Talyst Reviews

Reset
2.7
Carla Corkern

I worked at Talyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is at the top of their market and up until recently the company has experienced a lot of growth. There is a lot of potential in their future.

Cons

Extremely top heavy. In support there were just about as many managers as there were support reps. A few of the managers are really counter productive by micromanaging everything. Often passing blame rather than working to fix a problem.

Advice to Management

Review the structure of your top heavy management. The structure of the company and the team dynamics have changed in the last year and the processes in place waste a lot of time and resources. Management is overbearing and the work environment seems a lot like the movie "office space". Prior to the recent changes Talyst was an excellent company to work for.

Talyst is a broken company

I worked at Talyst full-time

Pros

Team is great, management above VP is great.
    Team wants to help customers but are prevented by upper management.
    Lots of camaraderie until the ax falls

Cons

CEO is not a leader.
    General managers are protecting their silos and don't work together for the big picture.
    Moral will never get better with the management team that is in place.
    Employee Services are the execution team.

Advice to Management

Follow the advice of all the training your taking.
    Allow the workers to satisfy the customer.
    Fix all the software so that it works as advertised.
    Reduce upper management until the ratio of VP's to workers is no longer broken.

3. One of the worst experiences of my life

Former Employee - Accountant in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Talyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you just want a job until you retire. Good benefits: lots of vacation time, 50% 401k match (although it takes 4 years to vest), low employee-paid health premiums. Flexible schedules are generally allowed (although my boss wanted me on a set schedule even though I was salaried).

Cons

I was lied to in the interview about the working conditions (ability to work from home was promised and never materialized) and growth potential (there turned out to be none).
    Culture is very self-centered and retroactive. Way too much time was spent cleaning messes because everybody is only focused on their job and what's easiest for them without thinking about the rest of the team and how much more work they are creating for others in order to avoid a little bit of work for themselves. And there was a lot more complaining about problems than fixing them. I overheard venting every day and (because?) nothing ever changed.
    The HR/Employee Services department is basically a party-planning committee. For everything else, they're dismissive at best. I don't think I ever received a response when I e-mailed the "employee services" account, and was often ignored when contacting the folks directly, even when trying to claim a prize I won, that they apparently needed 3+ months to shop for. It seems like all they do is hire people and plan parties. They don't actually manage their human resources. There are "mandatory" quarterly reviews, but I only had two in my time there. I never had the review that I knew raises depended on, even though I tried asking for it.
    Finally, leaving this company (voluntarily) was a nightmare. I gave two weeks notice and really did try to help prepare them for the transition, including working late a couple nights to write process documents and designing a plan for training the replacement around appointments that I had in my calendar. Then I was dismissed late in the afternoon of my last day - and that day was docked from my final paycheck. Speaking of final check - the HR department tried to trick me into forfeiting basically my entire check by accelerating contributions to the FSA plan. I was sent the form with the options pre-selected and was told they needed me to sign it before I could get my final check. Fortunately I read what I sign; I don't know how many times they might have gotten away with that with other people, though.

Advice to Management

Think proactively - a little more time/work now saves time, work, and problems in the long run. Also, when making decisions, include the people involved in doing the work to provide input on the feasibility of a plan instead of just coming up with something and expecting it to somehow work in your broken and clunky process system.

5. Talyst was a good experience

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Talyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and outstanding professional clientele. It was great to bring a real service to the healthcare industry, improving efficiency, reducing medication errors while lowering hospital cost.

Cons

Management was very closed minded. Hard to get them to listen without confrontation.
    There is little career growth potential. What you're hired as is what you'll likely always be.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and show the proper appreciation when jobs are well done.

I learned a lot, but saw no future.

I worked at Talyst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The communication between the different departments is pretty good in comparison to most companies I have worked for.

Cons

The structure of the company is too top heavy. There is way to much management that conflicts with one another resulting in the same thing being done multiple times, while wasting time and resources.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to play the blame game and just focus on fixing the problem.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Talyst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice technology. Good staff. 85% percent of management needs to be replaced.

Cons

Poor management. Too much back biting and egos.

Advice to Management

They will not listen.

8. Great People,Sorry Company

I worked at Talyst full-time

Pros

Automation and managed medication for Skilled/Nursing Homes along with correctional facilities.This is a leading solution they are aggressive about.Good people that care and really want company to be successful

Cons

Upper management are not team players and only are listening to themselves and company is still in a fly by the seat pants mode,very lack the view of the big picture
    and successful implementation.

Advice to Management

Look at the deals you lost and listen to your team's that are in the trenches

Master of none

I worked at Talyst full-time

Pros

I am speechless here... really.

Cons

Lack of knowledge about competition and where Talyst's products fit into the market... Resulting in overpriced and outdated products.

Advice to Management

Know the market, know where you fit into it, strategize appropriately

10. Great Team, not so great management

Former Employee - Customer Support in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Talyst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was exciting to be involved with such cutting edge technology and to make a difference in health care industry be helping to cut medical dose mistakes.

Cons

Unfortunately the management went through an overhaul and the entire atmosphere went from being a productive, fun, involved team atmosphere to a stressful, and toxic environment

Advice to Management

Try to really communicate to your people, and give the credit to the people who are carrying addressing a lot of the difficult issues and carrying the company.

11. Generally a decent place to work if you enjoy risks

I worked at Talyst

Pros

Employees at Talyst are passionate about their jobs, and in general, excel at them. The work is important work, and it feels good to produce/support something which makes a difference in the world (probably even saves lives).

Cons

During the two years I worked there, they had layoffs every five months or so. It felt very unstable.

Advice to Management

I think senior management has improved and has a chance of getting Talyst on its feet. It seems to me that some of the senior managers have a good, solid understanding of business principles, and I hope that the market improves so that their efforts will pay off.

The only advice I feel qualified to give is to show more respect for employees during layoffs. Don't rush them out the door like they are a disappointment and a failure, leaving them no opportunity to say goodbye. A severance package is a nice gesture, but a shove out the door is not. It would help morale of existing employees (who know they may be next) if they saw that they could expect respectful treatment even if they end up losing their jobs.

Also, the career growth requirement could be rethought. Although it was presented as a thoughtful gesture toward employees, it was actually another demand on an already crazy schedule. Even if we had miraculously found some quiet moments in our workday, I was told that company time could not be used for career growth activities, so it was a demand on our personal time. And, yes, Talyst offered to pay for classes, but it had to be paid back if the employee was not with the company for a whole year after the class was taken. That wasn't a very good bet, with the layoff rate. So in reality, the career growth requirement just added demands and didn't offer much in return.

RSS Feed </> Embed