www.talisman-energy.com
Employer Engaged

Still going through change - hoping new CEO will improve culture

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are opportunties to lead and show what you can do.

Cons

Management seems loathe to do anything other than keep the lights on until new CEO arrives and more asset dispositions are completed.

Build a new culture to attract and retain top staff.

Not a great place to work anymore

I worked at Talisman Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees kept trying to make the best of a sinking ship. Vacation and flex days were great.

Cons

Constant changes in management and selling of assets created so much stress and uncertainty. Instead of teamwork, it became every one for themselves! I didn't like having to have Talisman stock when it keeps going down and becoming useless.

Slow in the summer, not in a role to make decisions (a supportive, fetch information role), great co-workers

I have been working at Talisman Energy part-time

Pros

Great co-workers to network with
    Not micromanaged
    Travel opps to international offices
    Nice office

Cons

Slow work, cyclical
    Going through mgmt change, difficulties/uncertainties
    Not challenging

Used to be great but not so much anymore

Former Intern - Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Nice office environment/amenities with desirable downtown location
    Slurpee and iced capp machine in the employee lounge
    Free food from meetings, lunch and learns, town halls
    Decent pay
    Knowledgeable and experienced co-workers
    Flex days and Christmas week off
    Fun Stampede and Christmas parties
    Likely to extend student terms if you are competent and they like you

Cons

Many of the best employees left in 2012 and 2013 during the downturn and layoffs
    Corporate takeover target = low morale, job instability
    Company lacks focus and discipline, which is what got it into the mess it's in today
    Stock price has gone nowhere and underperformed it's peers over the last 2 years
    Assets in the UK are dragging the whole company down
    A lot of people only pretend to be busy
    Hires students to do menial work with no long term plan to keep them as a permanent employee

Now that you've pared down the balance sheet, focus on operational efficiency and smart strategic growth to benefit investors and secure a future for the company as an independent
    Cut down on useless meetings and time wasters (safety moments in the head office on irrelevant topics)
    Stop spending money like you are a super major
    There are still some good employees left, be open and honest with them and don't treat them like they are disposable - contractors/external hires cost a lot more money and have no loyalty
    Get rid of employees that aren't adding value

The incoming CEO that replaces Hal will define Talisman's future as a success or failure, so don't mess it up!

Summer Student Experience

Former Intern - Summer Student
    Former Intern - Summer Student

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had real work and responsibilities as a student intern; was respected and trusted. Everyone I worked with or spoke with at the company added to my experience and provided a useful piece in my learning / work experience!

I was impressed with the level of expertise and number of senior level specialists employed at the company, whom I was fortunate to work with and learn from during my summer with Talisman.

I would work here again.

Cons

The hierarchical structure is a nightmare! I have worked at several medium to large companies and the corporate structure at Talisman is quite deep and counter-intuitive; hard to find the “right” people to talk to when working on projects or problem solving.

The management and company structure seems a bit inefficient. There are many "managers" and VPs, more than I have ever seen at another similar sized company.

Toxic cesspool of incompetent posers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of one. Not one.

Cons

Perhaps with a new CEO they can turn the ship around. Wait and see before you consider spending any time at this company.

Clean house. The Emperor and his merry men are on in fact wearing new clothes

Terribly disappointing

Current Employee - Geoscientist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Geoscientist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They pay you..............almost comparably to other companies. The training quality and quantity depends on which part of the company you work in. I have received reasonably good training, but know others who have received very little. I have worked with many great people here, very few in management positions though. And those that were are no longer with the company.

Cons

Company is run by a group of incompetent executives that are simply waiting to cash in on a take over. Long term incentives are non existent which is why approximately 80% of the company employees have been there less than 4 years. Executives are all incredibly over paid, their salaries are in no way tied to performance as you can see from share price performance. Company has something like 70 to 80 executives, roughly the same number of geoscience staff. Corporate structure looks like an upside down triangle. Management expects staff to pinch every penny twice, while they freely throw money around on excessive and lavish travel and executive retreats to Banff. If shareholders were privy to the spending habits that go on they would be appalled. No career development opportunities as a geoscientist. Benefits are so bad you are better off opting out completely. There is a savings plan, however it involves putting some of your own money into Company stock that continues to underperform related to many of the things mentioned herein. So buy at $12 and sell at $10 is great if you need to write off capital gains, but not so great if you hope to make any money from it. The current management is grossly incompetent, and breeds further incompetence by promoting people that..........well lets just say they promote the real go getters (polite for backside kissers). Truly a relic attitude from all the ex-BP execs. This has created a culture that encourages entitled behaviour and breeds arrogant and incompetent leaders that very quickly climb the corporate ladder. Five rounds of layoffs in five years have obliterated technical staff head counts, however, the executive head count hasn't declined.

None, they know all of this and choose to ignore it. A huge number of employees have told them this at exit interviews and HR just pass it off as a disgruntled employees. I would say I am disappointed, when I began it was the best place to work in town, now it's not even a shadow of it's former self. I have stayed with the hope of resurrecting the company to it's former glory, but this is not going to happen. The CEO has long ago announced his exit at the end of 2014 and quite clearly doesn't care what goes on now. A clear corporate strategy has been identified but no one follows it, and there are no consequences for it.

Need to get it together

Current Intern - Engineering Co-op Student in Edson, AB (Canada)
    Current Intern - Engineering Co-op Student in Edson, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Talisman Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people in the field offices are fantastic. Easy to get along with, friendly, and very helpful.

Cons

Constant changes in management and constant asset sales are worrysome. Every few weeks there is a major change in the upper management and thus in the organizational structure. The company doesn't really have it together from an upper management point of view.

Gained great experience as an engineering coop student at Talisman Energy

Former Intern - Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good locations, working environment and supportive colleagues.

Cons

Fast employee churn rates, lower morale than other companies.

Fast paced, interesting work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talisman is getting back on track. I'm hopeful and excited about the future. There's lots to do, plenty of opportunity to shape the future.

Cons

A high energy environment that employees need to manage for themselves.

Stay the course.

Talisman Energy Photos

Talisman Student Clan - Summer 2014
We build great teams wherever we work.

+ Add Photo