TakeLessons Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
41 reviews filtered by

Great place for young professionals looking to learn & grow.

Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The open door policy and no "jerks" rule create an atmosphere of positive reinforcement and creativity all around. A start-up environment is not for the faint of heart, and there are plenty of opportunities to give up when things get hard--but I think the best part of working at TakeLessons is having the creative freedom step up, lead, and present solutions as a team, allowing everyone to push through and succeed together. At TakeLessons, employees are encouraged to ask the big, tough, "why" questions especially when it comes to customer service, our policies, and our business. Everyone is on the same playing field and has the same opportunity to make a big impact if they are willing to work for it. Most of all--TakeLessons is a company made of unique, gifted, funny, inspiring people and at the end of the day, no matter what is thrown at you, you know you still had a good time working & growing with your friends.

Cons

Agreeing to work in a start-up environment means you will work harder with fewer monetary benefits; there are times when things feel unstable, constantly changing, and uncontrolled. That being said, working at TakeLessons provides young professionals (particularly) with the opportunity to wear many hats, get lots of experience doing many different kinds of work, and eventually (hopefully) establish a career path at TL or elsewhere. Sometimes working at TakeLessons feels like a rollercoaster, but we all succeed and fail together--the positive company culture keeps most people grounded and feeling supported at every stage.

Advice to Management

Create a structured communication channel to keep everyone in the company up to speed on the direction of our company (big goals, partnerships, etc.). Meetings don't count. Make it visual, clear, centrally located/constant, and something everyone can engage with and see/feel results of.

2. Great Company Culture, Great Talent

Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Supportive
    Positive Environment
    Great Company Culture
    Great Views

Cons

Can't think of anything bad

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work!!

Takelessons - A glorified call center

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takelessons is a call center in a great location. Also, they were occasionally flexible with regards to scheduling shifts. Takelessons will also let you take on huge amounts of additional responsibility, pay is a different story, but none the less… A large amount of the people that work at takelessons are nice and it seemed most had college degrees, which was surprising to me for a call center. At the end of the day, takelessons is a company that facilitates music lessons which is cool.

Cons

Takelessons is a music related call center that doesn't even have any music playing in the office! You have to pay for parking and you can barely even fit in your cubicle. It's a glorified call center lacking any legitimate career opportunities, not to mention any monetary upward mobility. Takelessons is open 7 days a week so you have to work weekends and rarely, if ever get a weekend, much less 2 days in a row off.

The cult-like "fun culture" takelessons worked so hard to create is seemingly being replaced with a much more corporate one. My overall experience at takelessons felt more like a high school, rumor mill, roller coaster than a job, and I was considered one of the "cool kids" if not the "coolest". Oh, and I'm not totally sure but I'm pretty sure you have to be good looking to even be considered.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback from the call center side; the people in the trenches. Often times a great business idea on paper does not mean it's anything more than just a great idea. Don't try to grow too fast, get overhead down, and really look at overall morale.

Great Company to Develop Your Skills

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small start-up, that is now coming into it's own and expanding, gives hard-working employees the ability to be promoted quickly. The opportunity to expand you skillset and knowledge in areas other than your expertise is a great one, and cross training and shadowing execs is encouraged. I feel that I have grown so much personally and professionally during my short time here. The culture of the company is young, fun, and has a carefree atmosphere. I actually look forward to coming to work!

Cons

Now that the company is leaving "startup territory," many hoops need to be jumped through to get changes made within the company. There are a lot of improvements and areas of opportunity that need to be made with the business model, and our customer experience team, but it very hard to actually get changes made.

Advice to Management

The hourly employees are the people interacting with the customer. They know the pain points, and they understand the things that need to be fixed. Don't ignore their opinions, as they are the gateway to your customer experience.

Also, communication about company changes could be communicated more effectively and transparently.

Never take Beer on Fridays away again ;)

6. It is like working with my best friends and closest family, people who share my same values and want to see me grow!

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cultural is unparallel to any other: full of like-minded employees who work hard together everyday as a team, and share in successes in a wacky and creative way. Communication here is extremely open, and managers work towards empowering their workers to taking accountability and initiative to make great decisions. The atmosphere is fun, friendly, and high energy.

Cons

Free parking is difficult to find unless you decide to pay for it within the work area. Also, for most people it is very hard to move up into a higher position. Most people in sales or customer service will be in their position for over a year with little hope to move to a position off of the phones, which leads to plenty of turnover.

Advice to Management

Help your workers grow in skill and position throughout their time here.

7. Fun, Genuine, Challenging Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing. Everyone that works at TakeLessons has an interest in music, and most have had personal experience either teaching or taking private music lessons. We even have a jam room where employees can go and rock out if they need a break during their day. The relationships between coworkers is the best I've encountered in a workplace. We support each other, and help each other to become even better at what we do.

Cons

TakeLessons is still a young company (6 years old), and so is going through growing pains. The company doesn't have everything figured out, but is working on getting there. All of that just makes things challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in training current employees to get better at their jobs.

Good company, with strong leadership

Former Employee - Customer Support in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TakeLessons has a great company culture and working environment. The company has came a long way, even just in the last year with employee benefits and compensation.

Cons

Still a start-up environment so to speak. This can take extra patience as obstacles present themselves.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep more teachers satisfied, as this is the bread and butter of the business. Great teachers is what will lead to a positive experience for students.

9. Takelessons is a good supplimentary income job.

Current Employee - Instructor in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

fun environment to work at

Cons

low hours and not a lot of students

Don't drink the koolaid - Worst working experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons

Pros

Great location in downtown San Diego. A lot of the marketing people were very personable and nice to work with. Catered lunches once a week.

Cons

- AWFUL COMPENSATION. Minimum wage call center employees and way below industry pay for technical positions.
    - Cult like environment. You're encouraged to join the "family" and be a part of it. But be warned, the corporate culture is absolutely toxic. If they don't think you fit in, you're ostracized. The management almost seems to encourage rumors to go around about former employees.
    - Call center floor is an incredibly cramped dungeon like cubicle farm. Second hand 3'x3' cubicles wall to wall.
    -In addition to the poor compensation, no benefits to speak of. They try to sell you on "ownership", but in reality the stock options are close to worthless for the foreseeable future.

the experience has been a waste of time and very disappointing

Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

it is ok for a beginning teacher to gain some experience in learning to teach private lessons but will not give full time employment

Cons

very low pay
    traveling to students homes for the lessons are very inconvenient and the amount of gas or transportation used rarely even makes teaching the lesson worthwhile
    the teacher is not able to edit their public profile 100%
    students are sent to bestbuy for lessons with sales persons at bestbuy
    teachers with good credentials are used for public profiles only to be told they are booked up, meanwhile the teacher only has one or two students in reality
    students come to the teacher with false impressions that they will learn to be a famous singer in one or two lessons and no practicing, very unrealistic, but they are told this to book the lessons and make money

Advice to Management

it would be beneficial to have people on the executive team who know about music and are educators not just business people interested in making money and not caring about the music education of students
    try and learn and care about true music education!