Talbots Reviews

Updated September 24, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• The work life balance is not available (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great customers and co-workers. Unrealistic goals set by co and mgr for daily sales and cc applications.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts on clothing. fun coworkers and some of the managers are super nice. Reset nights are fun with all the cure there.

Cons

Schedules can change at a moments notice and the mgr is not good at working with a school schedule or exam schedule. They pay low as well.

You will have happier employees and lower turnover if you don't push so hard and you work with student schedules. School is more important than a low paying retail job.

Talbots cares about their employees

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

The company/ upper managerment honestly listens to the feeback from their stores. They often promote from the inside and I have always felt appreciated as an employee. In addition, they have provided associates with bonuses this year. Talbots also cares so much about their customers and we work diligently from a store and corporate level to always do what is right for the customer. I have seen this company improve greatly within the past year. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next year as well! The discount is phenomenal, too!

Cons

There needs to be a better system to anonymously report HR issues.

Keep doing what you have been doing. I feel valued as an employee with Talbots & I feel adequately compensated for my work. Thanks for listening to your employees. I look forward to a long career with this brand.

Good Experience while Working Through College

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate

I worked at Talbots part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling, perfect while working my way through college. The store managers have strong customer service and selling skills. Co-workers are generally willing to switch shifts with you or pick up a shift if you need them to, which I always appreciated. This job helped me become more outgoing and confident working with customers and responding to unknown situations, which is a transferable job skill I use every day in my career. I was able to grow while working here, becoming a member of the brand moment team for new store sets, and also taking a lead sales support role. After graduation, I interviewed for a full time role as an assistant manager, but did not get an offer.

Cons

As in all customer service roles, the customers can be very mean, cranky, negative, and unappreciative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depressing and disheartening.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chappaqua, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chappaqua, NY

I have been working at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros

This location is a short commute for me. I love to sell and enjoy most of the customers and the part-time staff.

Cons

No room for advancement, no reward system, extremely physical labor, mind numbing duties. Management structure ensures no creativity and product is sometimes hard to sell. Hourly rate of pay creates more below poverty level jobs. Management does not care at all about employee turn over.

Good Job But expectations change daily

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talbots really loves its customers and is working hard to return the brand to its former status.

Co workers from a family atmosphere and really care about one another.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Part time associates expected to have open availability but some weeks may get scheduled only 5 - 10 hours.

Unrealistic expectations around individual metric performance.

No merit increase or even cost of living increase for years. No incentive.

Not required to wear the clothes but punished by DM when not.

Make Work Life balance a priority.

Understand that associates cannot be 100% dedicated to a part time job

Financial incentives, especially without any pay increase.

Great heritage

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Former execs were outstanding in their leadership

Cons

New execs have been very rough in sales field

Care more about your people

Great place to start not the place to get where you're going...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and employee discount, good learning experience although training is rushed, loved my coworkers, definitely a flexible work schedule and the program they use for scheduling is good.

Cons

The hours are not reliable, management hires people on constantly and that results in pay checks that you can't live on. Quality of product is definitely getting worse while product price is increasing! They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates.

don't over hire and realize people don't just work here for the employee discount (they actually have to make a living).

Educational

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

It's a great environment, and getting to work with such loyal customers makes you realize the depth of the company. People leave feeling better about themselves after getting to shop with us.

Cons

The sales associates are relied on a lot at the smaller locations and have to do a lot more when new shipment comes in and store sets come up. When at the larger stores they have more help. But you do end up learning the ins and outs more in depth.

Employed at talbots 2.5 years

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance and bonus

Cons

Disengaged employees, little upward mobility

Empower employees to make decisions

Not the best!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees at my store were a pleasure to work with. My general manager (when I was hired) was a delight to work under. Thankfully, Talbots paid me slightly higher than other stores I had worked at in the mall (Ann Taylor, LOFT, Victoria's Secret, White House Black Market).

Cons

Upper management fired the store manager who basically held our store together. Corporate got rid of the part-time assistang manager position WITHOUT WARNING. One day our ASM just showed up to work to find out she had been let go. She was in tears.

Treat your lower-level employees better. Your regional and district managers are all intimidation with no understanding or motivation. They use scare tactics like threatening to fire people instead of motivating them to work harder.

Talbots Photos

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!