Talend Reviews

Reset
4.2
Talend CEO Mike Tuchen
Mike Tuchen

Pros
  • Pretty great place to be, which is why I left the sure thing at New Relic (in 3 reviews)

• Interesting and Challenging work opportunities in several areas such as Data Integration, Big Data and Hadoop Integration, Data Quality and MDM (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work / life balance can be challenging (in 5 reviews)

• The company has grown very fast and has been challenged the related growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Market which is rapidly growing, with a new leadership team which is executing on the opportunity.

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Data is one of the fastest growing markets in technology, and Talend is poised to capture a significant portion of the market. The product is rock solid. The new management team is really trying to establish a growth culture, and seems to be doing all the right things. They are bringing in a bunch of talented folks at the operational management level.

Cons

The culture is still evolving as new management team establishes itself. They are really trying to make it a fun place to work. Snacks and weekly lunches are back.....yahoo.

Advice to Management

Keep the course. Management and culture change is an evolution not a revolution.

Apr 13, 2015Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for the love! :)

Confused leadership

I worked at Talend

Pros

Mostly flexible office working hours

Cons

Lack of communication
    Confused, bad management
    Dirty
    Geographically strewn
    Lack of team spirit

Jun 19, 2015CEO

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience at Talend. Good luck at your next company.

- Mike Tuchen, CEO

3. Exciting and always-on

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of work, opportunity to learn and apply

Cons

Not very streamlined like mature companies

Advice to Management

It is the people who make up a company.

May 19, 2015CEO

Thank you for your comments. I’m glad that you’re having a good experience here at Talend. I agree completely that people are by far the most important thing for our success today and tomorrow ... More

Not typical Silicon Valley Hi-tech company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new office and perks. Delight to work in. Some nice and capable people to work with. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management didn't have positive impact on the company, so that the culture is wired in transition period, a former European company with a CEO who came from east coast. There's no R&D in Silicon Valley and too much emphasis on Sales and Marketing, which make the long term outlook uncertain. Low employee retention rate.

Advice to Management

Connect and talk more frequently with your people about your outlook and actions. Care your people and boost morale.

May 19, 2015CEO

Thanks for your comments. As the CEO from the east coast (go Pats, good luck in the first 4 games this season without #12) I’m not sure I understand the comment about too much emphasis on sales ... More

A diluted start-up with confused leadership! It will do nothing for your career.

I worked at Talend full-time

Pros

They have a nice new office. Unfortunately, half the office space will be subleased to another company due to poor budgeting and or incoming revenue.

Cons

Newer technologies are coming to market and their lack of product innovation will inhibit their growth. More people are leaving than coming. Customer's are unhappy with the lack of support. Data is very poor so the leadership is blindly guiding the company. Treat people poorly and very political.

Advice to Management

Clear strategy and good culture will drive performance. Find it soon!

May 19, 2015CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t have a better experience here at Talend. Best of luck in your new company. Our business is actually exploding right now (+78% growth in Q1 for ... More

Great Products, Company is Growing, Culture could be better...

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Majority of people are friendly. They make working at Talend fun!
    - The reviews about the new management is true. Could be good or bad... however you want to spin it.
    - They are still very start-up ish in the sense they are trying to figure out what works and what does not. Sometime interesting to find out how to better improve process.

Cons

Culture. Plain and simple. The person they have in charge has everyone fooled that everything is under control. I work in the Redwood office, and can only speak for that location, and for the past 6 months, things have changed drastically and it all stems down to this person. This person has worked very closely to many of the dept heads for more of a political gain and support, rather than figuring how to maintain a happy, healthy environment. Speculations across the floor has everyone on edge about this person. HR manager left due to personality difference. The recruiting coordinator was let go to hire 2 friends in the Phillipines. And rather than resolving issues head on, like many other startups who expect executives to "wear multiple hats", issues are delegated to the office manager and payroll admin, all the while this is the definition to "triage".

