Tango Transport

B. J. Gorman

truck driver

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Tango Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent equipment and terminals, good insurance,and benefits, nice people

Cons

shorter miles on each trip

pay more cents per mile for experience

Uneven distribution of miles to driversn

I have been working at Tango Transport

Pros

Home time nice people good ins benefits.

Cons

Low mileage 2000 7days 2week out 2day off
    they too have their special runners. 2000 5 days weekend off
    They just started lease not good for company drivers.
    shop hours are covenant
    for mechanics not drivers. They slow do not fix properly.

Stand behind what u say in mileage.
    loads r not evenly distributed.
    pay is based per mile all tires turn benifits company and driver

Company milage promise

Current Employee - Driver in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are a good group of people to work for. They will get you home.

Cons

Milage is not even close to what they promise.

Slow down hire process till more freight materialise.

Disappointed!!

Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Tango Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed to travel to different parts of the country.

Cons

Problem with getting you home when you requested. The loads are more important then the drivers.

Not Driver Friendly

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Driver services is the only redeeming value of this company

Cons

The word is pretty much out concerning Tango. Drivers talk, and Tango is at the top of the list of companies to avoid driving for. I guess I would say that “lack of respect” for the drivers is at the top of the list. Tango keeps the drivers separate from most all office personnel. In the time I worked for them I never met any of my driver managers face to face. This tends to make things very impersonal and all drivers are referred to as a number. DM’s that have been with the company the longest tend to be very rude and disrespectful if you ever have any constructive criticism for them or point out mistakes they have made. If you ever want to make suggestions on how the company can be more productive from a driver’s viewpoint, you be ignored. I could always tell when I was dealing with a new DM, freshly hired by the company. They were always the most helpful and respectful towards the driver. I guess you could surmise as I did, that they were not yet corrupted or tainted by the stressors of their job. This is not to say that ultimately a DM will turn bad. I worked for a period as a Dedicated driver for Wal Mart. Any driver that has had the fortune of driving for Wal Mart can tell you that it is “Stress Free” You deal with the planners and Managers on a daily basis face to face. Very respectful and professional people in my opinion. So in essence what I am saying is that there is no reason to be rude or dismissive. It always leads to problems.

Then there are the lies. Any driver can tell you that this is ultimately a given when you are dealing with a DM. Once again, I do not want to put this label on all DM’s. I did interact with a few that had character and told the driver straight! But predominantly, Tango DM’s will tell you what they think you want to hear just so they can move on to the next fire to be put out. I guess what they don’t realize is that this will only lead to mistrust and more issues down the road.

I had to check my payroll on a weekly basis to make sure there were no mistakes. There were always mistakes. Getting paid for extras such as Layover pay, detention pay and breakdown pay was like pulling teeth! Drivers would constantly have to remind driver managers to submit this type of pay. In orientation they tell the drivers that they are Tangos top priority! That driver get what they are owed. The truth of the matter is, the first thing they check for is a reason to deny your extra pay. Their whole system is set up to do just that. For example,… (and there are many) A “Pre Plan” will be sent to the driver for approval via the Qualcomm system. As any driver does, he or she will use that information to plan their day, route and time to start their clock in order to maximize their hours and get as many miles in as they can. A driver looks at the date and time for their next appointment. Sometimes, or more often then not, a driver will experience some sort of detention time. A driver will eventually come to learn “What to expect” at any given Shipper or Consignee after dealing with them a few times. Its those customers that you have never been to that can be a problem. You are in the dark, so to speak, and need accurate information from the Planners and or the DM’s. Tango is in the habit of giving you an appointment time and then changing it without informing you. There were many time with Tango that I would plan my day according to their info only to get to a shipper and find out that the actual pick up time was later. In most cases hours later. One would think that Tango would agree to pay the detention, but this was never the case. They would go by the updated appointment time and adjust the drivers detention and not pay them for all the extra hours of sitting around. Another favorite of Tango is to give you an appointment time that you cannot possibly make because of appointment conflicts. You arrive late for an appointment, through no fault of your own and have to in essence, “Go to the end of the line” and wait for an opening. Once again, Tango would refer to company policy and not compensate the driver for this wasted time.

I would like to add (for drivers new to the industry) that Tango (as well as other companies) will tell you that they pay you by the mile. This is very common yet misleading. Tango actually pays you for a predetermined distance between two zip codes. What this means to the driver is, you will very rarely get paid for the miles you drive. In my experience a driver will get shorted an average of 20 to 30 or more miles per load. Tango will tell you that it is an industry standard to do this. For most of the major carriers , it is. Once upon a time a company could claim that they had no way to actually determine the distance between two addresses. That may have been true years ago, but with modern technology this no longer holds to be true. What it in essence does, is fatten the bottom line to the company by not having to pay you the miles you ran. Some will look at it as a pittance. But when a company on average shorts hundreds of drivers 20 to 30 miles on every load,… It adds up my friend! Fattening the bottom line for the company is why they still do it. In knowing this, one would wonder why Tango goes through so much trouble to pay out owed detention and layover pay to drivers. It’s not good business and already has them well in the lead of companies to avoid driving for. They truly see the driver as some sort of “Dumb Oaf” who cant put two and two together.

Tango’s Bonus system is set up to fail. Like any company they will base your bonus on such things like “Idle Time” (the amount of time you idle your engine when you are not driving) Tango either leases or purchases trucks that are “Bare Bone” No extras or added comforts in the truck. None of their trucks have APU’s. They expect drivers to shut off their trucks and either “Cook to death” and or Freeze in the winter. Now the winter is not that bad in Louisiana, but if you have ever experienced a summer there, you know that leaving on the AC is a must!. Tango does not care about this and look at it as yet another reason to fail the driver and keep from paying out the bonus.

Recently, Tango had upped their driver referral pay to 1,000.00. And their sign on bonuses to 2,000.00. I also recently heard them advertise this on Satellite radio. Tango is desperate to hire drives. Anyone with any type of intellect can see this. They are losing drivers by the drove! I cannot say that I ever met a current Tango driver that didn’t agree with my assessment of the conditions at Tango. Even former drivers agree and state these issues as the reason they left Tango. Word gets around in the trucking community, and it seems as though Tango has unseated the former King of the hill, Swift as the top company for drivers to avoid. I bear no animosity towards Tango. I am a Big Boy and was in control of the time I spent there. I would merely like to inform any newbie’s to the industry what they can expect if they get recruited to drive for Tango. The sad thing is, Tango will remain a mediocre company with a astronomical turn over rate, until they actually listen to experienced drivers who have viable solutions, and take steps to resolve these problems.

Good family owned company

Current Employee - Recruiter in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very professional place to work.

Cons

Pay is not high enough.

Pay more and they will stay.

has been one of the best company's i have worked for in a long time

Current Employee - Truckdriver/Otr in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Truckdriver/Otr in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Tango Transport

Pros

i have one of the best driver managers that a driver could ask for,the shop personal help in ever way they can to keep equipment running right,and try to do the best to get you out of shop as fast as they can

Cons

trucks run to slow need to run at less 68mrh to be able to make better time with this new logging system and don't pull hill's very good even little one

keep up the good work and thanks for the new terminal in shreveport/greeenwood area was well need ,work a little more on keeping us in bogalusa i like running out of there every once in awhile

If u like hauling roll or scrap paper, this is a great place to work

I have been working at Tango Transport

Pros

great equipment, friendly people, and great dispatchers

Cons

low pay, slow trucks. the home-time could be a few hours longer.

please consider feedback from the drivers whenever you make changes to the pay or equipment. the drivers' sayso should also matter.