Tangoe

Updated November 25, 2014
2.7

Tangoe President and CEO Al Subbloie
Al Subbloie

Pros
  • Strong starting pay, decent commission rates, tons of freedom, ability to work from home (in 5 reviews)

• Is a casual work environment that still encourages success (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no room for true advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Poor Management, Lack of respect for employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn and grow

Former Employee - IT Administrator
    Former Employee - IT Administrator

I worked at Tangoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of challenges and plenty of opportunity to stand out

Cons

Lower pay. Lots of off hours work

Take better care of top performers and look for ways to help them reduce workload

Wonderful Place to work. Lots of room for growth. Very diverse atmosphere.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Small Company. They believe in promoting from within. There is opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

There is a point system. Attendance is key to longevity. If you are an hour late or less it is a half point. There are only 10 points to termination.

Management is fair and they have an open door policy. They are available to assist as needed. They are very flexible and if you talk to them they are available to help with your needs.

Growing company, with growing pains

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here, the company is growing quickly and adding new clients.

Cons

The training is almost non-existent, the compensation and benefits could be much better. Several people on my team have had to take second jobs to make ends meet in recent months. We've lost a lot of very good people because the pay is not always enough to justify the hours. A recent shift from hourly pay to salaried positions has left a lot of folks feeling pinched at the end of the month.

Money for Nothing

Former Employee - Help Desk Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Help Desk Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Tangoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about working at Tangoe is how quickly you can progress to doing the helpdesk role on auto-pilot if you have moderate intelligence. The starting pay is really good for how easy the work is. Health benefits are decent enough for the cost. You will probably make friends with many of your peers as the office environment allows for individual expression far more than similar places I have worked.

Cons

This will be as much a rant on call center culture as it is about Tangoe, but Tangoe was by far the worst perpetrator of this and I've worked at four call centers in my life. In training, Tangoe will tell you that advancement is a given if you put in the hard work. This is decisively false (for any call center that tells you this), as there is no benefit to them for removing someone who is really good on the phone from phone work. Seemed like the advancement train was easier to board if you went on smoke breaks with the supervisor or sat within arm's reach of him because he doesn't like to have to get up and walk around so proximity is more valuable to him than skill. Their attendance policy seems like it's illegal (take a bullet for your boss and have to miss work to get stitched up? Unexcused absence) and very recently they hired a floor supervisor whose role seemed to only plan "Fun Days" for the office, which ended up being like terrible alcohol-free theme parties. I'm just saying, it's a really good way to show your employees you care about them by paying someone from outside the company supervisor dollars to sit around and think of fun things to do on "Red White and Blue Day!" On top of that, Tangoe seems to think they need to constantly fix what wasn't broken until they tried to fix it and broke it so we're actually trying to fix it now. The policies are constantly changing, making what you knew a month ago irrelevant. Your scores and stats begin straight out of training, making the learning curve hurt you until almost a full year of employment.

Hire people will college degrees to manage your employees, don't just promote somebody who excelled at the helpdesk role for a year or so. It's extremely easy to babysit corporate weasels via telephone console 8 hours a day. That doesn't mean excellence in virtual babysitting translates to excellence in management. I'd also highly consider expunging the entire Columbus, OH team from the company, or at the very least its leadership, which for some reason remained after Tangoe bought out a competitor. In my training and business experience, I've learned that you should flush the previous staff during a buyout and bring in your own people. Tangoe didn't do this, and as a result the Austin and Columbus offices operate on very different philosophies, to the degree that agents in one office automatically despise working with agents in another solely based on the clashing philosophies. Overall, it would have been great to see some intellectual reciprocation from management with some degree of regularity, but at Tangoe Austin that's probably a little bit too much to ask right now.

Good starting point

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule allowed me to set my hours so that I could complete my degree and work from home as needed. Casual dress

Cons

Not the greatest benefits but a good place to start learning and building a skill set for the future. Leadership is a tad disorganized

Worst company ever

Current Employee - Wireless Help Desk in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Wireless Help Desk in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid Back, Time to study/get school work done on the clock

Cons

No management skills, high turn over rate, poor training, favoritism. This company is by far the worst ever. I joined because i had recently graduated and needed a job. I was lied to about the starting salary, and was taking calls on my 6th day when most people are trained for 2 months plus. My advice is run the other way. They recently offered someone i know 11/hr to work here. Company is a joke and going no where fast.

Tangoe worked hard to find the best fit for my abilities and aptitudes.

Current Employee - CSA in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - CSA in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tangoe does make a sincere effort to find responsibilities which are a good fit for their employees.

Cons

The difficulties I experienced with Tangoe were mostly related to personality conflicts. When I first started there, I had an excellent supervisor who made clear what my responsibilities were and constantly provided me with assignments which both challenged me and enabled me to learn more about the functions I was to be performing. However, when this supervisor was promoted to another department, his replacement lacked the experience and the ability to distribute the workload effectively, and left me feeling at a loss as to what my responsibilities then entailed and what parts of the job I was responsible for, and what parts of the job were supposed to be referred to management.

The responsibilities of each employee need to be communicated more effectively, because I was unable to determine where my responsibilities left off and where management was supposed to take over. I felt responsible to the client for all of their needs, but was not able to provide for those needs due to the hierarchy in place on my team.

Castles in the air

Current Employee - Junior IT Gopher Type Operations Person in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Junior IT Gopher Type Operations Person in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There *are* some brilliant people and some interesting technical problems

Cons

GAAP reporting show losses, so financials are pro-forma. The same constructively wishful thinking is applied to product deadlines, headcount, and the layout of cubicles not even worthy of the name.

You may be the Leader, but it creates a major cognitive dissonance thing to be told we don't have 10K for a new Oracle license but we can pay executives millions of dollars per year. Changing a mere underling's title to "senior mere underling" without a pay increase or even a new chair leads one to question her real value to the firm.

One a CT star, now, not so much

I have been working at Tangoe part-time

Pros

Company has promise in a field that continues to grow and evolve. Mobile management continues to increase in importance for every company. New Tangoe solutions hold promise for helping businesses manage multiple growing technologies. Tangoe has the ability to help companies manage their connections better - not just their communications.

Cons

Senior management fails to provide leadership. Employees are viewed as assets, as long as you agree with the CEO. While there seems to be pockets of capable managers, this company is in for rough times if it doesn't soon place value on it greatest resource - people.

Ask your employees to help you make your business better instead of expecting them to only execute your demands. Remember that leadership requires communication and communication requires listening.

Wow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Tangoe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok thats all

Cons

Not enough office space
    Very low pay for people who carry the company ( Inventory Analysts,Client Service Analyst,Provisioners)

There is need for constant training for all staff
    Too many cliques in the Parsippany office
    People feel threatened by those who have a Telecom background
    Stop lowballing employees who come to work at Tangoe with low pay because they were unemployed
    Pay employees a decent wage- many employees are unable to live on the low wages

Tangoe Photos