Talener Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
35 reviews filtered by
3.4
CEO

1. Great First Job, Great Career if you put the work in!

I have been working at Talener

Pros

2 Hour Lunches, Ton of Growth, Learning to build a business, great co-workers and fun office environment.

Cons

Job can be a little repetitive at times, and can be challenging when the ball doesn't bounce your way. That makes all the more enjoyable when you go through a run of success.

Keep doing what you're doing, not everyone is going to work out, and most of the people who wrote these posts couldn't hack it in a tough sales environment.

If you're a masochist, you'll love working at Talener

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talener full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's an entry level job and a good way to get experience coming out of college.

Cons

The hours are crazy long. Work starts at 8:00 AM and ends at 6:00 PM but you also have to do a ton of work outside business hours. A lot of time is spent on your own researching leads and deciding who to cold call everyday.

Sometimes businesses will come to Talener for help and then it's up to the managers to decide who on their team to pass the account to. The managers always pass the account to the people that aren't as good at business development and then they rely on the other sales people to break into new accounts for them. So If you develop strong business development skills you actually end up shooting yourself in the foot and making your job much harder.

The executives love the sound of their own voice and will hold meetings every morning just to hear themselves talk.

Directors have their idea of the perfect employee and if you don't fit that mold then there is no opportunity for advancement. Relationship Managers are often reprimanded for thinking outside the box and are then taken into the back conference room to have a "meeting" There is zero creativity in this job. Teams are run like it's the 90's.

It's the most micromanaged I've ever been. You can't go 10 minutes without someone asking what you're working on.

Talener is having trouble scaling because they failed to reward the employees that are good at business development. I've seen a lot of the talented sales people there go onto bigger and better things. It would also be beneficial to create a more positive environment.

3. Revolving door.

I worked at Talener

Pros

Enthusiastic, youthful crew
    2 hour lunches
    Money if you are a talented salesman/woman
    Fun happy hours/ work events

Cons

Extremely repetitive, monotonous, same thing every single day. Cold calling all day long and you don't use your brain. Hard to develop skills since your manager will be breathing down your neck/watching your every move. Upper management LOVES to hear themselves talk. Think they are sales gods. Underpaid and long hours where you do the same thing. A very small portion of the company stays for over a year - most people last about 6 months before they call it quits. Also, you have to source all the companies you are calling into, and doing a lot of networking on the side (aka, you leave work and will have to keep working!)

Stop micromanaging people. You recruit smart/overachieving kids - Give them some breathing room before they explode!

5. They actually care about people who work for them

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Talener (more than a year)

Pros

I did not do very well when I first started working at Talener. But, the CEO, VP, Director, and my Manager did not give up on me. Any time I asked one of them for help, they were available to grab lunch, a drink, or even just talk for a bit in the conference room about the things I was struggling with. I worked extremely hard but wasn't seeing this translate into a lot of production in terms of actual placements/deals. After a year it really started to "click" for me. Have I made a LOT of phone calls? Yes, and it's been pretty tough. But I can't imagine an entry level sales role where you aren't calling into companies and speaking with people whom you don't know... Additionally, it's 2015 and most people don't answer their desk lines, so you have to utilize creative ways to get in touch with decision makers.

I took the job at Talener because 1. I wanted to make good money 2. Be on a track to manage people. 3. Work in a fast paced team environment. In less than two years, I doubled my income and I manage a team of 4 people.

I feel very sorry for the people who go on Glassdoor and write hurtful things about their previous co-workers. The people at Talener have done a lot for me and I will continue doing the best I can to help new and current employees be successful.

Cons

Hiring mostly entry level staff is very challenging. They don't have much perspective and have a sense of entitlement.

