TakeLessons

TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox

Steven Cox

Great place to work!

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall but growing, FUN, casual environment, possible stock options, great coworkers, and a dog in the office!!

ConsThere are no benefits offered yet. Being a start-up company, we probably get paid a little less than similar positions elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team at TakeLessons is great! We are all trusted to our jobs and do them well, so there is no micromanagement. Most of management are also very good motivators, not just delegators.

Former Teacher

Piano Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsThey "advertise" for you. They have a very easy to use online program and make great use of the internet.

ConsI have been teaching piano for over 20 years. I wanted some extra income to add to my current crop of students. After doing everything the other reviewer did, online orientation, training, background check, etc... My profile was up on their website, but never got any students.

When I heard about students being driven to the Best Buy locations, I tried something. I called as a prospective parent, wanting specifically to sign up with myself, and I was told that "We're sorry, Mr. X's schedule is already full, but we have just as good teachers at Best Buy."

After lengthy review of my contract (and discussions with my lawyer) it was not worth it to pursue legal action. DON'T WORK HERE

TakeLessons Response

Dec 11, 2012Talent & Culture Manager

Thanks for sharing your concerns and your post. Please contact TakeLessons at 619.231.8505 to discuss your concerns as the information you shared is not how TakeLessons manages our business or our ... More

A means to an End

Music Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsThe company requires teachers to be very organized and have background checks which is great for the students. The customer service side is great and I love that they take care of the business side of running a studio. It has been very helpful for me to add more students to my teaching studio to fill in the gaps and give me more experiance while I build my private studio. However, it is only a means to an end and I'm looking to get out of using takelessons when I am able to open up those spots for my own private students.

ConsFor the amount of money Takelessons.com takes from students I think the teachers, who do the brunt of the work and ARE the bread and butter of the company, should be paid more. As it stands, teachers are paid less than 50% of what the company brings in per lesson and on top of that, the company does not provide regular performance opportunities for their students, at least in my area. So, that is then something the teacher has to do on their own, which we do because we care.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your teachers at least 50% of what you bring in per lesson if not more AND create regular performance opportunities for ALL locations takelessons has business in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the Best Companies In San Diego

ProsMassive opportunity, unique industry/vertical, awesome leadership, great people, fun culture, challenging work, relaxed environment, beautiful office location

ConsIt's a fast paced/growing company with a startup mentality, so naturally high expectations are set for all employees. If you want to work for a company where you can just "blend in," put in minimal effort and not make an impact then this would likely be a con... that type of mentality won't get you very far here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin' on

Great place to work! Culture is not just a word here...it's law.

ProsBest people, culture, casual environment, and what you have to say matters. I feel good about my role in the company and that what I do adds value to the office environment.

ConsThe company Holidays are a bit lacking. Don't recognize MLK or the day after Thanksgiving. Also, the paid time off accrual could be improved for hourly employees. Have to work at least 5 months before you can take a week off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSunday should be closed

55,000 applicants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice website, easy to use.

ConsThey say they only hire 5% of the people who apply for jobs - and they have teachers in over 2800 cities. Assume that there is only 1 teacher in each of those cities that means that over 55,000 people have applied for jobs? That doesnt seem realistic considering at that rate, you would have to have over 25 people interview 40 people a week to make that staggering number.

They are all about "looking good"

Advice to Senior ManagementHave people who are educators run the company, or at least the curriculum side. You're doing a great business in making money, but not in providing a service

Too fluffy and built up. It doesn't become what they say it could, even with the outside effort.

Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsThey do your scheduling for you. The people you encounter are generally very awesome. The pay is decent and the hours are flexible.

ConsThey do your scheduling for you (it's hard to deal with a middle man). The company is really kinda stingy and if someone cancels a lesson in the week, the company doesn't pay you, but still manages somehow to keep the lesson money. The pay is no where near what one could make and the lesson prices are really unfair to the students. Often times the travel to the students is further than convenient and sometimes not even worth it. The management also says that they'll do things and unless you keep pestering them, they don't do it and in my experience blame it off on someone they asked to do the task.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear about positions you're creating. Pay your teachers better. Follow through on getting back to teachers after they give you the advice you asked for from them and tell them that you'll bring it up at the next meeting. Take the teachers seriously. Create more programs to reach out to people who may not be able to afford your exorbitant prices.

Decent

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsSteady contract teaching work for extended time.

ConsYou take a serious pay cut, as opposed to teaching privately on your own. (50% reduction at least.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet alot of your own students before you start the program.

Good place for young people to get experience, but don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Customer Support Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, fun, young environment. Everyone seems to get along.
    Excellent engineering team. They have really taken the time to listen to employee/customer needs and set a clear long term, transparent development calendar. Both of these attributes are rare at other start-ups.
    Good Channel Mgmt team. They had some small blips with their Best Buy partnership roll out, but all things considered it was very well done.
    Free lunch on Mondays.
    Casual dress code.
    Downtown location.
    Great place to get experience. But don't expect a lot of mentoring, because most of mgmt hasn't been in their current role very long.

ConsThe pay is horrible even for a start-up. There are no benefits. None. Unfortunately, the majority of employees don't own any shares.
    No transparency about funding progress.
    There's a shocking lack of diversity in terms of age and race. Top down management style in the operations group. Very little development of the ops team, especially in Sales.
    They fire people at the drop a hat. Unless you are a friend of senior management in which case you can show up late for work every day for two months, be warned twice, demoted once and finally fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons.

Worked for TakeLessons? Contribute to the Community!