Talbots Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits for full time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 23 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance possible, even in village stores (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Family atmosphere, treated with respect and as adults with responsibility.

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Talbots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company strives to put the best people in management, and I love the people who lead my location. They see everyone as people and are very sincere. They expect effort and treat younger employees like adults (as they should). The overall culture is very positive and I'm looking forward to working here for much longer.

Cons

Be sure to get some comfortable shoes because you will be standing a lot. The manager is good about being the person to get up high and fix things, dust, etc, so that's good.

I love it here! Keep on keepin on!

Great Company,good benefits

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People first environment that strives to improve performance by positive motivation and training.

Cons

Retail hours of course and compensation is a little lower than other companies of the same size

Talbots is a "customer first company".However, the work flow can sometimes stress the store associates when promotions, heavy shipment, and store set preparation all fall at the same time during heavy traffic/sales periods. Distribution, marketing, and operations need to coordinate more efficiently. It can be a better business decision to put off a new set or promotion if it is going to interfere with customer service. There are only so many hours in the day and sending the heaviest shipment of the year on a holiday week with only one week prep time for processing (during the holiday week) keeps your store staff from being able to give 100% to your customers. Just consider what you are asking of your store associates who are doing the physical labor and producing the income!

Great place to work, fashion forward, very co-operative with upper mgmt.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Business is based on relationships you make with clients. Full support in being a stylist and rewards for it.

Cons

upper management is ever-changing. Security/stability sometimes feels threatened.

more visits, more communication

Easy part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time

Pros

Discount on the clothing, depending on the manger of the store depends on the quality of your work experience. Easy job and the people working/shopping their can be entertaining. As long as you enjoy your team the time flies and it's a fun place to work.

Cons

Not much time off. Work most weekends and nights. The company doesn't really take care of their employees. Only allows management to be full-time. No commission or benefits for credit cards. Straight hourly rate.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice working environment. Pleasant customers. Friendly team atmosphere. Good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Company does not hire from within. No merit salary increases for several years. Little opportunity for advancement.

Upper management and head office workers need to be out in the stores. Compensate hard working employees.

Retail store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding clientele, improving product,

Cons

Work load, long hours, excess of 60+hrs/wk, constant change of events and marketing,
    Unrealistic expectations

Listen to those on the front line

I've been at Talbots for over 10 years, I love this company and its history.

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Love my customers, 90% are great. Employee discount is exceptional.
    I have a wonderful team that I built.
    We should be a much better company to work for we were before.

Cons

Pay needs to be better or have incentive program that is money in their check not style $'s.
    I have not had a raise in 4 years despite beating comp #'s.
    Expectations for credit card opening way too high. I'm made to feel like if associates don't make these goals for credit cards despite making sales goals I am expected to threaten them or " have a serious talk" with them.
    Talbots needs to understand out customers are 40's to 50's & up and so are our employees.
    Also way too many floor sets, we have limited payroll to spent on non - productive hours.

Give merit raises- this will build morale
    Visual needs to think about payroll constraints and physical demands
    Stop making associates feel threatened. No one wants to work like that
    If you want the best people you have to pay them
    Set goals but be realistic.

Extremely unrealistic expectations.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bedford, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bedford, NH

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Village locations have better hours, including holiday hours, than mall. Don't usually get angry or hard to deal with cusomters. Good discount, however the clothes are still very expensive.

Cons

No merrit raises for any one in company in over 6 years. Little to no opportunity for growth and promotions- constant outside hires. Expects a lot for little compensation. Absolutely no work life balance possible, even in village stores. Quality of product is nothing like it used to be, however, still has very high price points. Upper management and corporate constantly changing. Would not reccomend.

Acknowledge high performing associates. Listen to your employees. Starting giving raises again.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Valdosta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Valdosta, GA

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, generous salary package and benefits

Cons

Company took to many risk with different designers, manufacturers which cause to lose most of their customers

Should have listen to the mangers who are working in the field and stores

You get yelled at everyday by customers on the phone. Awful place to work. Pay is low.

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Most of the managers are very nice

Cons

It's so stressful for the pay you are given.

BETTER PAY! Better pay!