Tangoe

Updated January 18, 2015
2.6

Tangoe President and CEO Al Subbloie
Al Subbloie

Pros
  • Strong starting pay, decent commission rates, tons of freedom, ability to work from home (in 5 reviews)

• Is a casual work environment that still encourages success (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The Tangoe culture is counter-intuitive to the cultivation of superior skill sets learned from outside the company--bewildering but true (in 3 reviews)

• Poor Management, Lack of respect for employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Rapid Fire Leadership

I worked at Tangoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience for someone new to inside sales and/or for someone wanting to get into sales on the ground floor. Leadership is very focused....on closing a sale. As it relates to support, well, the right person at this job will just have to ignore the negative comments from the support team because the leadership team are very committed to success.

Cons

MUST HAVE leather-like skin. This is a totally Go and/or NO-Go company. Must be of strong spirit and able to stand on your own.

Hmmmm, how about truly caring about employee development?

Great leadership - incredible team!

Former Employee - Region Vice President, Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Region Vice President, Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tangoe

Pros

The Sales culture is one of hard work and dedication but comes with great rewards. Sales leaders of the highest caliber from VP to SVP to CRO.

Cons

The only con is that if you aren't committed to excellence - you won't succeed at Tangoe.

Amazing corporate culture - right from the top. the CEO is the best of the best and I would happily work for him any day.

job is like a pit-stop at a nascar event. temporary

I have been working at Tangoe part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people 5/5
    policies are decent 3/5

Cons

benefit is 2/5
    want a pay increase? 0.5/5 chance
    culture is 2.5/5.
    slow at adapting for such a small company, its sad.
    keep looking even if you get the job, maybe you can get better.

listen to your employees because you are still a small company compared to the world or you will dive like your stocks.
    Keep riding the way you do, everyone will keep using you like a used tamp...
    good luck

I wish that my brain had a delete button so that I could forget about this experience.

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Tangoe

Pros

It beats flipping burgers . Not the best place to work but it's certainly not the worst. This line of work is ideal for someone with nothing more than a high school diploma or a few credits from a community college. This is a profession that just about anyone can do and do well.

Cons

Management is very disrespectful and seems to have contempt for their employees. Sadly enough management creates the tone from the top. I found that many of my coworkers were back stabbers and disrespectful as well. People with options eventually see Tangoe for what it is and move on. The future 30 year employees are the people with no other options that are stuck there.

Do some extensive background and credit checks to help weed out all of the trash. You'd be surprised to find out how many of your employees claim to have degrees that they never actually completed and who has a criminal record.

Great place to learn and grow

Former Employee - IT Administrator
    Former Employee - IT Administrator

I worked at Tangoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of challenges and plenty of opportunity to stand out

Cons

Lower pay. Lots of off hours work

Take better care of top performers and look for ways to help them reduce workload

Wonderful Place to work. Lots of room for growth. Very diverse atmosphere.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Small Company. They believe in promoting from within. There is opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

There is a point system. Attendance is key to longevity. If you are an hour late or less it is a half point. There are only 10 points to termination.

Management is fair and they have an open door policy. They are available to assist as needed. They are very flexible and if you talk to them they are available to help with your needs.

Growing company, with growing pains

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here, the company is growing quickly and adding new clients.

Cons

The training is almost non-existent, the compensation and benefits could be much better. Several people on my team have had to take second jobs to make ends meet in recent months. We've lost a lot of very good people because the pay is not always enough to justify the hours. A recent shift from hourly pay to salaried positions has left a lot of folks feeling pinched at the end of the month.

Money for Nothing

Former Employee - Help Desk Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Help Desk Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Tangoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at Tangoe is how quickly you can progress to doing the helpdesk role on auto-pilot if you have moderate intelligence. The starting pay is really good for how easy the work is. Health benefits are decent enough for the cost. You will probably make friends with many of your peers as the office environment allows for individual expression far more than similar places I have worked.

Cons

This will be as much a rant on call center culture as it is about Tangoe, but Tangoe was by far the worst perpetrator of this and I've worked at four call centers in my life. In training, Tangoe will tell you that advancement is a given if you put in the hard work. This is decisively false (for any call center that tells you this), as there is no benefit to them for removing someone who is really good on the phone from phone work. Seemed like the advancement train was easier to board if you went on smoke breaks with the supervisor or sat within arm's reach of him because he doesn't like to have to get up and walk around so proximity is more valuable to him than skill. Their attendance policy seems like it's illegal (take a bullet for your boss and have to miss work to get stitched up? Unexcused absence) and very recently they hired a floor supervisor whose role seemed to only plan "Fun Days" for the office, which ended up being like terrible alcohol-free theme parties. I'm just saying, it's a really good way to show your employees you care about them by paying someone from outside the company supervisor dollars to sit around and think of fun things to do on "Red White and Blue Day!" On top of that, Tangoe seems to think they need to constantly fix what wasn't broken until they tried to fix it and broke it so we're actually trying to fix it now. The policies are constantly changing, making what you knew a month ago irrelevant. Your scores and stats begin straight out of training, making the learning curve hurt you until almost a full year of employment.

Hire people will college degrees to manage your employees, don't just promote somebody who excelled at the helpdesk role for a year or so. It's extremely easy to babysit corporate weasels via telephone console 8 hours a day. That doesn't mean excellence in virtual babysitting translates to excellence in management. I'd also highly consider expunging the entire Columbus, OH team from the company, or at the very least its leadership, which for some reason remained after Tangoe bought out a competitor. In my training and business experience, I've learned that you should flush the previous staff during a buyout and bring in your own people. Tangoe didn't do this, and as a result the Austin and Columbus offices operate on very different philosophies, to the degree that agents in one office automatically despise working with agents in another solely based on the clashing philosophies. Overall, it would have been great to see some intellectual reciprocation from management with some degree of regularity, but at Tangoe Austin that's probably a little bit too much to ask right now.

Worst company ever

Current Employee - Wireless Help Desk in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Wireless Help Desk in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid Back, Time to study/get school work done on the clock

Cons

No management skills, high turn over rate, poor training, favoritism. This company is by far the worst ever. I joined because i had recently graduated and needed a job. I was lied to about the starting salary, and was taking calls on my 6th day when most people are trained for 2 months plus. My advice is run the other way. They recently offered someone i know 11/hr to work here. Company is a joke and going no where fast.

Good starting point

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule allowed me to set my hours so that I could complete my degree and work from home as needed. Casual dress

Cons

Not the greatest benefits but a good place to start learning and building a skill set for the future. Leadership is a tad disorganized

Tangoe Photos