6. Amazing office, amazing crew!

I have been working at Talener

Pros

I came to Talener and couldnt be happier with my decision (and Im not writing this because I was told to!!) Everyone is awesome, works hard and plays hard. There are amazing perks as well! To those who complained, clearly just didnt cut it for the relationship manager job. It is a lot of hard work. You have to have a lot of drive and passion for a sales job (not to mention being outgoing and friendly!) If you work hard and are committed, it definitely pays out. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement. My co-workers are awesome, my boss is awesome! If you are willing to work hard, you will do very well here! Dont believe the bad reviews, clearly a disgruntled person who left because they couldnt perform!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talener full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You meet some really good co-workers and you get to bond over how awful this place is to work at.

Cons

Most of the previous reviews are spot on. All the really good reviews with the "no cons they can think of" are cleary written by company executives. Low pay, limited commission. No work-life balance, treated like you're a robot, even told what gym you should go to. Employees dating other employees, sexual harassment issues. No employee is allowed to think for themselves, make 100's of calls a day to people. Company is stuck in the "old school approach". Funny thing the execs freak out when they see a negative review on here and will post a bunch of positives ones soon after to offset them.

Sell the company while you can before all your other offices are depleted.

I'm laughing at all the negative reviews, because they are so accurate. You know their senior team wrote the good ones.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Talener full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm no longer there. Made some good friends but some are sadly still stuck there.

Cons

Just read all the negative reviews posted here already, because I worked there, read them now and kept saying to myself "yep, yep, yep."

No need to write all my own cons because the previous contributors hit it spot on.

I could have 100% sued you guys for the things you said in that office. Hope you can turn it around, but like another review said- that might be like Michael Jordan trying to play hoops in a 7 foot room. That was funny.

9. A fun, challenging company where you have the opportunity to impact your salary and take control of your career!

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager

I have been working at Talener full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people here are the some of the most driven, hardworking, and passionate young adults you'll meet in the city. The environment is one that promotes success. The upper management is very clear about what you need to do to get a raise or promotion. They give great feedback on what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong, making it easy to improve and grow. Regardless of whether or not you end up with a career in recruiting, the communication skills and work ethic you develop here will be invaluable!

Cons

As a sales company, this is definitely a competitive environment. It can be stressful and the job entails a fair amount of ups and downs.

10. An great environment for a go-getter!

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Talener full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are a go-getter and want a job that has the potential to be a career, then working at Talener is an incredible opportunity. As an employee of Talener, I was told early on of 3 factors that have been proven to lead to happiness in a career. First, the work is stimulating and challenging. Second, I have the ability to help people. Lastly, I have a clear understanding that my effort directly correlates to my compensation. At Talener, I am able to accomplish all 3 of these keys to success. The job is not easy, but it is definitely rewarding and worth the hard work. The culture is also a great pro of Talener. It is definitely one of work hard, play hard which is awesome. Additionally, I am constantly surrounded by a group of young professionals that are driven and committed to bettering their future.

Cons

The one difficult part of the job is seeing friends leave. Given the intense sales environment, the job isn’t for everyone. Again it’s hard to see people leave, but at the same time it’s simply a part of the business.

Good first job. Poor career

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Talener full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They'll hire recent college graduates with no experience in sales who show enthusiasm and interview well. The skill set you develop is a well-rounded business skill set that can be attractive on a resume. The environment is upbeat and fun in the office. Two hour lunches three days a week with a subsidized gym membership. If you do really well early on, they're quick to promote people.

Cons

Long hours. Severe micromanagement of all employees (including management). Not a lot of room for freedom or creativity at the job. The work is fairly monotonous. The reason why this is a good first job and not a good career is that it can look attractive on a resume, but the work is too mindless for an intelligent person to feel like they've achieved something worthwhile at the end of the day.

Less micromanagement of all employees- allow for some freedom and creativity in the workplace. Focus more on marketing and meet-up groups- cold-calling is a dying art. Be more honest in interviews with perspective employees- tell them exactly what they can expect from this job without all the fluff and flash. Places like Talener can have a place in the business world, and these guys do have the potential to be a solid company.

Talener Photos