Talisman Energy

Talisman Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Talisman Energy President & CEO Hal Kvisle

Hal Kvisle

Pros
  • great people who are willing to help(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits and good salaries(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover whether it is with staff switching roles or just quitting(in 6 reviews)

• Senior management would have been better off having a session with Dr(in 5 reviews)

Great company, a little bit too bureaucratic sometimes.

Wellsite Geologist (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsBig company with global activities.

ConsMaybe the chain of command can be annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo listen to people with experience when is required.

Fun and exciting company to work for. IT making a real difference to operational efficiency and safety.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Brisbane (Australia)

ProsProfessionalism, global teams are helpful and welcoming. Exposure to very remote operations, with real challenges, and grateful people. Technology is very much an enabler, and not something that is ever forgotten about.

ConsNone - I'd work there again!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllowing the global network team leads to travel to remote office is a real boost to productivity and really helps the more remote teams feel more engaged.

Really enjoying my position at Talisman. Great place to be.

Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood people - all trying to do great things. I work on a good team, but everyone I've met in the company is great.

ConsLots of work to do (that can be fun) - but direction can shift too often. Lets try to stay the course and invest in the future.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep communicating! Town halls are good but perhaps you could do some smaller informal gathering - come to a floor from time to time and say hi - like Helen did when she was recruiting for the big bike - that was AWESOME!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Actions speak louder than words

Commercial Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSome very smart, motivated people. Senior management understands what needs to be done, in theory anyway. Appears to be international experience if you are good enough. Senior management very open to coffees and informal discussions with young employees.

ConsWhile senior management may understand what's important theoretically, the company suffers extreme implementation difficulty. Long term incentives not worth much. While senior management does listen to employees, they don't really change anything. Middle management is generally awful. All management seems to want to build mini empires rather than be a good overall company.Training budgets are there, but little guidance, which is good and bad. Overall, the company is a hodge podge of different approaches, assets, and business practices. It really needs to pick something it wants to be good at and go for it. Wholesale change is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick something, anything really, to be good at and go for it

Not terrible but not great either

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalisman pays quite well in most locations and seems to provide international opportunities to those they see as management material. My colleagues were great to work with, and most employees are.

ConsLots of micro management and seemed to be a fear of senior leadership and blame if targets aren't met, etc. managers don't seem to trust employees to do the work they were hired to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people and let them be accountable instead of just responsible for the negative.

I love being able to help reshape this company back to greatness!!!!

Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTons of opportunity to build an amazing career.
    Committed, straight talking senior leadership.
    Lean but balanced operating mentality.
    Awesome culture of lets cut through the old processes and clutter and make it happen quicker.
    Excellent compensation.
    Prestige office locations.

ConsInternal confusion and redundancies resulting from the shift from a global to a more regionalized firm.
    The overarching spectre of company breakup or major asset sales.
    Stock at a low value.
    Very busy work environment with more projects than can be handled in the short term.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Keep communicating with your people.

The worst company to work; does not value people

Supervisor (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFront-line employees and some Managers did think right. Use to have a continuous improvement efforts, but got rid of at effort when everything went up for sale; very short-term thinking.

ConsLack of leadership (CEO, EVP, SVP, VP levels)), lack of respect of people and does not value people's efforts or consider them an assets. No alignment among and between functions, and an opt-out culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people on the bus; value, respect and empower people. Get rid of the CEO, EVPs, SVPs and VPs)

Highly dysfunctional as a result of recent former CEO who was finally shown the curb.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsWas once a great place to work; now a prime candidate for take-over and liquidation of assets.

ConsSr Mgrs (especially in HSE) tell lies and misrepresent the thruth to their bosses which in turn perpetuate these lies all the way up to the genius EVPs and the CEO.
    HR is a nest of vipers; stay clear of the tarted up treacle they serve you with a smile - it's poisonous / hazardous to your health.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the lot - it's the only way shareholders will recoup their investment.

Good company - tough market to compete for labour in Calgary

ProsFaster pace than local competition

ConsStrategy has changed 4-5 times in the last 4-5 years

Experience working in Malaysian subsidiary - not what it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsLocation of office - very central, next to train station and surrounded by shops and services.
    Great benefits for permanent full-time staff - e.g. includes dental when most companies don't.
    Good regional support.
    Accessible relationships and consistent communication with head office in Calgary.

ConsParking is a nightmare in the Citibank building with few decent options nearby.
    Divide between local staff and expatriates.
    Imbalance in diversity of local staff leading to an almost government/small company atmosphere instead of the large multinational that it is.
    Salary is decent but still slightly below market value.
    Zero career opportunities.

Most important - terrible leadership. Four country managers in as many years. The most recent leadership was erratic, inconsistent, unethical and sadly ran the company with a "bully" mentality.
    - company was run like a small business in a lower income developing nation, and staff were treated accordingly (exacerbating the local/expat divide).
    - recent higher than normal turnover rate of staff across different disciplines as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the most senior management completely (local office, not regional). It had become a place you didn't want to wake up and get ready to spend an entire day at. The atmosphere of fear bred not only insecurity and discontent but resentment and lack of motivation. It became a different company from the one I initially joined.

Worked for Talisman Energy? Contribute to the Community!