Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

G. Mark O'Bryant

Pharmacy Volunteer

Current Employee - Volunteer  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare part-time for less than a year

Pros

if you are looking for somewhere to volunteer to have some hands on experience this is the perfect place to work.

Cons

getting into the swing into things, but once you are able to adapt you will have a great experience

Not great, but not terrible

Current Employee - Radiology Transcription  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Radiology Transcription in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pretty good benefits and stability. Depending upon the position, accommodating with scheduling.

Cons

You are just a number, not a person. They really don't care about you, as a person or a valued employee. You are not "a special snowflake"; they can easily replace you. They apparently don't care about incompetence, especially among the management.

I wish that ICARE actually meant that you cared -- cared about your employees more.

Technical Support Helpdesk Technician

Former Employee - Technical Support Helpdesk Technician  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Helpdesk Technician in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most employees around the organization are friendly. Cafe is good. Clean environment for the most part. Communication is ok as well.

Cons

Management and HR not the greatest. Parking is atrocious. Pay and benefits definitely needs some work. Not a family friendly environment of you work there.

Nurses and Physicians may take care of your patients. But everyone else is support staff that enables them to provide this care and are extremely important and pay should reflect this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Departmental Managers Make It or Break It

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Pros

Wages are generally fair for non-clinical professionals. Also, young professionals will find many opportunities for resume building as entry-level employees are entrusted with significant responsibility.

Cons

Working conditions vary greatly throughout this organization depending on the departmental leadership. Historically, the behaviour of poor departmental managers has gone unchecked. If you are a non-clinical professional, also expect little to no vacation time during your employment here—about 7 vacation days are eaten up by mandatory holiday closures and initial sick days come out of the vacation bank for the first 5 years of employment.

Invest in training leaders to manage more effectively, hire leaders who have demonstrated competency in their field and in management, and, most importantly, act more judiciously in response to signs of ineffectual leadership. Consider a personal leave policy that will actually allow employees time to rest and rejuvenate.

Great company with the usual problems of a large hospital.

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare

Pros

Job security, opportunity for over time, management attempts to listen and make changes.

Cons

Inconsistencies in management and rules. Low pay for experience. Profits come before the patients at times.

If you invest in good employees your company will do better.

Best hospital in Tally to work for but crappy pay

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

teaching environment and constantly growing

Cons

pay is horrible for experienced nurses

increase pay for experienced nurses and you will get better staff

Eye Opening compared to better organized systems.

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The CHP insurance benefit beats the heck out of the huge deductibles and expense of any other health care insurance I have ever paid out the wazoo for. CHP covers care very well.
    I know I care about others and I know was the lowest salary I have ever earned.
    There are good co-workers that really care and feel defeated by those that are not team players.
    Patients are great and deserve the very best of compassionate care!

