TakeLessons

Updated September 18, 2014
3.9

TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Good company, with strong leadership

Former Employee - Customer Support  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time for more than a year

Pros

TakeLessons has a great company culture and working environment. The company has came a long way, even just in the last year with employee benefits and compensation.

Cons

Still a start-up environment so to speak. This can take extra patience as obstacles present themselves.

Find a way to keep more teachers satisfied, as this is the bread and butter of the business. Great teachers is what will lead to a positive experience for students.

Takelessons is a good supplimentary income job.

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

fun environment to work at

Cons

low hours and not a lot of students

Don't drink the koolaid - Worst working experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons

Pros

Great location in downtown San Diego. A lot of the marketing people were very personable and nice to work with. Catered lunches once a week.

Cons

- AWFUL COMPENSATION. Minimum wage call center employees and way below industry pay for technical positions.
    - Cult like environment. You're encouraged to join the "family" and be a part of it. But be warned, the corporate culture is absolutely toxic. If they don't think you fit in, you're ostracized. The management almost seems to encourage rumors to go around about former employees.
    - Call center floor is an incredibly cramped dungeon like cubicle farm. Second hand 3'x3' cubicles wall to wall.
    -In addition to the poor compensation, no benefits to speak of. They try to sell you on "ownership", but in reality the stock options are close to worthless for the foreseeable future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the experience has been a waste of time and very disappointing

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

it is ok for a beginning teacher to gain some experience in learning to teach private lessons but will not give full time employment

Cons

very low pay
    traveling to students homes for the lessons are very inconvenient and the amount of gas or transportation used rarely even makes teaching the lesson worthwhile
    the teacher is not able to edit their public profile 100%
    students are sent to bestbuy for lessons with sales persons at bestbuy
    teachers with good credentials are used for public profiles only to be told they are booked up, meanwhile the teacher only has one or two students in reality
    students come to the teacher with false impressions that they will learn to be a famous singer in one or two lessons and no practicing, very unrealistic, but they are told this to book the lessons and make money

it would be beneficial to have people on the executive team who know about music and are educators not just business people interested in making money and not caring about the music education of students
    try and learn and care about true music education!

Building a company based on core values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

I like working at TakeLessons because they treat me like family and really believe in my personal growth.

Cons

Start up means that salaries and benefits are not as good as other places.

Keep the fire and keep building a great company. So proud to work here!

An excellent beginning to teaching privately.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

Take lesson works really hard to communicate with its staff members. It provides email and website feedback and is constantly in contact with contractors (teachers) through telephone about new students, completed lessons, and student concern. The help center staff is extremely helpful and is great about returning phone calls. Their ad tool through craigslist is also a wonderful thing helping teachers find and attract new students. A huge thumbs up!

Cons

Only downside with working with TakeLessons.com is that not all the students that a teacher is given to work with physically talk to a takelessons representative. Because this is a web based enterprise prospective students are able to book teachers by pointing and clicking. This can cause confusion about what is necessary for lessons to happen. For example a student who wants to take piano lessons will need access to a piano. Other than this, Takelessons is a GREAT company to work for.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

Small but growing, FUN, casual environment, possible stock options, great coworkers, and a dog in the office!!

Cons

There are no benefits offered yet. Being a start-up company, we probably get paid a little less than similar positions elsewhere.

The management team at TakeLessons is great! We are all trusted to our jobs and do them well, so there is no micromanagement. Most of management are also very good motivators, not just delegators.

Former Teacher

Former Employee - Piano Teacher
    Former Employee - Piano Teacher

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They "advertise" for you. They have a very easy to use online program and make great use of the internet.

Cons

I have been teaching piano for over 20 years. I wanted some extra income to add to my current crop of students. After doing everything the other reviewer did, online orientation, training, background check, etc... My profile was up on their website, but never got any students.

When I heard about students being driven to the Best Buy locations, I tried something. I called as a prospective parent, wanting specifically to sign up with myself, and I was told that "We're sorry, Mr. X's schedule is already full, but we have just as good teachers at Best Buy."

After lengthy review of my contract (and discussions with my lawyer) it was not worth it to pursue legal action. DON'T WORK HERE

TakeLessons Response

Dec 11, 2012Talent & Culture Manager

Thanks for sharing your concerns and your post. Please contact TakeLessons at 619.231.8505 to discuss your concerns as the information you shared is not how TakeLessons manages our business or our ... More

One of the Best Companies In San Diego

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Massive opportunity, unique industry/vertical, awesome leadership, great people, fun culture, challenging work, relaxed environment, beautiful office location

Cons

It's a fast paced/growing company with a startup mentality, so naturally high expectations are set for all employees. If you want to work for a company where you can just "blend in," put in minimal effort and not make an impact then this would likely be a con... that type of mentality won't get you very far here.

Keep on keepin' on

A means to an End

Former Employee - Music Teacher
    Former Employee - Music Teacher

I worked at TakeLessons as a contractor

Pros

The company requires teachers to be very organized and have background checks which is great for the students. The customer service side is great and I love that they take care of the business side of running a studio. It has been very helpful for me to add more students to my teaching studio to fill in the gaps and give me more experiance while I build my private studio. However, it is only a means to an end and I'm looking to get out of using takelessons when I am able to open up those spots for my own private students.

Cons

For the amount of money Takelessons.com takes from students I think the teachers, who do the brunt of the work and ARE the bread and butter of the company, should be paid more. As it stands, teachers are paid less than 50% of what the company brings in per lesson and on top of that, the company does not provide regular performance opportunities for their students, at least in my area. So, that is then something the teacher has to do on their own, which we do because we care.

Pay your teachers at least 50% of what you bring in per lesson if not more AND create regular performance opportunities for ALL locations takelessons has business in.

Worked for TakeLessons? Contribute to the Community!