TalentWise

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015

TalentWise CEO Todd Owens
Todd Owens

High growth company with rewarding work and an excellent team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at TalentWise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Great career growth potential. They promote from within, whenever possible.
    2. Think outside the box mentality. No "it works do don't change it".
    3. Driven and intelligent coworkers. I can't think of a single slouch in the broader organization.
    4. Excellent management team with a focus on transparency. My boss, in particular, is very supportive with my career growth.
    5. A pre-IPO company with a long history of continued positive sales growth. The company is always hiring to fill new roles and not replace old ones.

Cons

1. HQ is in Bothell, which means a long commute from Seattle. There is, however, a Bellevue engineering office. I don't work in that team, so it doesn't impact me any.
    2. Pay is slightly below average. Perhaps it's because it's based in Bothell and they use North Puget Sound salaries as the benchmark.
    3. The company is growing incredibly fast, but with that comes growing pains. The review process and several systems (learning management) need some additional structure behind them. Nothing terrible, but areas for the company to work on.

DO NOT DRINK KOOL AID!!!

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Bothell, WA

I worked at TalentWise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee and all the soda you can muster drinking. Not to mention all the Ping Pong you could need if you were looking to get a paid to train for Professional Ping Pong Tournament. I never played myself but whoa - everyone else sure seems to think that is the priority everyday. But really, all there is to say about this place is a lot of horribly fake smiles and from people that don't even know why they are smiling and definitely do not know what they are doing. Frankly, the leadership is flat out worthless.

Cons

Cons: Leadership!!! Top to bottom. There is none worthy of following. Don't get me wrong, there are a few folks that are VERY smart and VERY talented. It is just unfortunate to watch the executive team actually NOT see what is really going on especially when so obvious, which in a nut shell is paying a couple of people that are very much not worth any more than a schmuck off the street who could just as easily smack a bunch of spaghetti on the wall, see what sticks and have that on the Monday report for your review. I felt very dirty working here. Dirty to the point I had to take a shower to wash the filth of the day at the office from me. It was not like that before. It is now.

Advice to management: you don't know what you don't know and you need to know.

Todd: Help Bruce find another company to work for. You won't be disappointed with that decision.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Bothell, WA

I worked at TalentWise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO is the best part of TalentWise. His transparency and vision of the company is inspiring. The company culture has also improved dramatically over the years.

Cons

- The sales strategy and marketing efforts need to be greatly examined before growth of the sales team should even be approached. The product does not have a clear voice in the software space and they continue to grow the sales team. They are constantly bringing on new account executives and setting them up for failure by putting them in less-desirable territories
    - You should apply to TalentWise if you enjoy the 100% grind of finding your own leads, being a true hunter, selling to fickle HR professionals, sales cycle as long as a year, and never hitting your unrealistic quota. Need more inbound/marketing efforts to help educate prospects. Not sure they are able to determine which campaigns work the best and are always changing their approach.
    - There are two sides of the sales organization: corporate and enterprise sales. Corporate is inside and concentrates on the mid-market level. Enterprise is outside and goes after the larger companies. Somehow, both departments are under the same umbrella of expectations (same exact quota.) I think that comes from the head of both departments.

- Invest in proper training of the sales team. Yes, sales is a "get after it on your own" role, but throwing a new rep onto the floor with low support wont create a successful career path. Maybe hire somebody who actually has a selling background to lead the program, or take the most successful reps and have them role play with the new account execs.
    - Work space is very dull. They need more natural elements and different lighting options. The fluorescent lighting drains the energy out of you and causes headaches. That place screams "Office Space" environment with the cubicles. I think an open floor plan would create more collaboration and buzz on the sales floor. It is super quiet and reminds me a lot of a library.
    - Sales management needs to keep investing in business intelligence. That is the key to any long-term success you will have at this company. They are finally listening to their reps and i hope they continue to make the investments. Also, set realistic quotas for corporate sales. Fully ramped quotas are no way attainable and it needs to be changed if you want to keep your best performing account execs.

Worst company you will ever work for. Stay far far away!

I have been working at TalentWise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee.

Cons

Employee morale is terrible. Everyone is leaving this company. It's funny how managers are writing positive reviews and spinning it like there is not a problem here. These reviews get sent out to all the managers by HR and they are trying to save their image. If you decide to work here, good luck!! They treat you like a number in all departments and walk all over you. Pay is horrible for the amount of work you do. They have lied and deceived the entire workforce and laid off great quality workers.

treat people with respect. Don't lie to your workforce about plans for the future. You look dumb.

Keep your sanity and stay away. I am a current client services rep. I've been with the company a few years now.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Bothell, WA

I have been working at TalentWise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks. Good health benefits if your single. Pizza parties every now and again to keep you happy temporarily. Company has a raffle once a year.

Cons

Very poor hourly wage for expected knowledge and production level. We are basically HR reps that get paid like an assistant manager at McDonald's. No job security, company has been shipping jobs to their new office in Virginia, constant fear we could be next. They originally told employees they were opening a new office to expand, then our friends got laid off. Company has turned from valuing their employees to treating them like numbers. No customer uniformity so get ready to look through a database of client notes while you struggle to stall an already unhappy client on the phone. Claims to be a technology company, technology constantly doesn't work. It's nice that the company has paid time off until you realize your sick time is included in that. Have a scheduled vacation? Better not get sick! It's sad because this company used to be great, we used to have town hall meetings where the President and Vice President of the company would come and talk to us every quarter. But now they don't want to answer to all the mistreatment that's taken place so they no longer meet with all of us. Do yourself a favor and stay away, your sanity and stress levels will thank you later.