Advice to Management

People want a product and leadership they can believe in and a harmonious place to work. If Talend's management does not live up to the standard or pedastool we once placed you at, that is of great disservice to all of the employees. I did not mind this in the beginning while people gossiped but when our new benefits are not being handled correctly due to poor management and willingness to "get your hands dirty", that's a problem. Let's put it this way - if the head of POPS were to leave, talend would still be able to manage because of the great people who are currently managing certain tasks. But if those people were to leave, this manager would be completely lost. Food for thought...

May 19, 2015CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that we made a couple mistakes last year, but as you know we've course corrected. I'm very excited about the team we have in place now.

Mike Tuchen, CEO

surprised to read about politics and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here several years and have seen a few changes. in particular the investment in culture and attention into people. this is not fair to attack the ones who especially care about employee's work environment. If you have to be personal, don't use an anonymous forum. tell it directly.

Cons

work hard everyday and repeat :-)

Advice to Management

you're doing the right things. keep going

May 19, 2015CEO

Thank you for your comments. I’m glad that you’re happy here at Talend. I completely agree with you that it’s far better to be direct and candid.

Mike Tuchen, CEO

Great times ahead for a phenomenal company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talend's time has come - great products, great partners, great customers. The company has gone through a tremendous amount of change the past two years but from someone who has experienced it first hand, I feel we now have the RIGHT leadership team in place across all organizations. Change is hard sometimes and there can be confusion but we are now poised to execute on all fronts starting with an amazing CEO, extremely competent Sales management team, and a strong HR organization (led by a very competent leader who BTW was personally instrumental in making this year's Quota club the best ever! - Thank you for all of the personal dedication and attention!)

Bottom line: Joining Talend would be one of the best decisions you could make.

Cons

There are still some infrastructure and processes which need to come up to speed as a result of so many changes (personnel thru applications) BUT these have been acknowledged and are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your internal resources and provide them with a focused career path which leverages their experience and knowledge of Talend.

Apr 13, 2015Talent Aquisition Manager

The time is now! :) thanks for the positivity...! :)

Confused C-level Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend

Pros

Product, people outside of senior management

Cons

Culture has eroded and is highly political especially since there is a huge problem with keeping any Senior Management for at least a year, it has become a revolving door and the employees feel like there is not room for growth if they keep getting a new boss every six months. Leadership is not desirable, it seems like a fake it till you make it team. The HR (oh excuse me I mean POPS AKA People Operations) has gotten considerably worse since they brought someone in to run it that is rude, entitled and inappropriate...seriously you invited yourself with no agenda to the Sales Quota Club that was extremely poor form. It used to feel like the employees were cared about but that is gone.

Advice to Management

Know what it is you want and stop making poor choices in hiring your senior management team it comes across to the employees that you are confused and don't know what you are doing, people have lost confidence and many are looking to go elsewhere. It is really sad because the product is amazing and the company can do amazing things but your leadership feels like you are playing games and since the Founders are gone the company is slowly losing it's purpose and meaning. I suggest you give us an outlet where we can feel comfortable sharing our feedback or we would not have to result in sharing it publicly here. Revamp your HR and bring the human aspect back in. Please put someone in charge that actually cares (not just order ikea furniture for an office that is mostly empty aka glorified interior designer).

May 19, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback. You were clearly frustrated when you wrote this note and for that I’m sorry. Change is often uncomfortable and stressful and we certainly experienced a number of shifts ... More

Not the great company it once was

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time

Pros

-New office and some great colleagues
    -Solid product
    -Flexible work schedule

Cons

-Lack of culture...trying to manufacture a hip silicon valley startup vibe when it isn't Talend's true identity.
    -Large amount of turnover - people have been leaving or getting let go left and right, and morale has plummeted because of this.
    -Compensation is not competitive with other tech companies in the area.
    -Catered lunches and snacks were taken away.

Advice to Management

Need performance feedback more than once per year. One year of work is an eternity in the bay area.

May 19, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry you your experience at Talend got worse as we went through a number of team changes last year. I agree with you and believe it’s critical to the company to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed