Talbots

Talbots Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler

Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50%(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores(in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates(in 13 reviews)

Vice President of Stores told employees in store if they don't like their new job they could leave the company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNo personal growth in this company.

ConsNot knowing if the Company will be solvent from month to month.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to learn how to treat your associates with respect. You can't bully and expect your associates to respect upper management with management skills from the 70's and 80's. Don't lie to them on programs that are not attainable which only puts money in upper managements pockets and none in the pockets of the deaerving sales associates.

Good Management retains talent

Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosgood discount, competitive salary, committed coworkers

Consdon't promote from within, inconsistent communication, lack of work/life balance, discouraged from using PTO (an earned benefit.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat store teams as valued parts of the organization. They are the front line working face to face with customers (very important). Keep them motivated through respect and consistency of coaching and recognizing successes, not only where there are opportunities (a win is a win= value). Focus more on career growth and the paths within the company to retain talent, coaching towards growth.

Sales Associates asked to end shift when traffic is slow.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsHave loved the Brand for 50 years.

ConsDifficult to get part-time hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great part-time experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFlexible schedule around my full-time job
    Great employee discounts

ConsWeekends - but hey, that's retail

Valued Experience as an Assistant Sales Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience garnered from such a position will open other opportunities for the future career-wise, so I'm very happy to have been an Assistant Manager for this company. I felt the role required a certain amount of accountability and independence. For me, I considered it a positive in part, as I enjoy that ability to be flexible within my position. The sales team I worked with was one of the best I've had the pleasure of knowing. Not only that, majority of the customers/clients received most of our staff with the utmost respect and made the experience all the more enjoyable. I don't think the workload is per se all that immense, but I will go into that in the next section. Benefits are immediate upon hire for full-time employees, without any probationary 90 day period that many companies require. The accrual rate for vacation and sick time is quite fair. I found the position to be a decent work/life balance. Oh and I can't forget the rather generous employee discount, which many of our team members took advantage of.

ConsThere aren't many growth or full-time work possibilities with this company. I was one of a few lucky enough to be promoted. I disliked the management structure of the particular store I worked in. Upper management tended to delegate on-the-floor work duties to lower management, while their work left them conveniently in the office hours on end. I've completed many tasks that were the responsibility of our General Manager. General management rarely frequented our store, leaving our staff confused and uncomfortable at times, not to mention an inherent sense of broken and ineffective communication. The pay does not align with the amount of work and service this company expects of its employees. I had some of the most hard-working people on our staff and they all, including myself, deserved a raise, which hasn't occurred for years. While it was wonderful to have medical benefits, the more affordable option being a high deductible PPO plan was actually one of the most expensive health plans I've ever had with a company. I almost missed my old HMO plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got to get away from the office and come onto the floor. You will achieve a better rapport with your associates if you seem to want to work beside and with them. Not only that, it sets a better example of what ideal leadership should look like. Corporate should ease the expectations they have of sales associates. After all, you are less than eager to pay them more than a couple dollars above minimum wage, offer a commissioned rate in addition to their hourly, and more, if any, incentives/bonuses for stellar performances. Verbal praise just isn't enough and turnover will not decrease.

Overall experience not outstanding.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe customers are fun to work with.

ConsManagement could use some help.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoach Management To treat individuals with respect.

totally unapprectiated

Store Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosexcellent pay for my level
    great co-workers

Conscompany wants to appeal to every age so styles become old & predictable season after season
    every time I have scheduled days/vacation off my DM would come up with some reason to cancel it-I was always giving up my time only for it to go unappreciated!
    DM wants only her ideas-doesn't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with her.
    producing results is not rewarded-individual thinking is stifled
    payroll should be based on results not given to the highly visible stores first

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your associates in the trenches more and don't rely solely on the DMs word

Penny-wise and pound-foolish

ProsI enjoy the interaction of our very loyal customers. Our women come to visit us as well as to shop.

ConsIn an attempt to keep payroll in line with the revenue coming in, we have been forced to drastically cut hours of staff and compromise floor coverage. This has resulted in reducing the amount of time we can spend with each customer which of-course affects our sales. It's a real conundrum. We are held to ridiculously out of touch numbers and as a result the atmosphere can be extremely defeating.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake conversion rates and traffic counts into account win setting targets. We should not be expected to open as many Tcc as a mall when our traffic is down 45%

Learned A lot about retail.

Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) Red Bank, NJ

ProsThe clothes were nice and the team of associates were great to work with.

ConsNo raises,promotion from within nonexistent.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe company has upward movement for anyone working hard to promote

ConsThe work life balance is not available

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!