Talisman Energy

Talisman Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Talisman Energy President & CEO Hal Kvisle

Hal Kvisle

Pros
  • great people who are willing to help(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits and good salaries(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover whether it is with staff switching roles or just quitting(in 6 reviews)

• Senior management would have been better off having a session with Dr(in 5 reviews)

More negatives than positives

ProsFlexibility to be a part of different projects in various capacities. Good pay and benefits

ConsNo clear growth path. People happy staying in one position for many years. If you want to grow and climb the corporate ladder, not the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more importance to growth and leadership at a lower level and value employees more

Worst company I've ever worked for in my career

Performance Improvement (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood and caring co-workers that want to do a good job

ConsManagement that does not value people and no leadership with large gaps in communication, direction and understanding of how to walk the talk. Lack of trust, no future, lip service, and treat people as an expense. Very silo organization with fake speeches, fear for job, uncertainly and many people leaving to seek a better future. There values / principles is just a paper on a wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell company; it might have a future in someone else's hands. Also, stop giving yourself millions of dollars in salary + bonus for very poor performance.

The only oil company poorly run by HR & Legal!

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsIf you are always smiling & positive but have no competencies , you could be a fast tracket at Talisman

ConsNo accountabilities there, lip service is a rule, total disrespect and racism against individual. Too many country leaders with no operational experience nor emergency response leadership in country like Kurdistan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Colombia.........

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting leading according to the cores values, stop pretending!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painful but turning around

Completions Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexibility and freedom. A lot of young staff to push around.

ConsPrevious management was very poor

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management is doing a great job. Keep it up!

company in sell, sell, sell, mode

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPeople were really nice and easy to work with

ConsPeople were so business trying to cover there ass that the day to day work was never completed on required schedule. Low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure leaders get more in touch with the people working for them.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosa very good environment. all workers are very helpful

ConsI am just an intern. So many things need to be learn.

Accounting Student

Accounting Student (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPeople were really nice, and compensation was good.

ConsThey did not hire many interns into full-time.

Alot of lip service and town hall raw raws but all a smoke screen

Pipedesk (Former Employee)

ProsGood working conditions Easy access to downtown resturants.

ConsManagement has no direction . VP 's give you a vote of confidence and security and the next week you are being downsized.
    Supply chain a mess , no direction . Tried to figure out what two guys down the hall did and no one could tell us.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO dismantling the company for a quick sale , he did it with trans canada . Now Here .
    NO direction and no one really knows what is lying ahead for anyone.
    Everyone is sitting at the edge of their seats.

Fortunate to have received development opportunities

(Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTalisman has provided me with a lot of development opportunites, including an expatriate assignment and ability to work in various roles. Although many people have come and gone, there are still a lot of smart, fun and technically strong people here.

ConsToo much inconsistency with senior management from actual people changes to leadership and values modelling.
    Highly complex structure and inconsistency in approaches.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure leaders walk the walk and talk the talk and provide more clarity about accountabilities for the given structure (e.g. regional versus central)

Use to be a good company, not anymore

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood benefits and good salaries

ConsLow morale, employees feel undervalued, some employees are working overtime everyday while other employees have nothing to do, a lot of layoffs over the past year

Worked for Talisman Energy? Contribute to the Community!