Tango

Updated November 2, 2014
Updated November 2, 2014
2.8

Uri Raz

Pros
  • Product with large user base and excellent potential (in 3 reviews)

• The benefits and perks are above par - 401k match, free meals, unlimited PTO, solid health care benefits, gym reimbursements, education, etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • definitely long hours and can get stressful but probably similar with most start up environments (in 11 reviews)

• They are secretly hidden in all email lists, keep a tab on work hours and check often employees take breaks (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Need a better management team

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are quite a few smart and experienced engineers here.
    Large user base, a lot of interesting problems.

Cons

Large portion of the management team are not qualified to be manager or director.
    They don't know how to motivate people and how to make people happy - You can see that from other reviews.
    They don't really listen to you because they don't really respect you from heart - Reasonable suggestion by multiple engineers are just got ignored and don't try to mention it again if this happened.

Ask yourself what you did today helped your team member. Learn how to motivate people.

software engineer

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a very energetic company. very friendly people. developing mobile platform and i feel they are winners. more than 250M users.
    great stratosphere in the office

Cons

demanding environment. need to be smart to get appreciate bu the team

keep going

The company needs a better CEO

I have been working at Tango full-time

Pros

Lots of great people. Good potential to really build something big.

Cons

It's such a pity that great people are overruled by poor management, led by the tyrant CEO. The CEO constantly spreads out negative energy throughout the entire organization by micromanaging, public scrutiny even humiliation, last minute changes, short-term focus, and promoting long hours and weekend work. No respect for individuals. No appreciation for work.
    The company doesn't have strong vision or mission. Only strategy seems to be making numbers seemingly attractive and hoping to sell to Alibaba some day. Focus is always very short-term. Projects are rushed out or cancelled. Conflicting priorities at all times.
    On top of that, the company has mis-aligned execs. It has more VPs than people who actually get things done. Directions come from all over the place. But guess what, it doesn't matter if they are aligned, the CEO will change it after all anyway.

If the Board really want Tango to succeed, need to replace its CEO. We need someone that can lead by inspiration, vision, and appreciation, who would focus on long-term and lead people with clear strategy towards it's goal, whom people would follow instead of afraid of, who leads instead of bullies, who doesn't cause most of the attrition over the past few years.

Great people. Extremely motivating environment. Very good long-term outlook.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Tango full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in Tango for a bit less than a year (I had to leave because I've got my dream job in Google, not because I didn't like working in Tango) on H1B visa. Before joining Tango I've read some of the negative reviews on Glassdoor and was a bit hesitant about joining. I'm very glad I ignored all these reviews! My overall experience with Tango was extremely positive:
     - I've learned a lot of new things in a very wide range of topics and as a result I improved as an engineer tremendously!
     - I've met a lot of very smart and motivated people and made a lot of friends!
     - All managers that I was working with (directly or indirectly) were extremely helpful and responsive to my needs!
     - I had an opportunity to take a peek into insides of a very successful Silicon Valley startup!
     - Last but not least I should mention all the perks: great food 3 time a day, a lot of team/company events, phone/education/gym reimbursements...

Cons

With more than 200 employees and almost $300 millions of raised funds Tango should already be considered BigCorp for all intents and purposes, not a Startup. And most of the cons in my opinion are strongly tied with the inability to switch away from "startup mode" in which Tango continues to operate:
     - too much focus on the short-term
     - inefficient, outgrown code review practices
     - reluctance, unwillingness of mentoring new people
     - occasional mandatory work on weekends
     - a lot of flakiness in the decisions

It's time to move away from the startup mode!

Shady business with no mission. Pointless.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Tango full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* relatively stable financial situation (does not mean good!) bc of gigantic rounds of investments
    * impact on real customers - some people do use this app

Cons

It is so unpleasant to work over there. Everything is like an uphill struggle. Most of OK reviews are fake.

* Management. It is the worst ever. Shuffling priorities, pushing random features, no respect for personal time, personal opinion(!) and family. CEO micromanages. He has no idea about modern and trendy mobile apps. He is characterless. He claims to have some vision, but he and the rest of VPs make the same mistakes release after release alienating the best users and customers. People are bored, sad, frustrated and everyone feels cheated. There is some relief in small efforts to push subsystems, sometimes challenging and interesting, but it is never continued and no real resources are invested in it (because there is no vision nor mission in this company). All of that is dressed up in beautiful words (dynamic, mobile, research).

