Taos Reviews

1. Excellent Company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Taos

Pros

Lots of training, offered excellent access to technologies, environments, professional grow. Great people!! I had excellent experience working for Taos.

Cons

Cons At the end of the day, you are a contractor

2. Not like it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Taos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work at different clients. In-house training available. Excellent benefits: medical coverage, paid vacation, sick days. Opportunity to work at big silicon valley companies that use lots of consultants.

Cons

When there is a difficult situation with a client, like the manager not really wanting to have a consultant from outside, they will just keep trying different consultants hoping to find one that the client will accept. This is an impossible situation for the consultant. No pay when "on the bench".

Advice to Management

Too many layers of management between the people doing the work and those lining up the assignments. Management quick to lay off workers that are not on assignment.

Political and over-extended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Taos

Pros

Has IT contracts for onsite jobs at many Bay Area companies, good information sharing and some training opportunities.

Cons

Very political, some project managers abusing the system. Hiring some very questionable people for IT work as long as they pass the security check, some quite unsuited for professional IT positions. Some hiring & firing done with personal bias, no oversight by HR.

Advice to Management

Watch your large-scale project managers and how they handle staffing issues and conflicts.

5. Linux Engineer

I have been working at Taos

Pros

25 years of access into awesome Bay Area tech companies. A place to come if you want to grow.

Cons

At the end of the day you are a contractor but it is an opportunity to touch many technologies and environments. A major resume builder.

6. The best consulting agency I've ever worked for

Current Employee - UNIX/Linux Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - UNIX/Linux Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Taos culture is amazing, and it really shows in the way they treat their consultants. Their TIV (Technical Interview) process is VERY thorough, and will delve into every nook and cranny of your skills and expertise; it isn't just a baseline academic knowledge/trivia interview, Taos really ensures that their consultants know their stuff. This is a huge benefit to you as a consultant, because it makes the interview / hiring process relatively seamless. Taos also employs Engagement Managers which manage a handful of clients and consultants in a given area who acts as an intermediary between Taos, the consultant, and the client. Having an issue with the client? Talk to your Engagement Manager. It avoids the awkwardness of having to confront the client you're contracting for when issues arise and also REALLY helps cut through office politics which can stifle work. The benefits are on-par with Silicon Valley. Great medical, dental, and vision, 401k, and lots of PTO. One of the things I really like is that you don't max-out on PTO; as long as you accrue it it's yours to use. I've been consulting with Taos for almost 3 years now, and I have to say that hands down they are the best consulting agency I have ever worked for.

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still contracting / consulting work. Consulting is great for the type of person that always likes to have something new to work on and is excited for change. While Taos does everything it can to make sure you are consistently employed, they are still at the mercy of the market. If, for whatever reason, one assignment ends and they don't have your next one lined up for you, you will be without a job (and if you don't have the PTO accrued to cover the down time, that means you're also without a paycheck). During these instances Taos covers your benefits, which, admittedly, is a huge relief. Thankfully, these instances are rare, but they DO happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Not a real consultancy

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to have a good client base. The interview process focuses more on tangible skills versus resume. You get to work with good competent team members.

Cons

It's too much about $$$ for them. The account managers, engagement managers, recruiters look at you like a walking money bag. They will cut you whenever convenient. They market themselves as offering a fulltime salary, which gets you to lower your price point, but when the job is over you don't get paid.....just like an hourly contract. They can make arrangements to pay you for bench time, but they only do that if it's likely that you won't be on the bench very long. Even if they do agree to pay you for bench time, it's only good for about a month or 2 and then you're cut. Plus, they have this old school system with sick days, which you lose once the job is over. I recommend negotiating a rate as if this were a regular contract, don't trust the recruiter or other managers and use your sick days.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the terms and limits of the compensation. Own up to the fact that you're not much more than a contracting firm like so many of the body shops in the bay area.

In short, this is the worst management that I have worked for in my entire lifetime (spanning 12+ companies).

Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Boise, ID

I worked at Taos

Pros

The office is spacious enough.

Cons

Local management. I believe that the only reason why the rating is a solid 3 is because I suspect recruiters are filling in fake reviews when needed.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the management you are putting in place below you.

9. Old timer ( last year NOT 2011 but had to choose something )

I worked at Taos

Pros

Taos used to be a good place to work ( Unix S/A for seven years ). In the old days, you were paid to be "on the beach" ( now called bench) at full pay. Once I was on it for an entire month. Benefits were excellent including continuing education( $2500 year for classes/books ). Pay was competitive( and could actually be superior) once you knew the score and demanded it. The work environments were generally good, and the clients respected you. Ah, the good old days!

Cons

You had to fight to get paid what you were worth( looks like you still have to ). I remember accidentally finding out that a co-worker was making $15 (!) and hour more then I was , and I was the project lead! Needless to say I had a chat with Ric on that score and magically my pay went up. The "inbred" management structure has been endemic to Taos for a very long time, if your one of the "chosen" your golden, otherwise... Sad to hear how much things seem to have changed for the worse.

Advice to Management

Turn back the clock.

10. Great for SysAdmins (primarily for Unix admins)

I have been working at Taos

Pros

Sales staff to assist in getting next gig high success for SysAdmins (Unix primary; Mac/Windows secondary); Top pay due to ability to earn for every hour worked (flat time) staff aug has built in holiday, vacation, and sick pay

Cons

still a staffing agency at it's heart; limited FTE roles outside of managed services business.

Advice to Management

build a bench bank for consultants and match it to cover down periods; Match should increase with years with company.

I helped put together a budget plan for the IT redesign that was needed for the company that was about to go public.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Taos

Pros

Onboarding was professional. Projects were interesting. It was a great learning experience being paired up with other professionals that had IT expertise in total system redesign and infrastructure.

Cons

Working with multiple consultants posed challenges in orchestrating productive meetings that all could attend.

RSS Feed </> Embed