Talbots

Updated August 21, 2014

3.3

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

paycheck to pay.check job

Former Employee - Computer Operator  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Operator in Hingham, MA

Pros

You have the oportunity to learn if you have the initiative and drive.

Cons

tend to get repetative tasks when you are known to be good at what you do. do to recent layoffs and financial woes moving up the ladder is not the easiest thing to achieve.

Listen carefully to your staff for ideas that can increase throughput and create more ROI.

Great customers and co-workers. Unrealistic goals set by co and mgr for daily sales and cc applications.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Good discounts on clothing. fun coworkers and some of the managers are super nice. Reset nights are fun with all the cure there.

Cons

Schedules can change at a moments notice and the mgr is not good at working with a school schedule or exam schedule. They pay low as well.

You will have happier employees and lower turnover if you don't push so hard and you work with student schedules. School is more important than a low paying retail job.

A living nightmare...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kittery, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kittery, ME

Pros

The only pro will be when your shift ends. And the day you find a new job. Possibly a co worker or two.

Cons

Terrible DM. Will not promote from within. Horrible working conditions long hours on your feet.customers are complete slobs. Disgusting detached client base.

Value your employees. Invest in them and treat with respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talbots cares about their employees

Pros

The company/ upper managerment honestly listens to the feeback from their stores. They often promote from the inside and I have always felt appreciated as an employee. In addition, they have provided associates with bonuses this year. Talbots also cares so much about their customers and we work diligently from a store and corporate level to always do what is right for the customer. I have seen this company improve greatly within the past year. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next year as well! The discount is phenomenal, too!

Cons

There needs to be a better system to anonymously report HR issues.

Keep doing what you have been doing. I feel valued as an employee with Talbots & I feel adequately compensated for my work. Thanks for listening to your employees. I look forward to a long career with this brand.

Depressing and disheartening.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chappaqua, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chappaqua, NY

Pros

This location is a short commute for me. I love to sell and enjoy most of the customers and the part-time staff.

Cons

No room for advancement, no reward system, extremely physical labor, mind numbing duties. Management structure ensures no creativity and product is sometimes hard to sell. Hourly rate of pay creates more below poverty level jobs. Management does not care at all about employee turn over.

Great heritage

Pros

Former execs were outstanding in their leadership

Cons

New execs have been very rough in sales field

Care more about your people

Great place to start not the place to get where you're going...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

Pros

Good pay and employee discount, good learning experience although training is rushed, loved my coworkers, definitely a flexible work schedule and the program they use for scheduling is good.

Cons

The hours are not reliable, management hires people on constantly and that results in pay checks that you can't live on. Quality of product is definitely getting worse while product price is increasing! They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates.

don't over hire and realize people don't just work here for the employee discount (they actually have to make a living).

Employed at talbots 2.5 years

Pros

Work life balance and bonus

Cons

Disengaged employees, little upward mobility

Empower employees to make decisions

Not the best!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

The employees at my store were a pleasure to work with. My general manager (when I was hired) was a delight to work under. Thankfully, Talbots paid me slightly higher than other stores I had worked at in the mall (Ann Taylor, LOFT, Victoria's Secret, White House Black Market).

Cons

Upper management fired the store manager who basically held our store together. Corporate got rid of the part-time assistang manager position WITHOUT WARNING. One day our ASM just showed up to work to find out she had been let go. She was in tears.

Treat your lower-level employees better. Your regional and district managers are all intimidation with no understanding or motivation. They use scare tactics like threatening to fire people instead of motivating them to work harder.

Educational

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

It's a great environment, and getting to work with such loyal customers makes you realize the depth of the company. People leave feeling better about themselves after getting to shop with us.

Cons

The sales associates are relied on a lot at the smaller locations and have to do a lot more when new shipment comes in and store sets come up. When at the larger stores they have more help. But you do end up learning the ins and outs more in depth.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!