Taos

Ric Urrutia

Challenging Work, Fair Pay

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really love the fact that they work with an overtime system for work past 40 hours at client sites. It encourages clients to treat you with some respect time-wise, and compensates you fairly well if you're needed beyond normal time. This creates a decent work-life balance, though the default vacation package isn't super generous. Lots of perks working here, and everyone is good attitude-wise.

Cons

The clients don't hire us because the work is easy - expect total messes at the client site for various reasons, and be ready to be patient, yet work your butt off during the hours you are there.

Keep doing what you're doing! I feel very much at home at Taos.

Nepotism and lack of integrity

Former Employee - Technical Consultant ( Senior Systems Administrator) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Taos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are competitive and they are paid promptly. The sales force is active but they don't always understand what the client's job requirements are.

Cons

Their nepotistic management has no integrity. When I was hired, they tried to slip me a modified offer letter with one of the key benefits and the signing bonus removed. When I pointed this out, they put the bench time benefit back in but wouldn't restore the bonus. When the sales people aren't bringing in contracts at the rates they were before, they'll pretend that it's performance and let you go. The last client had rated my work excellent, but they lied and said the client feedback had been negative so they had to let me go.

Stop treating your employees like disposable commodities. Everyone can see through your lack of sincerity. Stop lying to your employees.

Terrible. No Ethics. Corporate Greed.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Team Member in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Team Member in Boise, ID

I have been working at Taos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recruiting team is great at telling you what want to hear to get you to join the company, but once you're there you realize you've been had. The Pro would be the optimistic feeling I had prior to my start date. Benefits are decent.

Cons

No ethics policy, ethics reporting, and no interest from HR or management in hearing about ethics violations. Recruiting team always tells prospective employees that "wages are competitive" when they're not. Taos has no problem low-balling people. Salaries are exaggerated on job postings, management doesn't communicate with the people actually doing the work, and there's no individual recognition. If you've seen Office Space, then you know how Taos operates. The left hand doesn't even know where to start looking for the right one to see what it's doing. There are so many Cons I could write a book. People sitting to the left and right of you are likely making $3-5 more per hour if they were hired externally, rather than being promoted from within, and are performing the exact same tasks. Talent is wasted here. Client transitions are a train wreck. Decisions are made at a corporate/management level and aren't communicated to the teams involved until after the new procedures are in place, then when mistakes are made due to lack of communication, management passes the buck. If you work here, don't be surprised if you see a job posting for your job offering $5-10 more per hour. 12 hour shifts are not given breaks or lunches. Management has side-stepped this issue when it was brought to their attention. Taos is more interested in making money as fast as they can than they are supporting employees or even clients for that matter. Over the past 12 months things have gotten exponentially worse and department managers are abandoning ship. I referred someone here and feel terrible for it. My manager threatened to not allow anyone to take vacation time because others weren't volunteering to cover for them, come in on days off, or work extra hours. Departments are stretched thin to increase corporate profits, resulting in poor client experiences, leaving you in the middle of it all.

Pay attention to the people on the ground level who are actually doing the work that pay your salary. Read a book on ethics and put some procedures in place. This is a law suit waiting to happen. Treat employees fairly across the board and stop playing favorites. Stop adding clients when there are no employees to do the work, and pay your employees what they deserve, because if it wasn't for us, you wouldn't have a paycheck.

Great company that treats it's employees well

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Taos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great projects and lots of training and technical exchange opportunities

Cons

Possible dry spell with no income 'on the bench' I wasn't able to risk the financial burden.

Wasted Talent - Disposable Employees

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Boise, ID

I worked at Taos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Benefits
    People I worked with were nice (At least non-managers)
    Broad customer base offers opportunities to learn a lot of different technologies

Cons

In the 1 1/2 years I worked as a Help Desk Analyst (Started at the beginning of the Boise office.), I offered my talents as a software engineer, an IT Professional, and a windows system administrator. Not once (even when there were only 4 people on staff) did anyone take advantage of my skills. I even went out of my way to write processes, and develop software to help the service desk be more efficient, and my hard work was pushed aside. I received ZERO recognition for all of that work, and when it came to congratulating everyone for their hard work, I was not even an honorable mention.

Treat people with heart, not like a warm body. Recognize people's achievements. Step up the product offerings to be more than what everyone else offers, instead of just meeting the status quo. People I still talk to in the community at Taos, say it has gotten worse by leaps and bounds. This makes me sad for them that they have not found an escape yet.

Top Rated Consulting Firm

I have been working at Taos full-time

Pros

Very well known consulting firm in the Bay Area. Known for providing high quality super star System and network Admistrator as short term contractors

Cons

there are really no downsides to working for taos that i can come up with, i guess the main pain is filling out a weekly time sheet but thats with any contracting firm

pay your contractor employees just a tad more

inconsistent

I worked at Taos

Pros

Taos benefits are good and fair.

Cons

no processes in place for most anything.

Hire back the VP's that left

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Taos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to find projects for their employees
    The way employees are treated

Cons

Benefits could be improved to suit the industry standards

Chaotic

Former Employee - Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Taos as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

HR department was good, they did everything quickly that they were supposed to do. Some of the work was interesting.

Cons

Abysmal communication with remote employees. Decisions would be made and the information not passed along. Project was managed on a "volunteer" basis, with tasks just tossed out to the group with no individual accountability. The result was an unbalanced mix of slackers/incompetents with overworked/talented people. Encouraged to work overtime without reporting it, without coming with out and saying it. Management didn't listen to the employees who knew what they were doing. Letting complex tasks go until the last minute and thus making it impossible to do a good job in a timely manner, was the norm here. Poor reading comprehension my management; ask 3 detailed questions in an email, receive one vague answer. Management continually bluffed when they did not know the answer to a question, confusing employees and confounding those who know BS when they see it. Avoid.

Check out some of these surveys and take the arrogance down a notch. You aren't really all that great and good people just use this job as a temporary stopgap.

Great experiences with some exciting new companies

Current Employee - Senior Desktop Support in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Desktop Support in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chances to work with some new and exciting companies, Free in house training is a great way to increase your skills.

Cons

Being off assignment with no pay is pretty tough