Talend Reviews

68 reviews filtered by
4.3
Talend CEO Mike Tuchen
Mike Tuchen

Pros
  • Pretty great place to be, which is why I left the sure thing at New Relic (in 3 reviews)

• Well run company that sells Big Data products (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long distance commutes affect the employees' work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Company having growing pains and business focus is unclear (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Market which is rapidly growing, with a new leadership team which is executing on the opportunity.

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Data is one of the fastest growing markets in technology, and Talend is poised to capture a significant portion of the market. The product is rock solid. The new management team is really trying to establish a growth culture, and seems to be doing all the right things. They are bringing in a bunch of talented folks at the operational management level.

Cons

The culture is still evolving as new management team establishes itself. They are really trying to make it a fun place to work. Snacks and weekly lunches are back.....yahoo.

Advice to Management

Keep the course. Management and culture change is an evolution not a revolution.

Talend Response

Apr 13, 2015Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for the love! :)

2. Exciting and always-on

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of work, opportunity to learn and apply

Cons

Not very streamlined like mature companies

Advice to Management

It is the people who make up a company.

Not typical Silicon Valley Hi-tech company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new office and perks. Delight to work in. Some nice and capable people to work with. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management didn't have positive impact on the company, so that the culture is wired in transition period, a former European company with a CEO who came from east coast. There's no R&D in Silicon Valley and too much emphasis on Sales and Marketing, which make the long term outlook uncertain. Low employee retention rate.

Advice to Management

Connect and talk more frequently with your people about your outlook and actions. Care your people and boost morale.

A diluted start-up with confused leadership! It will do nothing for your career.

I worked at Talend full-time

Pros

They have a nice new office. Unfortunately, half the office space will be subleased to another company due to poor budgeting and or incoming revenue.

Cons

Newer technologies are coming to market and their lack of product innovation will inhibit their growth. More people are leaving than coming. Customer's are unhappy with the lack of support. Data is very poor so the leadership is blindly guiding the company. Treat people poorly and very political.

Advice to Management

Clear strategy and good culture will drive performance. Find it soon!

Great Products, Company is Growing, Culture could be better...

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Majority of people are friendly. They make working at Talend fun!
    - The reviews about the new management is true. Could be good or bad... however you want to spin it.
    - They are still very start-up ish in the sense they are trying to figure out what works and what does not. Sometime interesting to find out how to better improve process.

Cons

Culture. Plain and simple. The person they have in charge has everyone fooled that everything is under control. I work in the Redwood office, and can only speak for that location, and for the past 6 months, things have changed drastically and it all stems down to this person. This person has worked very closely to many of the dept heads for more of a political gain and support, rather than figuring how to maintain a happy, healthy environment. Speculations across the floor has everyone on edge about this person. HR manager left due to personality difference. The recruiting coordinator was let go to hire 2 friends in the Phillipines. And rather than resolving issues head on, like many other startups who expect executives to "wear multiple hats", issues are delegated to the office manager and payroll admin, all the while this is the definition to "triage".

Advice to Management

People want a product and leadership they can believe in and a harmonious place to work. If Talend's management does not live up to the standard or pedastool we once placed you at, that is of great disservice to all of the employees. I did not mind this in the beginning while people gossiped but when our new benefits are not being handled correctly due to poor management and willingness to "get your hands dirty", that's a problem. Let's put it this way - if the head of POPS were to leave, talend would still be able to manage because of the great people who are currently managing certain tasks. But if those people were to leave, this manager would be completely lost. Food for thought...

surprised to read about politics and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here several years and have seen a few changes. in particular the investment in culture and attention into people. this is not fair to attack the ones who especially care about employee's work environment. If you have to be personal, don't use an anonymous forum. tell it directly.

Cons

work hard everyday and repeat :-)

Advice to Management

you're doing the right things. keep going

Great times ahead for a phenomenal company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Talend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talend's time has come - great products, great partners, great customers. The company has gone through a tremendous amount of change the past two years but from someone who has experienced it first hand, I feel we now have the RIGHT leadership team in place across all organizations. Change is hard sometimes and there can be confusion but we are now poised to execute on all fronts starting with an amazing CEO, extremely competent Sales management team, and a strong HR organization (led by a very competent leader who BTW was personally instrumental in making this year's Quota club the best ever! - Thank you for all of the personal dedication and attention!)

Bottom line: Joining Talend would be one of the best decisions you could make.

Cons

There are still some infrastructure and processes which need to come up to speed as a result of so many changes (personnel thru applications) BUT these have been acknowledged and are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your internal resources and provide them with a focused career path which leverages their experience and knowledge of Talend.

Talend Response

Apr 13, 2015Talent Aquisition Manager

The time is now! :) thanks for the positivity...! :)

Confused C-level Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend

Pros

Product, people outside of senior management

Cons

Culture has eroded and is highly political especially since there is a huge problem with keeping any Senior Management for at least a year, it has become a revolving door and the employees feel like there is not room for growth if they keep getting a new boss every six months. Leadership is not desirable, it seems like a fake it till you make it team. The HR (oh excuse me I mean POPS AKA People Operations) has gotten considerably worse since they brought someone in to run it that is rude, entitled and inappropriate...seriously you invited yourself with no agenda to the Sales Quota Club that was extremely poor form. It used to feel like the employees were cared about but that is gone.

Advice to Management

Know what it is you want and stop making poor choices in hiring your senior management team it comes across to the employees that you are confused and don't know what you are doing, people have lost confidence and many are looking to go elsewhere. It is really sad because the product is amazing and the company can do amazing things but your leadership feels like you are playing games and since the Founders are gone the company is slowly losing it's purpose and meaning. I suggest you give us an outlet where we can feel comfortable sharing our feedback or we would not have to result in sharing it publicly here. Revamp your HR and bring the human aspect back in. Please put someone in charge that actually cares (not just order ikea furniture for an office that is mostly empty aka glorified interior designer).

Not the great company it once was

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time

Pros

-New office and some great colleagues
    -Solid product
    -Flexible work schedule

Cons

-Lack of culture...trying to manufacture a hip silicon valley startup vibe when it isn't Talend's true identity.
    -Large amount of turnover - people have been leaving or getting let go left and right, and morale has plummeted because of this.
    -Compensation is not competitive with other tech companies in the area.
    -Catered lunches and snacks were taken away.

Advice to Management

Need performance feedback more than once per year. One year of work is an eternity in the bay area.

So far so good!

Current Employee - Senior Revenue Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Revenue Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Talend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people: The people here are friendly, inclusive and care about doing the right thing.
    The Technology: Interesting technology that is in the process of being adopted on a large scale.
    Communication: Open communication at all levels (as far as I've seen), including quarterly all hands, where people are encouraged (and always do) ask tough questions.
    Benefits: Excellent benefits which include all the standard benefits plus matching 401k (never had this at a private company before).

Cons

Culture: Not really a negative, but some issues. On the positive side as stated above, the people I work with on a daily basis are friendly and helpful. I've never gotten a "that's not my job" comment.

On the negative side I think the company still needs to find it's voice from a cultural perspective. The office in Redwood Shores has the look and feel of a SV start up, and as stated in numerous reviews there has been some back and forth on snacks and free lunches. The management has done a great job creating excellent benefits and an open work environment, but the SV start up vibe feels a little forced.

Advice to Management

Only been here 4 months, but from what I' ve seen they're doing an excellent job in the direction the company is going and how people are treated.