Talbots

Updated November 23, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits for full time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 23 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance possible, even in village stores (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Family atmosphere, treated with respect and as adults with responsibility.

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Talbots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company strives to put the best people in management, and I love the people who lead my location. They see everyone as people and are very sincere. They expect effort and treat younger employees like adults (as they should). The overall culture is very positive and I'm looking forward to working here for much longer.

Cons

Be sure to get some comfortable shoes because you will be standing a lot. The manager is good about being the person to get up high and fix things, dust, etc, so that's good.

I love it here! Keep on keepin on!

Management Problems and Few Incentives

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers and my assistant manager, these individuals make working at Talbots an enjoyable experience. I love the wonderful discounts on the beautiful clothes as well.

Cons

Our manager has the assistant manager do most of her job. Now that the manager is made to do the schedule she changes it at a whim and does not notify the employees that she has put them on the schedule to work when they were supposed to be off. When someones parent dies employees are not all treated the same as far as being given time off to be with their dying family member. When a dedicated employee has a loved one die, he company does not send flowers even if the employee has worked for them for years. I have worked for the company for several years and have never been given a raise even though our manager continues to get her bonus for the work that we do to help make the numbers so she can receive a bonus. The company sends out cookies instead of a bonus at Christmas, most of the gifts that come to employees as a thank you for their productivity probably cost more to ship them than the food itself.

Our store is dirty, there are dead bugs in the bonus storage area, these bugs have been there since I have worked there. The store is dirty, the walls need painted and it needs new carpet. We were told that the company would not allocate money to clean the carpet last year, therefore when they finally let us get it cleaned , much of last year's mud was ground into the carpet permanently.

15 minutes to open and close a store to save on work hours is not sufficent time to get things done right.

Too many of your sizes vary from one item to another, I firmly believe this is due to "Fair Trade" and having our clothing made in too many different countries. Sometimes we receive clothing from China that reaks of chemicals, none of the staff ever buys that clothing. The only item that I have seen that was made in the U.S.A. in Talbots over the last 10 years were some socks and tights.

Send out paperwork to all stores with a survey asking them about their store and their manager. Let their names be anonymous.

Sales Associate PT

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly, paid weekly..

Cons

Pay does not compensate for the work/customer service that is expected.

Increase pay and work hours.

An evolving environment

Former Employee - Anonymous in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large corporation culture and benefits. The culture was continuing to evolve to a more progressive and up to date atmosphere in the final years of my employment. Lots of great, hard working peers.

Cons

It is well known that the company has been going through a dramatic transition from a public thriving company to a lean and more efficient enterprise. The staffing has been cut too thin for the amount of work my group was tasked to accomplished and so it was hard to do a good job. A lot of outsourcing and "downsizing" was done in my final years there. This resulted in understandable culture of fear and heightened finger pointing as things were predictably dropped due to over taxing the team.

Adjust staffing levels up to allow for the high quality product that Talbots is known for.

Typical retail with a pinch of class

I worked at Talbots

Pros

The 50-60% discount is a plus if you like the clothes.

Cons

Lack of hours which is something that happens in a lot of retail stores

Worked for the company for 9 years

Former Employee - Co Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Co Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and development for management t

Cons

Took away too many benefits

Treat workers with respect

Poor and Unprofessional Management

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Talbots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discount, nice staff, quality product, wonderful customers

Cons

Assistant manager's behavior is rude and condescending. Manager's advice "just talk her down give her a bag to breathe into".

Assistant manager's behavior is outrageous. She is confusing, rude, demeaning and condescending. She has no managerial skills. The manager is no help. She said to "just talk her down and give her a paper bag to breathe into". Talbots part time staff at this store consists of several associates who retired from professional positions, i.e. teachers, managers, paralegal, etc. who are used to better management.

Great working environment

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Great staff to work with. Flexible with hours. High compensation for a retail job.

Cons

The customers are very needy and at times rude. Always trying to return products for better price/worn.

Great Company,good benefits

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People first environment that strives to improve performance by positive motivation and training.

Cons

Retail hours of course and compensation is a little lower than other companies of the same size

Talbots is a "customer first company".However, the work flow can sometimes stress the store associates when promotions, heavy shipment, and store set preparation all fall at the same time during heavy traffic/sales periods. Distribution, marketing, and operations need to coordinate more efficiently. It can be a better business decision to put off a new set or promotion if it is going to interfere with customer service. There are only so many hours in the day and sending the heaviest shipment of the year on a holiday week with only one week prep time for processing (during the holiday week) keeps your store staff from being able to give 100% to your customers. Just consider what you are asking of your store associates who are doing the physical labor and producing the income!

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice working environment. Pleasant customers. Friendly team atmosphere. Good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Company does not hire from within. No merit salary increases for several years. Little opportunity for advancement.

Upper management and head office workers need to be out in the stores. Compensate hard working employees.

Talbots Photos