Talbots

Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits for full time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 23 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance possible, even in village stores (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing opportunity for professional driven people, rewarding of exceptional performance and dedication.

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Simply discover success in a fun, rewarding, professional atmosphere

Cons

Opportunities include whole team buy in

Stay connected to every level of operations and sales. The store should be a well oiled machine. Accountability, encouragement and proformance.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Talbots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small store so it was very easy pace. My team is like family. Good quality products.fantastic discount

Cons

Pay was to low for me to stay on
    We never had enough product
    Communication was choppy. Very inconsistent from corp.
    ASMs arenot treated the same as Co Managers. This is a mistake.

As a member of managment I would have liked a better compensation rate for my position. I had come from a retail back ground with high vol stores, but this store only had ASM positions. I could have contributed more outside our 4 walls. Plus after benefits were taken off my pay my check was to small to survive on. Can't keep quality workers that way.
    Payrol system of $ base hous not productive vs non productive is not good. Hard to work with effectivly.

Management Problems and Few Incentives

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers and my assistant manager, these individuals make working at Talbots an enjoyable experience. I love the wonderful discounts on the beautiful clothes as well.

Cons

Our manager has the assistant manager do most of her job. Now that the manager is made to do the schedule she changes it at a whim and does not notify the employees that she has put them on the schedule to work when they were supposed to be off. When someones parent dies employees are not all treated the same as far as being given time off to be with their dying family member. When a dedicated employee has a loved one die, he company does not send flowers even if the employee has worked for them for years. I have worked for the company for several years and have never been given a raise even though our manager continues to get her bonus for the work that we do to help make the numbers so she can receive a bonus. The company sends out cookies instead of a bonus at Christmas, most of the gifts that come to employees as a thank you for their productivity probably cost more to ship them than the food itself.

Our store is dirty, there are dead bugs in the bonus storage area, these bugs have been there since I have worked there. The store is dirty, the walls need painted and it needs new carpet. We were told that the company would not allocate money to clean the carpet last year, therefore when they finally let us get it cleaned , much of last year's mud was ground into the carpet permanently.

15 minutes to open and close a store to save on work hours is not sufficent time to get things done right.

Too many of your sizes vary from one item to another, I firmly believe this is due to "Fair Trade" and having our clothing made in too many different countries. Sometimes we receive clothing from China that reaks of chemicals, none of the staff ever buys that clothing. The only item that I have seen that was made in the U.S.A. in Talbots over the last 10 years were some socks and tights.

Send out paperwork to all stores with a survey asking them about their store and their manager. Let their names be anonymous.

Dead end

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Talbots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

medical benefits, okay insurance options, disability coverage, short term maternity leave

Cons

no room for growth, corporate culture doesn't provide incentive to sell. Associates are required to maintain high sales volume with very little reward or recognition.

An overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good for the job that you do. The discount is also pretty great and when new merchandise comes out you get 60% off.

Cons

No insurance for part-time employees
    Customers can be a pain sometimes. They lie about not knowing the return policy, that has been changed for years now.

Neutral

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, Good Customer Service

Cons

Limiting growth potential, Drastic changes

The company seems to be struggling, overall.

Family atmosphere, treated with respect and as adults with responsibility.

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Talbots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company strives to put the best people in management, and I love the people who lead my location. They see everyone as people and are very sincere. They expect effort and treat younger employees like adults (as they should). The overall culture is very positive and I'm looking forward to working here for much longer.

Cons

Be sure to get some comfortable shoes because you will be standing a lot. The manager is good about being the person to get up high and fix things, dust, etc, so that's good.

I love it here! Keep on keepin on!

Great Company,good benefits

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People first environment that strives to improve performance by positive motivation and training.

Cons

Retail hours of course and compensation is a little lower than other companies of the same size

Talbots is a "customer first company".However, the work flow can sometimes stress the store associates when promotions, heavy shipment, and store set preparation all fall at the same time during heavy traffic/sales periods. Distribution, marketing, and operations need to coordinate more efficiently. It can be a better business decision to put off a new set or promotion if it is going to interfere with customer service. There are only so many hours in the day and sending the heaviest shipment of the year on a holiday week with only one week prep time for processing (during the holiday week) keeps your store staff from being able to give 100% to your customers. Just consider what you are asking of your store associates who are doing the physical labor and producing the income!

Employee Relations Safe Zone

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Individual store environment, built by strong managers and leaders in the business driving team spirit and building strong long lasting relationships.

Cons

District Leaders threatening associates by email and in person of performance and lack of availability. No safe outlet to express concerns to HR and have a safe work zone that is by policy and not by DM judgement. Very hostile emails directed to districts that are disrespectful to individuals and create hostile work environment. It has been acceptable for these DM's to act this way for years with no change. No pay increase for anyone for 4 years.

The leaders @ Hingham have amazing vision to drive success @ Talbots. These long term DM's have no idea how to succeed in new culture and feel threatened due to not being experienced to create positive change with driving results. They only know what they know and react with defense instead of offense.

Sales Associate PT

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly, paid weekly..

Cons

Pay does not compensate for the work/customer service that is expected.

Increase pay and work hours.

Talbots Photos