* Stock Options. Basically you get worthless tiny bit of the company. Every company meeting they manipulate you into thinking that it will be worth millions. HR will not share any details about investments (total # of shares, preferred ratios, your %), so from scraps of information from old employees you will get the idea that high number of options means nothing. CEO refused to sell the company couple times, in his mind it is always worth 10x of market value.
    Options are really expensive. Buying them costs you a lot of tax because of valuation, but even here competition grows much faster.

* Money. Salaries are substandard, probably around 30%-40% under the market. They say that options and projects will reward missing bits. See above, lol. Bonuses are random and you need to be friends with execs to get nice payout. You are friends with them if you work till midnight 7 days a week.

* Atmosphere. It is bad. All the perks come substandard (e.g. food) or with hidden agenda (like dinner moved from 6 to 7pm to keep people in). In private conversation everyone is sarcastic and doesn't know why she is still hanging around.

* Staff. This would be good to take some legal action. Majority of staff comes from China or Israel on H1B visas. See the execs to figure what sex, nationality, language will let you decide about anything. No vacation - only unlimited PTO - thats a scam, hard to get anything without guilt trap. The elephant in the room is attrition rate. Many skilled engineers left recently the company. Team leads are like guards in a prison.

* Product. Getting better, but without any vision and with a lot of wasted effort. Whole teams are analyzing markets and users - to draw strange conclusions. It doesn't matter bc CEO will do something else anyway. VPs are superstars that will not take your input. Team leads are noble prize winners and decide about everything on technical level.

TLDR: Join, Be Told, Work-Work-Work, Wake Up, Say Bye. That a fast cycle, no reason to read above.

Pick a goal and execute. Driving artificial statistics is not a goal. It is fine to work hard and long hours providing there is point to it. Let go the CEO. It would be nice if you do not cheat financially your employees. Do not use management techniques from '90 or maybe XIX century.

Poor pay, bad management, sweat shop office

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Tango full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok smart engineers, things tend to get done at a reasonable pace, lots of food and snacks

Cons

Very low pay, like 30-50% below market, really boring projects, awful management, requirement that you be in your sweat shop seat between 930 and 7, no exceptions, regardless of if you have work to do or not. There is no management here whatsoever, a bunch of scared micro taskers with a whip. Poor top down or horizontal communication. A china team that manages to run the US office because the US management wont stand up to them. Not a good place right now if you are a highly skilled engineer, go elsewhere, unless you need the H1 + greencard, pray they dont screw it up by hiring the worst and cheapest law firm.

This is not a 15 person startup anymore, you need to start running this like a proper company by getting some proper management in place. Pay real salaries.

Horrible working environment

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was a leading mobile company losing market. Loads of money in the bank.

Cons

Horrible management. Horrible working environment.

Tango Response

Oct 8, 2014Head of People

We are sorry to hear your experience has resulted in a negative review. As the Head of HR, I am constantly looking for ways to improve our employee's experience and know the management team is ... More

cannot be worse

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

is there any?

Alright, you get free but crappy food for lunch.

Lots of parking space.

Cons

the company is trying to squeeze every last bit of your blood
    when it comes to your career, they don't care.

H1B? they tried all the possible ways to delay mine, for years!

go screw yourself

Tango Response

Oct 13, 2014Head of People

I'm really sorry to hear you feel your experience with Tango has led you to write such a review. As the Head of HR, I'm always looking for employee feedback on how to improve the experience for our ... More

Good company with great potential

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart engineering team, fast-paced environment, growth opportunities, a great deal amount of cash, the management team always try hard to make the company better.

Cons

Young, inexperienced management team. All areas (engineering, product manager, operation, QA, HR) need improvement (mostly due to lack of experience). Working hours is too strict (informal mandatory hours: before 9:30 am). Working from home does not exist. Not family-friendly. Too much emphasize of long working hours than the actual productive output.

Should offer more flexible hours (including working from home).

Great leadership, enjoyable work atmosphere, exciting projects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tango full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable work environment, effective leadership, many opportunities within the company, tons of perks (3 meals a day, laundry service, game rooms, etc), exciting team & projects

Cons

Long hours, time-off is minimal

Keep focus on long-term company values