Talbots

Updated August 12, 2014

3.3

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I plan on retiring with Talbots! (and I am no where near retirement)

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Love the people I work with. Field management is amazing, supportive and respectful. Upper management really listens to customers and associates and reacts accordingly. Great quality product, classic with a current twist. All the changes we have seen have streamlined our operations creating more time with our customers. Great incentive programs available to all levels of associates. Fun contests! Recognition on store, district, region and company levels given on a consistent basis. Also, work life balance actually exists at Talbots.

Cons

Initial training was not as thorough as I expected. This has changed immensely over the past 2 years.

Thanks you for making Talbots such an amazing place to work. Keep up the great work.

I have been very happy at Talbots up until this year...and I have been with them For 5 plus years.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

let me tell you that I loved working here but after this year and all the running around I have gotten from the DM.I am not liking my job as much any More store manager awesome I have no problem with any of my coworkers we make a great team and I am a part time manager have been looking for more over 4 years...

Cons

challenges have a lot of them and we work through them all I am just so up set with the new DM.saying she doesn't know me well how could you know me.. she never there and my manager has ask several times for me to become full time.... and we need me to come on full time... done doing for talbots because it has gotten me nothing ..and I went above and beyond in my job..

Be fair with your employees. . I would think if you had some one willing to giving her all you would like to keep her... especially how bad the work force is today....

Awesome

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Great people to work with and customers

Cons

Not enough training for advancement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Don't do it!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Kittery, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kittery, ME

Pros

Customers are ok to deal with.

Cons

No work life balance. Awful DSM. No work during slow months. Very low pay.

Pay is to low for workload. Get rid of your senior management they suck!

I love working at Talbots

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great co-workers, very supportive upper management teams, love the current senior leadership team. The products are beautiful, classic with modern twist. Quality product with reasonable pricing equals Value. Talbots offers great work life balance. I enjoy coming to work everyday, love my job.

Cons

Although we are NOT required to wear the brand to work but I always wear Talbots clothes everywhere even outside of work, I spent more money on clothes then I should, love the clothes!

Wonderful learning environment!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Positive learning and selling atmosphere. Loyal customers make up the base of the brand and selling experience which drives store metrics and profitability. Easy and flexible work schedule. Store level and Upper level store management makes coaching and daily tasks easy to understand and set reasonable sales goals. In my particular store location we had a very low turn-over-rate and had a variety of different types of people working together to achieve one large goal!

Cons

Changes happen quickly and can be hard to implement right away. Otherwise, I was very satisfied with how management chose to roll out new changes quarterly.

Good Job- High stakes sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

-Excellent pay
    -Small, intimate company
    -Faithful customer base
    -Consistent feedback on your performance, and goal oriented sales

Cons

-Discouraged from social relationships with other associates
    -Competitive sales
    -The brand and style can be slightly outdated, and the customer base is loyal, but small. Where other companies are sales driven, this one is so in a desperate way. Every dollar is meticulously counted, and your worth depends on your sales.
    -You will not get commission for these sales
    -The high stakes with low reward can be stressful

Updating the brand will help the business, and work atmosphere.

General Manager excited for the future!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

Pros

No one values their customers like Talbots. All decisions made are with her in mind, the current senior leadership team is totally committed and on the same path to make her happy. The shift in on-line versus brick-and-mortar is tough on all retailers, but Talbots understands the key to success is amazing service. Current initiatives reinforce this belief and are an exciting challenge for all of us in stores. The environment is decidedly collaborative, with all voices being heard, respected and valued.

Cons

No merit increases over several past years, although opportunities to bonus are becoming more and more available.

Keep listening, you will always learn from your customers and your teams!

Talbot's is a great place to work

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

The best thing about working at Talbot's is the people. The Company also is open to feedback and applies it. My boss is supportive of my develpment and wants to see me grow. The Co.has recently added some new positions to support the field.

Cons

Changes in upper Management have been frequent. I feel this new exceutive team is the right team to move the Co.forward.

Continue moving the company in a profitable direction. The streamlined focus has been very effective. It really shows you care about the people that face the customer daily. Please continue to evlove the product & marketing.

Exceptional work experience!

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Talbots has moved forward through a tough retail environment over the last 2 years thanks to an amazing executive leadership team, a focus on the customer, delivering quality, an inspired work force and making smart decisions. I feel incredibly lucky to have been a part of the process as a District Manager and to be empowered and enabled to lead my team in a way that balances celebration and inspiration with accountability. I'm encouraged to have a work/life balance and to make decisions based on my experience and knowledge. I am trusted to do what I do best... drive results through my phenomenal team. There are paths for advancement for those who are interested and we all are challenged to always be improving... for ourselves, for the customer, for the brand.

Cons

Because Talbots is a fleet of several hundred stores and a very expansive online/direct business... decisions and changes can take what seems to be a long time. It can be positive that decisions aren't rushed or made before careful consideration but for those of us who are passionate and results driven, the process can seem slow.

To the upper managment... continue your commitment to transparency, open communication and collaboration with the field leaders.The store teams can see a difference and it is motivating them to own their business and the customer experience. Keep listening to the customer as she is loyal and passionate but has very high expectations of us.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!