Tampa General Hospital

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Hytoff

Tampa General Hospital was a great to place to work, everyone there where nice and very knowlegdable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tampa General Hospital full-time

ProsNice, Smart, Friendly. Always on time

ConsBetter pay, more jobs offered

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Hospital Great Individual Dpeartments are poor

Anesthesia Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time

ProsThe hospital truly cares for its employees. They do many things to support a positive environment within the hospital. Tries hard to make it a great place to work. C suite managment is outstanding

ConsIndividual departments however are terrible. They are often run by managers that have no clue how to manage or do the job of the personell they are managing. They spend large amounts of time in meetings which makes it difficult to allow them to manage. Senior level managment doe snothing to support their employees at all which is rather disappointing. The pay is way on the low end and they constantly use the benefits as a crutch but the benefits are only a fraction better than other hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the managers that are just bidding their time till retirement. Stop making the managers attend unnecessary meetings and allow them to manage. The majority of "Directors" are poor managers and should go. Do a serious audit of the managers and find out what the employees truly think.

RN

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits given to full time employees. Many opportunities to increase your pay and highly flexible scheduling.

ConsThings are always changing (or being improved). Its difficult to remember everything expected of you all the time when it is always being changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to encourage your employees on what they do right. Utilize gentle reminders to remind staff of recent changes, and focus more on those things that your staff have done well.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A growing experience

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Tampa General Hospital full-time for less than a year

ProsA great place to work. There is room to grow and expand. They are very supportive of advancement.

ConsA very high pace and stressful environment.

Excellent experience and wonderful new facility

RN, BSN, CEN, CCRN (Former Employee)

I worked at Tampa General Hospital part-time for less than a year

ProsAcuity and volume of patient flow

ConsVolume of patient flow was very high.

Wonderful place to work!

Clinical Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, very good benefits and great people!

ConsHigh acuity patients, some times work short staff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Some great worker bees with horrible management.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe hospital is an exciting place to be akin to a small city. Many "lines of business" and plenty of occupations to work in. Some very nice, caring people.

ConsIn IT, the name of the game is "play the party line." It's not about merit, skills, or knowledge, but sucking up and riding the gravy train that is the hospital doing well financially. They would never make in the non-profit world where ROI matters. IT management here is not about talent but seniority and favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn IT, get out of your offices, get away from the hospital, and start learning about how the rest of the world works. Actually, start learning the basics of IT outside of pushing a Powerpoint presentation.

Very pleased with my choice to work as RN in varied ICU's at TGH.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Tampa General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you work hard and prove yourself you will be developed (specialty training, charge position, etc.) by management.

ConsPay is lower than most. But I believe the acuity of the patients and resources TGH has make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor lower management.... Learn how to manage... Most don't understand how to develop or even discipline employees. Hopefully they can then work on becoming leaders.
For upper management..... The manager greatly influences the culture of the unit. Learn from the great managers and made timely decisions on poor ones. No "scores" will change if the manager is weak and not respected by the staff. Also, there is a huge need for employee development or re-development. From new hires to senior staff, all areas could be improved. My main issue is with senior/experienced staff's poor attitudes. Problems are usually ignored until it's grounds for termination or the employee decides to move on. Until this"scores"are hurt, moral is low, and ultimately patients don't receive the best care possible.

A great hospital, some work to be done, but overall I'm happy

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time

Prosgood pay, great co-workers, awesome benefits and perks!!

ConsNone at the current time.

Nice place to work if you enjoy working closely with others and enjoy job security in these difficult times

Health Information Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tampa General Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat management and friendly co-workers. Location is central to everything in Tampa. Hours are flexible and they will work with your school schedule

Consrequired to work most holidays and occasional weekends, which is good if you enjoy overtime pay. The offices are a little outdated

Worked for Tampa General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tampa General Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tampa General Hospital CEO Ron Hytoff. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Tampa General Hospital employees.