Talbots Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Employed at talbots 2.5 years

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance and bonus

Cons

Disengaged employees, little upward mobility

Empower employees to make decisions

Not the best!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees at my store were a pleasure to work with. My general manager (when I was hired) was a delight to work under. Thankfully, Talbots paid me slightly higher than other stores I had worked at in the mall (Ann Taylor, LOFT, Victoria's Secret, White House Black Market).

Cons

Upper management fired the store manager who basically held our store together. Corporate got rid of the part-time assistang manager position WITHOUT WARNING. One day our ASM just showed up to work to find out she had been let go. She was in tears.

Treat your lower-level employees better. Your regional and district managers are all intimidation with no understanding or motivation. They use scare tactics like threatening to fire people instead of motivating them to work harder.

I love working at Talbots

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, very supportive upper management teams, love the current senior leadership team. The products are beautiful, classic with modern twist. Quality product with reasonable pricing equals Value. Talbots offers great work life balance. I enjoy coming to work everyday, love my job.

Cons

Although we are NOT required to wear the brand to work but I always wear Talbots clothes everywhere even outside of work, I spent more money on clothes then I should, love the clothes!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I plan on retiring with Talbots! (and I am no where near retirement)

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the people I work with. Field management is amazing, supportive and respectful. Upper management really listens to customers and associates and reacts accordingly. Great quality product, classic with a current twist. All the changes we have seen have streamlined our operations creating more time with our customers. Great incentive programs available to all levels of associates. Fun contests! Recognition on store, district, region and company levels given on a consistent basis. Also, work life balance actually exists at Talbots.

Cons

Initial training was not as thorough as I expected. This has changed immensely over the past 2 years.

Thanks you for making Talbots such an amazing place to work. Keep up the great work.

Pleasure to work here

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great managers, and good co-workers for the most part. You can tell that most of the people who work here really care about their job, and the customers' shopping experience and satisfaction with our brand. My managers were very understanding of my classes' demands while I was in school, which I really appreciated.

Cons

Corporate's emphasis on the number of new customers and PSAs that each associate gets is a little unreasonable, and while there is room (kind of?) for growth within the company, I really wish there were full-time positions besides just the managers.

Full-time associates!

I have been very happy at Talbots up until this year...and I have been with them For 5 plus years.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

let me tell you that I loved working here but after this year and all the running around I have gotten from the DM.I am not liking my job as much any More store manager awesome I have no problem with any of my coworkers we make a great team and I am a part time manager have been looking for more over 4 years...

Cons

challenges have a lot of them and we work through them all I am just so up set with the new DM.saying she doesn't know me well how could you know me.. she never there and my manager has ask several times for me to become full time.... and we need me to come on full time... done doing for talbots because it has gotten me nothing ..and I went above and beyond in my job..

Be fair with your employees. . I would think if you had some one willing to giving her all you would like to keep her... especially how bad the work force is today....

Awesome

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and customers

Cons

Not enough training for advancement

Wonderful learning environment!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive learning and selling atmosphere. Loyal customers make up the base of the brand and selling experience which drives store metrics and profitability. Easy and flexible work schedule. Store level and Upper level store management makes coaching and daily tasks easy to understand and set reasonable sales goals. In my particular store location we had a very low turn-over-rate and had a variety of different types of people working together to achieve one large goal!

Cons

Changes happen quickly and can be hard to implement right away. Otherwise, I was very satisfied with how management chose to roll out new changes quarterly.

Good Job- High stakes sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Excellent pay
    -Small, intimate company
    -Faithful customer base
    -Consistent feedback on your performance, and goal oriented sales

Cons

-Discouraged from social relationships with other associates
    -Competitive sales
    -The brand and style can be slightly outdated, and the customer base is loyal, but small. Where other companies are sales driven, this one is so in a desperate way. Every dollar is meticulously counted, and your worth depends on your sales.
    -You will not get commission for these sales
    -The high stakes with low reward can be stressful

Updating the brand will help the business, and work atmosphere.

General Manager excited for the future!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

No one values their customers like Talbots. All decisions made are with her in mind, the current senior leadership team is totally committed and on the same path to make her happy. The shift in on-line versus brick-and-mortar is tough on all retailers, but Talbots understands the key to success is amazing service. Current initiatives reinforce this belief and are an exciting challenge for all of us in stores. The environment is decidedly collaborative, with all voices being heard, respected and valued.

Cons

No merit increases over several past years, although opportunities to bonus are becoming more and more available.

Keep listening, you will always learn from your customers and your teams!

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!