Talbots

Talbots Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler

Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50%(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores(in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates(in 13 reviews)

Good learning experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, customer service is very important (which is empowering to employees), company stands behind their product and coworkers were wonderful.

This was a side job while I was in school so it was perfectly fine for the type of job I was looking for.

ConsStore manager didn't really do anything, assistant managers did the work while she took the credit (especially when the DM was in town).

Doesn't seem to have a real system for employees who want to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen DM visits stores have them take time to talk to the employees one on one so we can answer honestly about whats going on in the store.

Employees are the backbone of stores, if they feel empowered they will work that much harder.

Doing what's right for the customers & employees

Store Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company has great leadership from the CEO down the ranks. Great values as a company that takes great care of the employee as well as the customer.

ConsGet an awesome discount...spend a great deal on clothes! I love fashion so there's really no cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we're on the right track as a brand, Management is always seeking feedback from the field which will only make our brand the brand of choice!

Learned A lot about retail.

Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) Red Bank, NJ

ProsThe clothes were nice and the team of associates were great to work with.

ConsNo raises,promotion from within nonexistent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talbot's is a great place to work

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working at Talbot's is the people. The Company also is open to feedback and applies it. My boss is supportive of my develpment and wants to see me grow. The Co.has recently added some new positions to support the field.

ConsChanges in upper Management have been frequent. I feel this new exceutive team is the right team to move the Co.forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue moving the company in a profitable direction. The streamlined focus has been very effective. It really shows you care about the people that face the customer daily. Please continue to evlove the product & marketing.

Exceptional work experience!

District Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTalbots has moved forward through a tough retail environment over the last 2 years thanks to an amazing executive leadership team, a focus on the customer, delivering quality, an inspired work force and making smart decisions. I feel incredibly lucky to have been a part of the process as a District Manager and to be empowered and enabled to lead my team in a way that balances celebration and inspiration with accountability. I'm encouraged to have a work/life balance and to make decisions based on my experience and knowledge. I am trusted to do what I do best... drive results through my phenomenal team. There are paths for advancement for those who are interested and we all are challenged to always be improving... for ourselves, for the customer, for the brand.

ConsBecause Talbots is a fleet of several hundred stores and a very expansive online/direct business... decisions and changes can take what seems to be a long time. It can be positive that decisions aren't rushed or made before careful consideration but for those of us who are passionate and results driven, the process can seem slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the upper managment... continue your commitment to transparency, open communication and collaboration with the field leaders.The store teams can see a difference and it is motivating them to own their business and the customer experience. Keep listening to the customer as she is loyal and passionate but has very high expectations of us.

Senior leadership

Store Management (Current Employee)

ProsNew leadership is making a difference in overall store results. They are communicating performance and insight to reason behind actions.

ConsOld district managers that know no other type if business other than Talbots. They are good at saying one thing and doing the opposite when not being watched. They only know fear based managing and are unable to coach to encourage others to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch what DM's emails say to groups. De-motivating staff members!

Talbots

Associate (Former Employee) North Atlanta, GA

Pros- pay
    - customer relationships
    - hours
    - somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons- aggressively competitive environment even though there's no commission
    - managers change often

Good culture but still unstable

Co-Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe fact that the Company is developing opens the door for advancement.

ConsInstability. In 3 years with the Company, I've worked under 2 SM's, 4 DM's, 2 RM's, 3 VP's and 3 CEO'S. This revolving door in leadership brings constant changes, leaving store teams with the feeling that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. This is the only place I've worked where there is more turnover in Corporate than there is in the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to and trust your store-level leaders. We are the boots on the ground, hearing first hand feedback from our customers about product and promotion. That said, please also understand that Outlet is a separate entity from Retail.... different product, different promotions, different customer, different traffic, different trend. It is OKAY for Outlet to have different processes and operations. Instead Outlet is often trying to translate processes that aren't designed for us, feeling like an afterthought within the Company rather than a valued, thriving Division.

Lastly, across the board wage freezes are not good for morale. We've all accepted them for years because the Company was in the ICU... we understand that the Company is still recovering, but you should reward those associates who are leading the way toward a better financial future. It's much harder to swallow a wage freeze when we're driving double digit Company and looking at our store-level profitability. Reward tthe teams who are succeeding ... fyi: we don't believe for a minute that the wage freeze is being applied to everyone equally... are middle management and Corporate associates getting our raises again?

Employee Review

ProsFun place to work, enjoy working with customers. Retail is a visually inspiring career, where employees take pride in their work.

ConsEmployees do not receive proper training, nor HR paperwork, upon transfers to new location. Protocol for following a 30-60-90 day review process is in order to ensure accurate learning of policies and procedures.

Vice President of Stores told employees in store if they don't like their new job they could leave the company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNo personal growth in this company.

ConsNot knowing if the Company will be solvent from month to month.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to learn how to treat your associates with respect. You can't bully and expect your associates to respect upper management with management skills from the 70's and 80's. Don't lie to them on programs that are not attainable which only puts money in upper managements pockets and none in the pockets of the deaerving sales associates.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!