Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.6

G. Mark O'Bryant

This job was challenging in the best way. I was always driven towards improving myself and my capability.

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Pros

I got to work with a wide variety of people, both patients and staff, and learned as much about myself as the people I worked with.

Cons

Occasionally difficult to plan

Try to schedule meetings and employee discussions at times that aren't immediately

Be careful who you confide in...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked my schedule, the benefits, and the cafeteria (sad I know).

Cons

Pay, Management, Unable to use time off without several months of notice, Brown Nosing, Gossip

Leave your personal feelings and business outside of the workplace and encourage employees to do the same. Also stop using favoritism and overlooking quality employees.

Good place to work

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

FTE dedicated to colleague wellness with a huge variety of programs for wellness. My boss is excellent.

Cons

The hospital is dirty, parking is a huge issue.

Please dedicate needed resources to get the disgustingly dirty cafeteria cleaned up...nevermind the stairwells and the rest of the hospital!!

It was a good learning experience.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Pros

friendly environment, friendly-employees, there is a lot to learn(different areas)

Cons

didn't have enough tasks for interns

add rotations so that each intern can get a turn to learn something different.

Good benefits, only yearly opportunity for raise, which is hospital wide as long as you meet criteria.

Current Employee - Monitor Technician in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Monitor Technician in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health, dental, vision benefits. Nice gym membership discount. Generally nice co-workers. Employee events and activities. Good team atmosphere, close knit in individual unit.

Cons

The infighting between units is awful, everyone thinks everyone else duties are easy and can be rude and pushy when it comes to coordinating. Raises only occur if you change positions/levels, and annual raise for employees who receive certain scores on evaluations. Last year the hospital built a new ER and my holiday bonus was $59, the year before it was almost $1000.

Pick your battles and don't be petty about stuff that really has no effect on performance or appearance.

CNA @ Hospital Review

Current Employee - CNA in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - CNA in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It provide experience in the healthcare field showing the ins and outs of working on the hospital floor at the bottom of the totem pole in regards to status. Being a CNA is the least paid healthcare position who basically does the dirty work when dealing with hospital patients. The cons of this experience is being able to learn about the basics of healthcare and being around valuable information. I can say I've learned a lot from being exposed to different health situation.

Cons

The lack of pay is certainly a con. Having to deal with sick and elder patients expose you to things like changing another person diapers or being exposed to bodily fluids which is not a pleasant experience. Also their should be mandatory pay and requirements for advancment. A registered nurse works hand and hand with a CNA and they make at least $20 an hour and I'm that's the under.

Offer advancement for all low level workers. Make this mandatory and focus getting employees to take pride in the job instead of looking at the job as just a job.

Management Problems

Current Employee - Cardiology Nurse in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Cardiology Nurse in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice workout facility. Good health Insurance. Good orientation. Very good CEO. Good mission statement.

Cons

CEO is great, but the Vice Presidents and product line managers do not follow his lead and undermine his authority. He needs to clean shop. TMH tries new and innovative ideas but the sub-management kills all ideas before they can be implemented. The department heads are very jaded after years of killed initiatives. They jokei is; TMH where good ideas go to die.

Clean out the VP's and product line managers to get management moving.

Non profit hospital that serves communities near and far.

Current Employee - Nurse Tech in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse Tech in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

the feeling of family . Open door policy

Cons

Slow to improve and resistant to change .

Case Management

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Pros

Co-worker, patients, and knowledge from others. Great place to grow!

Cons

Management is horrible,unprofessional, and have no managerial skills.

Overall great place to work that could use some tweaking

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TMH is the best healthcare system in North Florida you can work for. It has some of the best doctors, nurses and most advanced specialty programs around. The majority of employees are great to work with and are passionate about what they do. The CEO is wonderful, and the hospital provides activities for the employees such as their Summer of Fun celebration to engage them and show their appreciation. The pay is on par with what you'll see in Tallahassee, and they provide annual cost of living increases each year.

Cons

Depending on what department you're in, your experience can vary. There aren't many formal policies and procedures that go across the board, and some departments don't have documented internal policies. There also isn't any formal training/leadership track for new managers or training programs for non-clinical workers.

The paid time off isn't non-clinical friendly either. You accrue paid time off with each pay check, but these hours are also used for holidays and the first day of sick leave. You have to be employed for five years before you can use your sick leave on the first day. So, depending on when you start, it could be difficult to accrue enough time to take vacation.

Also, there isn't really any upward progression for most non-clinical employees, so you'll likely have to leave to advance. However, if you want to remain in healthcare, the options locally are limited.

Provide opportunities for non-clinical employees to learn new skills and grow into leadership and management roles. The paid time off policy should be re-evaluated for non-clinical employees in order to attract the best talent and provide them with an experience similar to what they are probably used to.

Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare Photos