Talisman Energy

Talisman Energy Reviews in Canada

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Talisman Energy President & CEO Hal Kvisle

Hal Kvisle

Pros
  • great people who are willing to help(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits and good salaries(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover whether it is with staff switching roles or just quitting(in 6 reviews)

• Senior management would have been better off having a session with Dr(in 5 reviews)

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Gained great experience as an engineering coop student at Talisman Energy

Student (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood locations, working environment and supportive colleagues.

ConsFast employee churn rates, lower morale than other companies.

Experienced mid-level managment

ProsGenerous vacation & flex day policy. I've been here long enough that the total compensation is good.
    If you are just starting out there can be lot's of challenges and learning opportunities.

ConsWe keep selling assets, therefore fewer career opportunities. It seems that the few opportunities that do come up they are rarely posted and the few times they are posted, the successful candidate is pre-determined. Significant staff turn-over at all levels - this is hurting the company.
    The LTIP program for senior employess is worth nothing - the company has made changes the last couple of years to bring value back to the program - they fail to recognize that the previous 8 years of LTIP is worth nothing and that other companies are willing to off-set that to recruit senior people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead and follow the company values - they're quite good! I find that the lack of fair and open career opportunities very disappointing - you need to address the favoritism & nepotism.The turn-over post- April 1st has been very high - more has to be done to retain people.

Fast paced, interesting work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTalisman is getting back on track. I'm hopeful and excited about the future. There's lots to do, plenty of opportunity to shape the future.

ConsA high energy environment that employees need to manage for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and moving to great!

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLots of opportunity. People are busy, engaged and excited about the changes. Leaders are optimistic, energetic and share this openly with their teams.

ConsSometimes not what you know but who you know. Some infighting on teams as people are jockeying for positions with the changes. Can be unpleasant

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to Hal! Give more women leadership roles. Place greater emphasis to live your corp values and hire qualified candidates instead of somebody's friend who isn't really qualified

Trying to be too big a fish

Engineer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood culture, respectful and professional work environment, had a number of interesting opportunities there to do completely different things.

ConsContinual reorganization at the lower ranks while the people who got the company in the mess it is currently in remain

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending to be a super major and act your size. Take some accountability for your decisions.

More negatives than positives

ProsFlexibility to be a part of different projects in various capacities. Good pay and benefits

ConsNo clear growth path. People happy staying in one position for many years. If you want to grow and climb the corporate ladder, not the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more importance to growth and leadership at a lower level and value employees more

Worst company I've ever worked for in my career

Performance Improvement (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood and caring co-workers that want to do a good job

ConsManagement that does not value people and no leadership with large gaps in communication, direction and understanding of how to walk the talk. Lack of trust, no future, lip service, and treat people as an expense. Very silo organization with fake speeches, fear for job, uncertainly and many people leaving to seek a better future. There values / principles is just a paper on a wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell company; it might have a future in someone else's hands. Also, stop giving yourself millions of dollars in salary + bonus for very poor performance.

The only oil company poorly run by HR & Legal!

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsIf you are always smiling & positive but have no competencies , you could be a fast tracket at Talisman

ConsNo accountabilities there, lip service is a rule, total disrespect and racism against individual. Too many country leaders with no operational experience nor emergency response leadership in country like Kurdistan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Colombia.........

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting leading according to the cores values, stop pretending!

Painful but turning around

Completions Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexibility and freedom. A lot of young staff to push around.

ConsPrevious management was very poor

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management is doing a great job. Keep it up!

company in sell, sell, sell, mode

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPeople were really nice and easy to work with

ConsPeople were so business trying to cover there ass that the day to day work was never completed on required schedule. Low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure leaders get more in touch with the people working for them.

Worked for Talisman Energy? Contribute to the Community!