Talbots Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in the company, they understand you also have a life outside of the job (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits for full time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 22 reviews)

• The work life balance is not available (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, positive outlook

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

This company seems to be doing well, and has really narrowed down their niche market.

Cons

If you are interested in making commission, this is not the place for you. I got paid under $10 for my work as a sales associate. As a manager I am sure you'd be paid more and maybe you could make more as a more established employee.

Keep it up. But don't rely on clearance and deep sales for your revenue.

Not a good experience!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Talbots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other sales associates who were having the same issues as myself.

Cons

Dealing with the pressure to make your daily sales quota. Given only a three month probation time to show yourself I was not given a chance to run the register but only to sell, sell, sell! The manager was not hands on upfront and assistant manager seemed to busy help train. Did not seem to be on the same page.

Stop running through employees like they were cattle. Take the time to properly train and keep employees.

I enjoy working at Talbots

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work with pleasant co-workers and have a great manager who is very supportive of the associates. We receive a 40- 60 percent discount which is a great benefit. It is nice to be able to help customers have a great shopping experience at Talbots.

Cons

I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores. They need to work in the store for a week before they make decisions or make comments about how the manager or staff can improve sales, etc. Pay is minimal and one should not expect a raise in years. We work hard and take pride in this but the store is not recognized unless it meets their goals.

Upper management needs to be more realistic and also review their policy of returns. No matter which store the clothing is purchased at, the store that it is returned to takes the hit. We can have a good selling day but the returns kill our numbers. It is very discouraging when you are not a major store and have high sales.

Store management and associates have kept this organization's heart beating through some very difficult times.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit package for full-time employees.
    Excellent merchandise discount.
    Thorough training and reasonable advancement opportunities.
    Generally very nice co-workers and customers.
    Above-average wage for entry-level part-time retail employees.

Cons

So many changes in company leadershilp, direction, and policy have created confusion and uncertainty.
    The company's top-down organization style limits local input and ignores customer feedback.

Value and solicit store-level input.
    Know your customer and exceed her expectations.

Good Experience while Working Through College

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, perfect while working my way through college. The store managers have strong customer service and selling skills. Co-workers are generally willing to switch shifts with you or pick up a shift if you need them to, which I always appreciated. This job helped me become more outgoing and confident working with customers and responding to unknown situations, which is a transferable job skill I use every day in my career. I was able to grow while working here, becoming a member of the brand moment team for new store sets, and also taking a lead sales support role. After graduation, I interviewed for a full time role as an assistant manager, but did not get an offer.

Cons

As in all customer service roles, the customers can be very mean, cranky, negative, and unappreciative.

Good Job But expectations change daily

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talbots really loves its customers and is working hard to return the brand to its former status.

Co workers from a family atmosphere and really care about one another.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Part time associates expected to have open availability but some weeks may get scheduled only 5 - 10 hours.

Unrealistic expectations around individual metric performance.

No merit increase or even cost of living increase for years. No incentive.

Not required to wear the clothes but punished by DM when not.

Make Work Life balance a priority.

Understand that associates cannot be 100% dedicated to a part time job

Financial incentives, especially without any pay increase.

Great company moving in the right direction!

I have been working at Talbots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Talbots loves their customers and really values employees. Great opportunity for independent thinkers who love retail!

Cons

There have been several changes in leadership and direction in recent years which has been a challenge...but feel very confident with current team and innovations!

Continue to look for ways to train, engage and reward associates at all levels.

Incredible

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

I love the environment here! Everyone is always in a good mood. Everything Is upbeat

Cons

Not many. Sometimes it's annoying when you always have to wear Talbots.

paycheck to pay.check job

Former Employee - Computer Operator in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Operator in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You have the oportunity to learn if you have the initiative and drive.

Cons

tend to get repetative tasks when you are known to be good at what you do. do to recent layoffs and financial woes moving up the ladder is not the easiest thing to achieve.

Listen carefully to your staff for ideas that can increase throughput and create more ROI.

Great customers and co-workers. Unrealistic goals set by co and mgr for daily sales and cc applications.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discounts on clothing. fun coworkers and some of the managers are super nice. Reset nights are fun with all the cure there.

Cons

Schedules can change at a moments notice and the mgr is not good at working with a school schedule or exam schedule. They pay low as well.

You will have happier employees and lower turnover if you don't push so hard and you work with student schedules. School is more important than a low paying retail job.

Talbots Photos