Cons

A experienced, compassionate, intelligent person who has worked at other places and only is taking this position due to relocation to the area arrives to realize that this stand alone hospital is not in certain ways willing to self evaluate its efficiency and general appearance to others.
    TMH should ask others who come from different hospital environments about how they could improve their care to patients and the community.
    Those with the power to make change do so as it seems you are not able to see through the eyes of a patient or a stranger.
    There are "bitter party of ones" that have been here and no where else for the last 20 and 30 years of their lives eat their new employees especially in certain areas of the hospital.
    I was blown away that this place hires non-experienced nurse for the critical care areas.
    I was blown away that the staff has no consistent formal training program for staff that follows strict preceptor guidelines that enforces the preceptor to treat the trainee with professionalism and up-lifting encouragement. I recalled being told by one 30 year employee out of her unkind and bitter heart "your not an administrator anymore". I wonder what unprofessional supervisor who had not right told her I was once a supervisor in the first place. I was a nose to the grind working on the floor nurse with a fancy title that's all! This is one cruel place when it comes to certain people.
    True to be found that some staff are so unprofessional and know how to be lazy.
    You jump to help them with patient care and certain others gladly tell you NO WAY when you ask for fair team help in return.
    They need to have nurses who build confidence in procedures.
    TMH needs look at other systems or be consulted on how to organize the flow of access to materials stat needed for the patients.
    I am blown away that the same insulting preceptor didn't review their patients medications and was sending them home with multiple repeated dangerous medications. I am blown away that a nurse practitioner didn't even catch it and showed attitude at being called to fix the danger the pt. was being placed in by not having the medication addressed and corrected for safe dosage the moment the pt. arrived at the start of there care.
    There is hardly a visible spiritual center that is traditional and more visible at other hospitals. Yes, we have ministers that are great. There needs to be a open and much more visible place for all faiths to come to seek out their higher spiritual needs. TMH you tuck this away...boast this neutral place for all faiths and non-faiths as a choice for strength reflection needs.
    Promote compassion and professionalism in our care. Demand it of all staff!
    The maintenance of electrical lights above beds and in the ceilings are way behind and lacking. The place may be a beautiful lady of talented care; however the problem it that her dress is UGLY. The place needs an internal face lift down to the rooms and the pt. supplies areas are not organized that gives each floor a consistent lay out. As a new person I was frustrated that it took minutes of staring at the wall of supplies to figure out where an emergent item was at.
    I know the floors have been improved but, there is still too much time/money spent on managing them. There are far more advanced decor systems that other hospitals are using that could redirect monies to direct care givers allowing TMH to be BSN staffed and attract the best.
    The utilizing of buses to transport staff on a ongoing and continuous load of expense. Stop renting to that slum lord leaking room building next door to the hospital to the sad place to call a private school. Build a tower of parking for staff only and charge us a fair fee a month to not have to park our butts on the filthy bus system where we have to sit next to smokers and those coughing all over others.
    Stop getting rid of staff after 6 sick call ins. I have had to take two off sick because a co-worker was sick and maxed out on sick days...came in coughing and spreading the germs on us in the air.
    I recall how a patient shared with me that she was a former nurse and others fired because became sick from a building of mold at TMH. Yes, she sued. Yes, she won...but her illness has taken her to a true low.
    Stop your surveys that ask questions about your, age, race, how long you have been an employee and other questions that lead the anonymous survey right to your fingerprints. If you complain and tell the truth of all the questions you are busted.
    Stop passing staff who are dedicated for training and specialization opportunities because you want to keep them in the hard to fill time slot. Stop hiring a new person to the area and providing them with the benefit of specialized training. Practice fair and promotion.
    Managers in certain under performing departments. Stop planting snitches among the nursing staff that have all left on you already. Stop being paranoid and retire so others can get in there treat others as peers and make the patient care the best.

Pay for your nurses to advance their education with out making it difficult, pay a 4 to 5 an hour increase for completing the BSN. Stop requiring commitment of them if you help them pay for advancing education. Magnet status is not worth 50 cents and hours to a nurse trying to just pay for shelter and food. Include locking out the 20 and 30 years nurses who do not have there BSNs with in 4 years also.
    Maybe they will get on line and earn their degrees also and maybe they will retire and get out of the way of others that are not stuck in their way of thinking.
    CNO Barbra and Mr. O'Brian I challenge you to call from pt. rooms and other phones to check the professionalism of each and every staff employee as if you were a patient. You will find that some will hang up on you if you request anything and some "nurses" who use not manners do not re-assure the pt. that they are going to make effort to meet the requested needs.
    Mr. O'Brian the electric bill is huge...look into leaving a legacy by installing the cube system or other sources of energy to run the hospital. It will pay for itself and the legacy you leave that was taken by the former CEO's greed and destruction can be restored by you sir.
    CNO Barbra Insist that FSU and TCC and surrounding program Deans that the nurses need to improve on scope of practice nursing skills and utilize the patient surveys to find seek out what the simple skills are.
    Get rid of the liability saving food management company and put back in staff that know how to prepare healthy and delicious food that patients and staff can brag to the community about.

Comparing Chief Nursing Officer to 2 other hospitals.

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Direct management (supervisors) are very friendly and open but limited in power.

Cons

Highest level management known to be unfriendly and even insulting to excellent nurses.

Treat your lower level staff like they are your family, not like inmates. I have had co-workers that I consider top of the line come back in tears after being verbally degraded over little things. Instead of the compassionate approach, the militant approach is used. Compare to CNO at Orange Park Medical Center in Jacksonville who makes you feel like you are working with your big sister rather than boss. Compare to CNO at UF Health (Shands) who actually gets into scrubs and works the floor and is known to be so friendly that when you are working side by side you feel like she is just another co-worker. Dont look like a sergeant when you walk down the halls, smile and make eye contact and say hello as you pass people.

Best place to work in the panhandle area

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Largest facility and the best place to work if you live or want to work in the panhandle area. Most of the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

Low pay. Minimal opportunities for advancement. Promotions are often based more on who you know that what you know. Some department managers don't promote good employees because they don't want to lose them.

Organization has good vision, but poor execution. CNO should be nursing friendly.

Excellent company because of the people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented management that really cares about the people. Upper management actually understands the entire flow of the physician offices and how everything should work. In my experience, management listened to their employees and got all of the details before making decisions.

Cons

Very limited employment opportunities in Tallahassee for the IT sector.

Worked for Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!