Talecris Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.8

Talecris CEO & Chairman Lawrence Stern
Lawrence Stern

Pros
  • Good benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, very professional and passionate about the plasma industry, yet relaxed enough to make long lasting friendships (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • turnover rate was too often due poor management decisions (in 3 reviews)

• Very fast paced, at times the amount of work is overwhelming (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A long haul to go public, then comes the sellout.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Talecris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance
    Comfortable yet busy work place
    Staff are mostly awesome
    Sundays always off

Cons

Uncertainty due to recent firings
    Buyout by Grifols makes long time staff less valuable
    Management lacks independence from corporate that it once had

Stand up for you staff. You know their character, now keep yours by fighting for the good ones.

Treat the donors better. They are the lifeblood of your business, literally, so a gatorade or a speedpass will mean nothing when your numbers drop too low for Grifols to maintain you.

Don't badmouth hourly staff to other hourly staff--every word you say gets back to them. If a person is willing to sit and listen to badmouthing, they are willing to share it with everyone else, and that becomes part of your character to the whole staff.

Remember that "Go read the SOP" is only a fair answer if it's followed with "and I'll do your job for you while you read the SOP" because the staff with good work ethic will simply go ask someone else instead of making donors wait.

Somewhat unpleasant in certain situtations

Former Employee - Donor Processor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Donor Processor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Talecris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, quarterly bonuses,hours of operation, have the ability to do medical work with out certification.

Cons

Not having connections with the management staff to move up in the business, just to sum up in so many words.

Change, change, change, starts with yourself, then only you will run a successful business.

stressfree, sometimes boring, friendly atmosphere, not very organized company.

Current Employee - Engineer in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    excellent work life balance
    people eager to share knowlege.
    lateral movements possible.
    decent compensation package
    Stable
    job security
    Great hours

Cons

too much bureaucracy'
    alot of inefficiency due too much paperwork
    much older demographic
    Management not that great. too many shortcuts without spending money on long term vision
    not enough innovation
    not alot of growth opportunities

Streamline paperwork.
    reduce bureaucracy
    have better long term vision
    invest more in development and innovation
    retain talent and actively recruit new talent

It is a very good place to work and I am satisfied with my career

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

It is very rewarding to work for a company that is involved in the community and provides a product to critically ill patients. Pay and benefits are above average.

Cons

The transition to new ownership makes it hard to maintain job focus. Sometimes it appears that different departments are not treated fairly in comparison to each other.

We need to work hard during the integration to be honest and open to the new opportunities presented while maintaining our committment to the patients.

Job Security goes along way.

Current Employee - Senior Documentation Specialist in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Documentation Specialist in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

Job Security, Friendly, Professional growth opportunities,

Cons

Advancement opportunities are hard to come by. Employees stay at the company for a long time which provides little room for advancement.

Excellent Pay

Current Employee - Senior Financial Accountant in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Accountant in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

Excellent benefit/compensation. Energetic work environment.

Cons

Talecris Management Committee is incompetent. Sr. Management will work you to death for their own benefit.

Felt like an outsider because everybody who worked there went to High School together.

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

If you are in with the good ole boy network then you will have a wonderful experience. If not, your experience will be horrible. Not a good place for a Northerner or an outsider to work.

Cons

It is a managers place to work from a standpoint of HR. Company's HR policy is heavy favored for the manager and not the employee.

Get rid of the good ole boy network and get some talent in there. Make clayton a melting pot. The un-welcoming of outsiders will catch up eventually.

worked like a mule, center understaffed, no time to crosstrain or advance

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

experience, and flexibility with schedule

Cons

center staff is viewed as bottom dollar, work them harder and harder is the motto. was there 2.5 years and couldn't get cross trained because the center was always understaffed and trying to get as many donors though in as little amount of time that they could.

you center staff work darn hard and you need to recognize their efforts, stop looking at bottom dollars costs and give them opportunities

good place to start a career, but the company is always in the market for sale

Former Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Clayton, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Clayton, NC

I worked at Talecris

Pros

A good location in the matter of cost of living. Nice weather in North Carolina. Close to three very good universities.

Cons

Overstaffed in R&D, and too many layers in management. Communication is slow, and morale is low. People feel unsafe due the company is always on sale.

Working for Talecris has taught me a lot about plasma that I never knew about from being a donor.

Current Employee - Donor Processor/Phlebotomist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Donor Processor/Phlebotomist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Talecris

Pros

Excellent location, it's 1 mile from my home. I've never made a better hourly rate like this from previous jobs. The donors are like family at times, and since I started off as a donor back in March 2006 and converted to an employee in September 2006, there has been a lot to experience and learn from this company that can take me anywhere I want to go in the med field. Thanks for believing in me TPR.

Cons

The current management that is at BRLA isn't quite as friendly as the management team that worked there when I was hired. The center manager talks to us as if we're animals, barking orders, not even speaking in the morning when you speak to her. Of course she blames it from being in the military for so long. I wish there was no such thing as HPD(Hours Per Donor), it puts such a damper on our paychecks around tax season. We all understand that the company wants to make more money than pay us more around this time, but it just makes it not working from January - May.

Be nicer to your employees, we have feelings too and at times you act as if you don't care. But please be aware that Karma does exist.

Talecris Photos