Pay your employees what they deserve. Regardless of the claims, the pay is not competitive. Seperate sick time and vacation time. A free pizza party won't fix employee morale. You need to treat us like we matter and be upfront and honest. Hopefully things will change soon because your employees you say you want to keep are all looking for new jobs...

TalentWise Response

Feb 10, 2015VP, Customer Success

When it comes to Client Services (CLS) at TalentWise, I strongly believe that our best days are still ahead of us. With the split between CLS and Verifications/Operations, our CLS team is now ... More

They really don't care about their workers.

Former Employee - Client Service Representative
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative

I worked at TalentWise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Great Benefits. Free drinks.

Cons

When I first started with Talentwise I was excited to be there. The environment was great, I loved the people I worked with and the way the company was run. As soon as they split client services into two departments everything went down hill.

Morale went to an all time low. People started to hate working there and it's because we were no longer a team. Imagine a triangle where the top is management and the bottom is us. It used to feel like an upside down triangle where we were the top and management helped us. Once they decided they didn't need us anymore they felt like they could work us like dogs. They set unrealistic expectations without actually doing the work. When we tried to explain to them how quickly things could go astray they wouldn't budge at all. They made excuse after excuse for their decisions instead of listening to the people who were in the call center doing the work.

Then when someone didn't meet the unrealistic expectations for productivity they got fired even if their quality was perfect. They became a numbers company instead of a company where the quality of the work we are doing for customers mattered. People deserve better than to become a number, they deserve to be treated with respect and Talentwise didn't give us that respect. Nor did they give the clients the respect they deserved.

Stop getting rid of people that put out good work. The amount shouldn't matter. If you force people to work fast instead of taking their time to get it right then you will get a bunch of errors and lose business. The clients make your business, you lose them, you don't have a business.

Also, stop hiring people just because you worked with them at a different company. The people you have brought into management are destroying the company.

TalentWise Response

Feb 10, 2015VP, Customer Success

Change is inevitable for a rapidly-growing company, and it’s also inevitable that not everyone will agree with the change. Separating operations from customer service was a necessary step in our ... More

Corporate sales has its up and downs

I have been working at TalentWise

Pros

Great working relationships and friendly CEO. Always feel welcomed and respected. The benefits are hard to beat.

Cons

Corporate sales has been giving a pretty bad reputation lately and it's been understandable. We have experience a change in products and vision which has not aligned with many of the account executives. Team leaders along with tenure employees have left the company and has set off a chain reaction. On the flip side, I can see what they are trying to accomplish but with change, comes a tough situation because we must sell the product. Some have benefited from past small market success which carried over and some have to resort to strictly cold calling. For newly employed executives, it's difficult to land deals early because the sales cycle is generally 3-6 months. Some will make it but most will fail. One of the hardest parts is getting into a territory that is good. If you get a bad territory, it can be difficult to get off the ground.

We need more training to win deals. The lack of training and support is difficult to overcome dealing with a large firm. Management needs to become professionals so we can lean on them. Also, I would like to see them invest more into marketing to help support the sales team. When we rely solely on cold calling and cold emailing to generate business, it's difficult to reach the already unrealistic quota.

Growth, Growth, Growth!

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Bothell, WA

I have been working at TalentWise

Pros

Great pay, fantastic residual commission structures, unique industry niche leading position and fantastic benefits.

Cons

Lack of training for in-depth sales training and Background industry knowledge for new sales positions.

TalentWise: Growing and Going Strong

Current Employee - Software Engineering
    Current Employee - Software Engineering

I have been working at TalentWise

Pros

From a software development standpoint, the work environment is very laid back. My fellow developers are passionate about coding and doing the job right. The company as a whole seems to treat their employees very well.
    The software management seems to be doing better today than it was described in the past. They are involved with your work when they need to be and trust you to get the job done right.
    There are year end bonuses depending upon job performance.

Cons

It's currently a growing company and with that comes some growing pains. But they are doing a good job overall and giving employees a chance to voice their opinions on how to handle changes in the process.

I am living proof of the endless potential in Corp. Sales at TalentWise; earnings and career advancement are limitless!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bothell, WA

I have been working at TalentWise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I challenge you to find a company with better culture, growth or compensation potential.

The executives all have an open door policy and make every employee feel at home because they ACTUALLY care and know most, if not every employee by name.

As one of the first hundred or so employee's at TalentWise, I have personally seen this company grow from $25 Million in Revenue with 120 employees, to $50 + Million in Revenue with close to 400 employees; suffice to say, it's been one heck of a ride.

As a current employee in Corporate Sales, I have gotten to where I am by partially by skills but primarily by hard work. I've been in every role starting from MDR (which I did for almost a year) working my way up into a Senior Mid-Market role in just 3 years and also doubling my earnings to make 6 figures at the age of 25...

With that said, even if the aforementioned reasons weren't as fruitful as they actually are, TalentWise has molded me into a better person which is invaluable and something I sincerely appreciate. While it may sound cliche, to me this is the most important characteristic a company could ever have.

Cons

With hyper growth there are always going to be inerrant problems which are sometimes hard to overcome. I have seen people come, and seen people go and the biggest challenge I had was distancing myself from "group think". When people know they aren't where they need to be in terms of work ethic or skills, they voice their "dirty laundry" and can bring others down; but long story short, because of the close proximity in which we work it's sometimes difficult to block out the naysayers.

Additionally, growth is difficult and it's been a challenge sometimes getting all teams ranging from sales, marketing, finance, operations, support all on the same page. As a result there have been challenges and will continue to be challenges (i.e. verification fiasco) but every hiccup has been, and will continue to be resolved.

The one idea that might be fun is to have a company contest like we at the Inome Christmas party 2 years back where employees made suggestions on process/product improvements and the winner received a substantial check for 50k for coming up with the best idea.

Other than that, I'd say just keep the same trajectory!