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty and be flexible as the business grows with new challenges. The pay could be a little higher as well. The benefits really improved when I was there and I always felt like the money was worth the freedom and flexibility I got in exchange.

If there is way to create more incentives for bonuses and raises, try to fit it in. The people love working for you and usually have to leave when life takes over and you need to make more money :)

Growing company, but not fast enough

Former Contractor - Piano Teacher in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Piano Teacher in Arlington, VA

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here as a starting-out piano teacher. I had no connections when I moved to where I was, and had to start from scratch. The company helped me find students and get them scheduled and started quickly. Before I knew it I had seven students and was making a considerable amount of side-income. The App that they now have for keeping track of the schedule is really helpful, and allowed me to "mark" the lessons right after they happened. Also, I got paid every week.

Cons

After getting established, I felt like Takelessons got in the way a lot. They were not very present in day-to-day activities of the lessons, which was great. However, it was very inconvenient when there was a billing hiccup both for me and the parents. Sometimes issues didn't get resolved for a week after calling them and leaving a message. They definitely need to hire more personnel at their headquarters to deal with urgent issues.

I like TakeLessons.

Current Contractor - Music Instructor in Petaluma, CA
    Current Contractor - Music Instructor in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I feel they are honest and the staff is sincere and helpful. Pay is fair too. My dealings with a competitor have been less savory.

Cons

I wish I had more students

Take Lessons takes care of you

Former Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management, Benefits, Culture, Atmosphere, Location,

Cons

Inconsistent, Parking, Start up, Location, Advancement,

Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good culture. Still has a tech startup feel. Company tries to keep it fun. We have a jam room set up with instruments and a dress code of dress to do your job...no special meetings today? Then it's jeans and a T-shirt. Management receptive to personal life balance. Stock options for all full time staff after 1 year employment. Many new hires based on potential and culture fit over 100% technical capability.

Cons

Company under pressure to make money. Aren't they all? Losing some aspects of the "fun startup," but that's probably necessary. A little bit of a call center model for business, though not cold hard selling (leads are people that have submitted info online, so not cold calls), Some sales tactics seem a little aggressive, but that might just be in contrast to the artsy environment in the office. Lower level staff paid on lower end of market scale, higher level managers appear to be paid in a manner more to market.

Keep lower level staff pumped as we mature.

We are all in this together!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and engaging people. Solid long-term vision. Beautiful office and location. Huge opportunity. Great culture and environment!

Cons

Growing pains. Average pay and benefits (no 401k). Some employees may be in the wrong roles including more tenured employees.

Talk to your staff more about their thoughts on what will help the business as we move forward. Be careful not to change the focus or goals/objectives too often as it is wasted time and resources. Keep the course and continue to be the awesome people that you are! We want to succeed and grow just like you do!

Its a Job at a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The majority of people at Takelessons are great. They are the biggest reason to work there and stay there. I believe its all derived from the musical background of the company, and the hiring process that involved everyone in rotation. It perpetuated the culture and filled the company with a great group of people who loved their work. Secondly, its a great place to grow (at least with my profession). I've learned a lot while at Takelessons and appreciate the professional development opportunities available.

Cons

Takelessons is going through changes. Everything mentioned in the Pros, appears to be slowly going away. I have hope that things will look up, but I can't paint a portrait any different than I see it. The Pros are decreasing and the Cons are increasing. Another issue is compensation which has been addressed through a more refined review program. Despite that, I feel the salaries are too extreme on both the high and low ends of the spectrum.

Management seriously needs to reevaluate the internals of the company. Takelessons is a great place to learn and grow professionally and most will eventually move onto a job at another company. Some, although, will stay longer because they were promoted. Those people need to stay in order for the company to succeed. Otherwise, all I see is a vicious cycle that will leave the company in a perpetual stall.

Great place for young professionals looking to learn & grow.

Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The open door policy and no "jerks" rule create an atmosphere of positive reinforcement and creativity all around. A start-up environment is not for the faint of heart, and there are plenty of opportunities to give up when things get hard--but I think the best part of working at TakeLessons is having the creative freedom step up, lead, and present solutions as a team, allowing everyone to push through and succeed together. At TakeLessons, employees are encouraged to ask the big, tough, "why" questions especially when it comes to customer service, our policies, and our business. Everyone is on the same playing field and has the same opportunity to make a big impact if they are willing to work for it. Most of all--TakeLessons is a company made of unique, gifted, funny, inspiring people and at the end of the day, no matter what is thrown at you, you know you still had a good time working & growing with your friends.

Cons

Agreeing to work in a start-up environment means you will work harder with fewer monetary benefits; there are times when things feel unstable, constantly changing, and uncontrolled. That being said, working at TakeLessons provides young professionals (particularly) with the opportunity to wear many hats, get lots of experience doing many different kinds of work, and eventually (hopefully) establish a career path at TL or elsewhere. Sometimes working at TakeLessons feels like a rollercoaster, but we all succeed and fail together--the positive company culture keeps most people grounded and feeling supported at every stage.

Create a structured communication channel to keep everyone in the company up to speed on the direction of our company (big goals, partnerships, etc.). Meetings don't count. Make it visual, clear, centrally located/constant, and something everyone can engage with and see/feel results of.