Talbots Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• The work life balance is not available (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding clientele, improving product,

Cons

Work load, long hours, excess of 60+hrs/wk, constant change of events and marketing,
    Unrealistic expectations

Listen to those on the front line

The culture is one of indecision and change that is not always effective.

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, clothing is high quality.

Cons

Continued field leadership changes. New positions in the field put in place that are not productive or effective. The culture can be very "false positive" The culture is one of "go along to get along". Talbots will have a successful year this year do to improved product, very weak business last year due to weather and bottom line controls of payroll & spending, if the culture was positive and stable it could be an even more successful.

Put ego aside and your finger on the pulse of the field and listen objectively.

Poor upper management always changing different perceptions on how company should run.

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Great discount on product on new lines

Cons

Life work balance to many changes to monthly calendar planning

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Key-holder

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, opportunity to move up within the company, and good benefits package. Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job.

Cons

Still working on getting up to date with technology advances to make sales and marketing easier on the store level. The company has changed hands a couple time in the past year so the business models have gone through a lot of different changes.

There is good opportunity in the company to move up, but they offer different pay levels to those coming off the street then those working their way through the ranks, it would be nice to have the same opportunity to negotiate pay increases with. Ore reception from upper management

Frustration and exhaustion...never experienced so many labor resources wasted in my career.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good customers! Beautiful clothing. Great benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Hours have been cut so less time to engage our customers. Top store management aren't on sales floor to help with service and sales so we are exhausted. company has been devaluing our new product lately by discounting it by 25% when it comes in. Hard to sell full price when it comes in on sale. Very poor planning from merchandising team on floor sets. You never have even 50% of product to execute it and usually within a few days, they will change some sale that requires you redo what you have just done.

Coordinate product delivery better and hire some people in merchandising who have actually worked in a store. Give us the opportunity to sell the new product for at least a werk at full price. Get the top store management off the phone and internet to engage with our clients so we can all be successful in what could be a great store.

Stressful

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment if all your doing is selling. Customers are fun to work with and associates are a pleasure to be with.

Cons

No consistent message from executive teams. You have to talk to your peers in other regions to find out what you need to do. They created new positions with the company which don't make sense and have little to no value to the store. Would be nice to have the truth upfront and it would be nice to have to tools to do what is expected of us.

I'm sure your tired of hearing us say "you need to"...... But really, you need to think of your ROI with some of your field team members. Not feeling a lot of help and if we do get help (phone TB) it's just us agreeing with whatever they say.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts and very supportive managers.

Cons

When it's quiet, they can call you an hour before you start work to tell you not to bother coming in. They will also send you home early if there are not enough customers in, so the hours given are never guaranteed.

Poor work environment caused by constant indecision and excessive change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time

Pros

You're allowed almost complete autonomy, enabling you to run your own business and make decisions. The company promotes cross-functional team collaboration. Competitive salary and benefits. Casual dress code.

Cons

Too much hierarchy. Top heavy management - too many VP's who are not always aligned causing constant indecision and changes. Poor culture: constant blame game and the need to cover yourself. Lean staff; thus, long hours and spread thin. Stressful environment. No work/life balance. High turnover. You bring your work home. No career path. Unreasonable deadlines. Your best is not enough. Accomplishments are rewarded with more work.

There have been many leadership changes but none has successfully been able to change the negative culture. Closely evaluate senior management often to weed out the ones who diminish morale and who cause bottlenecks in the pipeline. An unhappy work environment = inefficiency and high turnover.

Sales Experience

I worked at Talbots

Pros

work life balance and vacation

Cons

physically challenging and long hours

Good college job, but no growth potential within company

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time

Pros

Customer service is important. Depends on store but I have a good store manager, she is accommodating with my class schedule. My store has good hours, it is convenient with school. I work with a good set of people and enjoy that.

Cons

Culture nonexistant, Talbots is confused on where they stand. No growth within company, no raises despite getting good annual reviews. Talbots is stuck in a rut, and needs to figure out their corporate issues. There is constant changes that do not make sense and are not benefiting the stores. Corporate needs to realize the stores are what makes the money and take them into consideration. There needs to be stricter guidelines for assistant managers, ours does not do anything and gets away with this lazy work attitude.

Talbots Photos

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!