Talbots Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts and very supportive managers.

Cons

When it's quiet, they can call you an hour before you start work to tell you not to bother coming in. They will also send you home early if there are not enough customers in, so the hours given are never guaranteed.

Sales Experience

I worked at Talbots

Pros

work life balance and vacation

Cons

physically challenging and long hours

Poor work environment caused by constant indecision and excessive change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time

Pros

You're allowed almost complete autonomy, enabling you to run your own business and make decisions. The company promotes cross-functional team collaboration. Competitive salary and benefits. Casual dress code.

Cons

Too much hierarchy. Top heavy management - too many VP's who are not always aligned causing constant indecision and changes. Poor culture: constant blame game and the need to cover yourself. Lean staff; thus, long hours and spread thin. Stressful environment. No work/life balance. High turnover. You bring your work home. No career path. Unreasonable deadlines. Your best is not enough. Accomplishments are rewarded with more work.

There have been many leadership changes but none has successfully been able to change the negative culture. Closely evaluate senior management often to weed out the ones who diminish morale and who cause bottlenecks in the pipeline. An unhappy work environment = inefficiency and high turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustration and exhaustion...never experienced so many labor resources wasted in my career.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good customers! Beautiful clothing. Great benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Hours have been cut so less time to engage our customers. Top store management aren't on sales floor to help with service and sales so we are exhausted. company has been devaluing our new product lately by discounting it by 25% when it comes in. Hard to sell full price when it comes in on sale. Very poor planning from merchandising team on floor sets. You never have even 50% of product to execute it and usually within a few days, they will change some sale that requires you redo what you have just done.

Coordinate product delivery better and hire some people in merchandising who have actually worked in a store. Give us the opportunity to sell the new product for at least a werk at full price. Get the top store management off the phone and internet to engage with our clients so we can all be successful in what could be a great store.

Stressful

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment if all your doing is selling. Customers are fun to work with and associates are a pleasure to be with.

Cons

No consistent message from executive teams. You have to talk to your peers in other regions to find out what you need to do. They created new positions with the company which don't make sense and have little to no value to the store. Would be nice to have the truth upfront and it would be nice to have to tools to do what is expected of us.

I'm sure your tired of hearing us say "you need to"...... But really, you need to think of your ROI with some of your field team members. Not feeling a lot of help and if we do get help (phone TB) it's just us agreeing with whatever they say.

Good college job, but no growth potential within company

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time

Pros

Customer service is important. Depends on store but I have a good store manager, she is accommodating with my class schedule. My store has good hours, it is convenient with school. I work with a good set of people and enjoy that.

Cons

Culture nonexistant, Talbots is confused on where they stand. No growth within company, no raises despite getting good annual reviews. Talbots is stuck in a rut, and needs to figure out their corporate issues. There is constant changes that do not make sense and are not benefiting the stores. Corporate needs to realize the stores are what makes the money and take them into consideration. There needs to be stricter guidelines for assistant managers, ours does not do anything and gets away with this lazy work attitude.

Frustrating at it's best.

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The associates in the stores are great as well as the customers. Compensation is fair.

Cons

The business acumen and leadership changes from day to day. You'll spend time doing what they ask and then not receive any acknowledgement of a good job at controlling expenses, hiring great talent, driving business or managing the company's MANY programs. No personal growth or coaching.

They don't want it so why give it.

If you want to be empowered this is the place to be!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

An amazing new leadership team from the very tippy top that empowers and supports you to grow in your career and as an individual. If you want to make a difference and serve your customers and your community this is the place you want to work!

Cons

Those of us that have stayed with the company woild like yearly merit increases to be reinstated as soon as we are in the position to do so, which I totally believe is on its way with our new leadership team!

So happy with the changes made within the company. I believe in the vision! First time I am proud and honored to be a part of an amazing organization!

Love My Job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

Love my job with Talbots… Amazing co-workers and the sweetest, most loyal customers. Benefits are some of the best to be found in Retailing.

If you love what you do, and are GOOD at it, then they will invest in you, giving you unlimited potential for growth in the company.

Cons

Compensation is not nearly what it used to be. No annual raises

Amazing and friendly place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Talbots as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is an amazing one to work for. They offer scholarships to woman pursuing education, are flexible with schedules and the management at the WYO store is amazing.

Cons

Corporate needs to listen more to employees and they need to reevaluate what is sent to store and what is catalog only.

Offer more full-time employment options with better pay.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!