Talbots Reviews in Hingham, MA

Updated September 5, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

paycheck to pay.check job

Former Employee - Computer Operator  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Operator in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You have the oportunity to learn if you have the initiative and drive.

Cons

tend to get repetative tasks when you are known to be good at what you do. do to recent layoffs and financial woes moving up the ladder is not the easiest thing to achieve.

Listen carefully to your staff for ideas that can increase throughput and create more ROI.

Poor work environment caused by constant indecision and excessive change

I worked at Talbots full-time

Pros

You're allowed almost complete autonomy, enabling you to run your own business and make decisions. The company promotes cross-functional team collaboration. Competitive salary and benefits. Casual dress code.

Cons

Too much hierarchy. Top heavy management - too many VP's who are not always aligned causing constant indecision and changes. Poor culture: constant blame game and the need to cover yourself. Lean staff; thus, long hours and spread thin. Stressful environment. No work/life balance. High turnover. You bring your work home. No career path. Unreasonable deadlines. Your best is not enough. Accomplishments are rewarded with more work.

There have been many leadership changes but none has successfully been able to change the negative culture. Closely evaluate senior management often to weed out the ones who diminish morale and who cause bottlenecks in the pipeline. An unhappy work environment = inefficiency and high turnover.

Employees either stay for 1-2 years or 20-30 years

Current Employee - Database Marketing Specialist  in  Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Database Marketing Specialist in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is steady and manageable, and managers support flexibility in hours distribution. It is easy to get a half day for last minute appointments, which can be a blessing.

Cons

Not much room for growth within departments. Talbots has been closing many stores and letting many employees go at corporate. It is not unheard of for emails to go through one day and bounce back the next because someone has been cut without warning. Territorial management does not promote a team atmosphere, and job insecurity promotes a tendency towards micromanagement.

Allowing employees to rely on each other and trust good workers to do good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helpful and Supportive Enviornment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time for less than a year

Pros

The overall culture of the company is very friendly and supportive. Everyone from senior management to assistants are always willing to take the extra time to help you or to explain something to you. The company really prides itself on its rich heritage, and it is meaningful to be a part of such a strong and iconic brand.

Cons

Trying to change the perception that only your grandmother shops there!

Talbots was a good company

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I gained allot of experience there. Benefits were good. The people I worked with became almost like a family.

Cons

Talbots struggled under bad management. Many of us saw the flaws in the system but no exes wanted to here it or would take advice on how to fix it. I gave 150% worked late, got no extra compensation. I did it to show my willingness to help the company succeed. I was thanked by being laid off

I have become cold towards Talbots, yes it a business I get it, but other business I hear, really go find inventive ways to keep employees. Not Talbots they could care less.

Great People!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

I work with a great group of people! Everyone is passionate about their work and works hard to better our internal department, our stores, and our company. My department really functions as a team; each member is more than willing to help out even when it falls outside the job description. I've never worked at a company where people care so much about the work they do and creating a better environment for our store associates and customers.

Cons

There hasn't been too much focus on career development or advancement. I get the feeling that this is changing, which is encouraging. I am eager to see how the approach changes for corporate employees.

We often focus on rewarding great performing associates in our stores (as we should) but lets not forget that our corporate employees work equally as hard and also deserve recognition and incentives.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Every day is different. I get to interact with customers on a daily basis and build strong relationships with them as well as I get to work with some of the best people in the industry. Talbots is a very special brand! A brand with very loyal customers and a team of associates who work every day to achieve the best service experience for their customers!

Cons

Wish it was closer to my home

Started out very good, than went bad after years

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nothing now, Talbots is not the same company anymore.

Cons

Talbots money problems just make the it to stressfull. They had to let go of to many people, but the job still had to be done, So now one person is doing the work of 5 to 6 people. Just to much work for one people to do

Great place to work!

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that work at Talbots are great. Awesome opportunities!

Cons

HR is not the most pleasant to deal with.

Talbots Corporate Office

Former Employee - Merchandising  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location, Coworkers, onsite cafeteria, friendly front desk / reception staff, support staff (office services, etc), free parking, proximity to commuter boats

Cons

Management (all levels) is so concerned with their own stature and filling their pockets. They don't seem to care who they step on to get up the ladder and fill that wallet. Hiring and keeping "entitled" staff who fit the physical mold but don't have the ability to pull their weight has been an issue for years. Very sad, because this is a company that used to be the place people wanted to work at... now it's the place people can't wait to leave.

Disapproval of the CEO harkens back to TS. That's where it all went downhill.

If you would treat others as you want to be treated, you'd be a lot better off.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!