Talisman Energy Reviews

Reset
4.0
Talisman Energy President & CEO Hal Kvisle
Hal Kvisle

Pros
  • I have worked with many great people here, very few in management positions though (in 8 reviews)

• would provide good benefits & salaries (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management made some bad calls and had some bad luck (gas prices) that left the company in a poor position (in 6 reviews)

• There is talk of work-life balance, but no real actions to support it (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good Company to work for but be patient

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Good compensation Good work / life balance Good people Good reputation

Cons

It takes a long time to get things done, no sense of urgency No global policies or governance

Advice to Management

Put in policies and goverance to help shape employee behaviour Hold people accountable to timelines.

2. The best company in my life

Pros

company culture is superb! Respect people in differnt background.Great boss,great manager, very good work life balance.

Cons

Not the right time for a company-when it has huge shale gas land. thr problem is there were so many smart ceos who knew shale gas would be predominant supply in the future.

3. great environment and people

I worked at Talisman Energy full-time

Pros

Very good benefits, really nice and intelligent people around. Great opportunity to learn from different areas of the business

Cons

Sometimes very burocratic, long work hours, working in weekends was common. Lack of clear stables he'd processes for the units they have in oth en countries

Advice to Management

Great place to work, however more alignment between areas and leaders would be beneficial for both company and employees. Keep an eye on employees work life balance

5. senior pdms piping designer

Current Employee - Senior Pdms Piping Designer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Senior Pdms Piping Designer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

I have seen which company had been making big mistake and in Norway I check all the drawings and material they had used it is a shame that such big engineering offices can delevired such job. And I recommanded to start a new job with pdms you have a very good basic to start a job. And it will be ending as a new good job.

Cons

Start a job you need at least for piping designer they have more than three years job experience to involve on the job and you cannot give them responsebality of a part of the job.you need to know what you are doing to consider some stress and supporting location and to be a team player with other department as process,mexhanical electrical structere etc..

Advice to Management

Everytime the management have to know how the progress is. this have to be done by weekly modelreview and the working progress must every week updateted.

6. I would work there again

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

- The compensation is higher than most places I've worked. - The coffee is Kuerig, and free in abundance, along with Iced Coffee machines - Being located in the heart of downtown, Bankers Hall comes with it's own perks

Cons

- No Flex Fridays - The policies don't always make sense - Currently going through a REPSOL transition, makes the place unstable for now

Advice to Management

Keep your doors open, and and your ears wide to the sounds of the front line. The ones who have, I will remember you always and how much you made the whole experience so much better.

7. Good

Pros

International work, opportunities, interesting work

Cons

Not a good time for the company right now

Advice to Management

...

8. Engineering Co-op student

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Co-op student the pay was very good

Cons

They hardly make contract staff full time from what I heard

9. Nice place to work

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, disagreements handled quickly and out in the open. Good group of managers working to embrace strategies

Cons

Slow to make decisions which are then reactive. Some groups disorganized, no communication resulting in duplication of efforts.

Advice to Management

Hal is leading the way - employees need to trust this.

10. I like my job, the company is okay

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work outside of Canada so I do not have much experience with other Canadian companies, but I really like our company's culture. It is a flat organization, relaxed and with a great work-life balance. Most international colleagues I work with are very nice and polite. I enjoy coming to work every day because I like what I do. It is challenging but fun. There are lots of things to learn. And I used to work more and get paid less in the past, so how can I complain about Talisman?

Cons

Talisman cannot offer a long-term career. The possibility of growth is limited depending on the function, unless one is willing to relocate to Canada where the HQ is. There are assets being sold, and there is an uncertainty about the future due to a possibility of a take-over. But I knew this when I took the job, so it does not bother me as life is unpredictable.

Advice to Management

We are pressured to cut down on G&A and reduce costs even such, for example, as personal development for staff, but then the management continues travelling extensively internationally, including the first class. How does it make sense? Is the first class really necessary for each flight above 6 hours? Furthermore, the company spends ridiculous amounts on extensive expat contracts and related significant costs and benefits for their managers. Is it really necessary in developed countries where a local work force is available?

11. Fulfilling experience

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talisman is now more willing to hear out their employees and change for the better. Improvements are starting to be seen.

Cons

Used to have serious leadership, directional and financial issues. Now, Talisman has progressively addressed these.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to work to improve the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed