Talbots Reviews

1. co-manager

Former Employee - Co Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Co Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Great family environment, how I made many of my close friends.

Cons

Upper management would benefit by listening to stores on a closer level.

listen to the concerns voiced in stores. Keep the associates focused with support.

2. Amazing opportunity for professional driven people, rewarding of exceptional performance and dedication.

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Simply discover success in a fun, rewarding, professional atmosphere

Cons

Opportunities include whole team buy in

Stay connected to every level of operations and sales. The store should be a well oiled machine. Accountability, encouragement and proformance.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Talbots full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small store so it was very easy pace. My team is like family. Good quality products.fantastic discount

Cons

Pay was to low for me to stay on
    We never had enough product
    Communication was choppy. Very inconsistent from corp.
    ASMs arenot treated the same as Co Managers. This is a mistake.

As a member of managment I would have liked a better compensation rate for my position. I had come from a retail back ground with high vol stores, but this store only had ASM positions. I could have contributed more outside our 4 walls. Plus after benefits were taken off my pay my check was to small to survive on. Can't keep quality workers that way.
    Payrol system of $ base hous not productive vs non productive is not good. Hard to work with effectivly.

Worst Experience ever!

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Talbots

Pros

employee discount, up to date technology

Cons

No respect from corporate partners, treat you like dirt. No appreciation for hard work and dedication. Nothing you do is good enough. They preach "hug your customer" which is easy and gratifying but your superiors step on you!

6. Dead end

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Talbots full-time (less than a year)

Pros

medical benefits, okay insurance options, disability coverage, short term maternity leave

Cons

no room for growth, corporate culture doesn't provide incentive to sell. Associates are required to maintain high sales volume with very little reward or recognition.

7. An overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for the job that you do. The discount is also pretty great and when new merchandise comes out you get 60% off.

Cons

No insurance for part-time employees
    Customers can be a pain sometimes. They lie about not knowing the return policy, that has been changed for years now.

Management Problems and Few Incentives

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers and my assistant manager, these individuals make working at Talbots an enjoyable experience. I love the wonderful discounts on the beautiful clothes as well.

Cons

Our manager has the assistant manager do most of her job. Now that the manager is made to do the schedule she changes it at a whim and does not notify the employees that she has put them on the schedule to work when they were supposed to be off. When someones parent dies employees are not all treated the same as far as being given time off to be with their dying family member. When a dedicated employee has a loved one die, he company does not send flowers even if the employee has worked for them for years. I have worked for the company for several years and have never been given a raise even though our manager continues to get her bonus for the work that we do to help make the numbers so she can receive a bonus. The company sends out cookies instead of a bonus at Christmas, most of the gifts that come to employees as a thank you for their productivity probably cost more to ship them than the food itself.

Our store is dirty, there are dead bugs in the bonus storage area, these bugs have been there since I have worked there. The store is dirty, the walls need painted and it needs new carpet. We were told that the company would not allocate money to clean the carpet last year, therefore when they finally let us get it cleaned , much of last year's mud was ground into the carpet permanently.

15 minutes to open and close a store to save on work hours is not sufficent time to get things done right.

Too many of your sizes vary from one item to another, I firmly believe this is due to "Fair Trade" and having our clothing made in too many different countries. Sometimes we receive clothing from China that reaks of chemicals, none of the staff ever buys that clothing. The only item that I have seen that was made in the U.S.A. in Talbots over the last 10 years were some socks and tights.

Send out paperwork to all stores with a survey asking them about their store and their manager. Let their names be anonymous.

9. Neutral

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, Good Customer Service

Cons

Limiting growth potential, Drastic changes

The company seems to be struggling, overall.

10. Sales Associate PT

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Talbots part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly, paid weekly..

Cons

Pay does not compensate for the work/customer service that is expected.

Increase pay and work hours.

An evolving environment

Former Employee - Anonymous in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Hingham, MA

I worked at Talbots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large corporation culture and benefits. The culture was continuing to evolve to a more progressive and up to date atmosphere in the final years of my employment. Lots of great, hard working peers.

Cons

It is well known that the company has been going through a dramatic transition from a public thriving company to a lean and more efficient enterprise. The staffing has been cut too thin for the amount of work my group was tasked to accomplished and so it was hard to do a good job. A lot of outsourcing and "downsizing" was done in my final years there. This resulted in understandable culture of fear and heightened finger pointing as things were predictably dropped due to over taxing the team.

Adjust staffing levels up to allow for the high quality product that Talbots is known for.