Talbots

Talbots Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler

Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Talbots is a great place to work!

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsManagement at my store in Phipps Plaza is spectacular! They really care about their employees. Many of the Talbots customers have been shopping with Talbots for years or even decades which makes it really easy and fun to help customers find what they are looking for. Everyone is always in a good mood. The workload is much lighter and more laid back than other retail stores i have worked at & there is room for advancement if you show interest. Not to mention the discount is amazing and the clothes are super cute which makes it easy to be passionate about the company. We also get paid every Friday which is great!

ConsYou will run across your occasional stuck-up, rude customer but that is expected in all jobs. They really push to sell the credit cards and at times it can get overbearing and unenjoyable. Some customers will complain to you about the quality of the clothing. Customers will often times try to get price adjustments and discounts that are unreasonable, but that is manly the managements duty. If you don't like bagging up the trash, vacumming every opening & closing shift & swiffering the floors regularly then this is not the job for you, but generally these tasks take very little time to complete.

Great company for part time workers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat part time hours and the ability to work with customers

Consno commission and very hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your associates to work like they are on commission then please pay them

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsDiscount on clothing, fashion forward, up on all the trends.

ConsStanding all day and being on your feet for most of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider allowing more frequent shorter breaks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work

Supporting Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPleasant environment. The stores are very nice and usually located in nice surroundings. The employee discount is generous. They offer flexible hours so employees are able to attend school, or simply spend more time with their families.

ConsThe hourly wages are low and they don't offer commission. There is constant pressure to push their credit card, and no monetary incentive to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your sales force for their performance, instead of just telling them every single day that they need to sell more.

Great place, great Brand, great Legacy

ProsWonderful people, fantastic work environment and life/work balance. People here truly care for the company and our customers.

ConsHealth insurance is the worst I've ever had and outrageously expensive. Pay is not great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour health insurance is not in keeping with expressed, and demonstrated corporate values.

I enjoy working at Talbots

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI work with pleasant co-workers and have a great manager who is very supportive of the associates. We receive a 40- 60 percent discount which is a great benefit. It is nice to be able to help customers have a great shopping experience at Talbots.

ConsI think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores. They need to work in the store for a week before they make decisions or make comments about how the manager or staff can improve sales, etc. Pay is minimal and one should not expect a raise in years. We work hard and take pride in this but the store is not recognized unless it meets their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be more realistic and also review their policy of returns. No matter which store the clothing is purchased at, the store that it is returned to takes the hit. We can have a good selling day but the returns kill our numbers. It is very discouraging when you are not a major store and have high sales.

Great Company Where You Can Make a Positive Impact!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsA company where you can make a positive impact on the overall performance and customer experience. If one is willing to work hard, collaborate with other team members and communicate effectively upward within the organization, then the experience working for Talbots is very positive and exciting. It's rare to find a company where the CEO actually reaches out to customers to connect, especially when there is an opportunity to improve the overall customer experience!

ConsThe business performance recovery is taking a bit longer than we would like in order to restore key benefits like annual merit increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being as transparent as possible with internal employees on business performance progress, look for opportunities to share the wins as progress is achieved, continue to remain very focused on the overall customer experience and invest in technologies where the overall experience can be differentiated and enhanced compared to competitive companies.

Store management and associates have kept this organization's heart beating through some very difficult times.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefit package for full-time employees.
    Excellent merchandise discount.
    Thorough training and reasonable advancement opportunities.
    Generally very nice co-workers and customers.
    Above-average wage for entry-level part-time retail employees.

ConsSo many changes in company leadershilp, direction, and policy have created confusion and uncertainty.
    The company's top-down organization style limits local input and ignores customer feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and solicit store-level input.
    Know your customer and exceed her expectations.

Not a good experience!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsThe other sales associates who were having the same issues as myself.

ConsDealing with the pressure to make your daily sales quota. Given only a three month probation time to show yourself I was not given a chance to run the register but only to sell, sell, sell! The manager was not hands on upfront and assistant manager seemed to busy help train. Did not seem to be on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running through employees like they were cattle. Take the time to properly train and keep employees.

Good Experience while Working Through College

Sales Support Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, perfect while working my way through college. The store managers have strong customer service and selling skills. Co-workers are generally willing to switch shifts with you or pick up a shift if you need them to, which I always appreciated. This job helped me become more outgoing and confident working with customers and responding to unknown situations, which is a transferable job skill I use every day in my career. I was able to grow while working here, becoming a member of the brand moment team for new store sets, and also taking a lead sales support role. After graduation, I interviewed for a full time role as an assistant manager, but did not get an offer.

ConsAs in all customer service roles, the customers can be very mean, cranky, negative, and unappreciative.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!