Taos Reviews

Ric Urrutia

1. devops engineer

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time

Pros

* provides the benefits like others, 401k, health, commute reimbursement, etc. * in-house training class offers * employee community network for IT questions and answers

Cons

* The fact is consultant service based on work hours. if you do not like to pay with hour rate, then switch to FTE.

Advice to Management

no comment

The Art Of Saving and not compensating employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Taos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the product can be fun to present

Cons

repetitive.Goals too ridiculous. Not enough new product development or marketing

Advice to Management

Too demanding and out of touch

3. HR SUCKS; demands irrationally large amounts of background info, outs your embarrassing secrets within the department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Taos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of good engineers, good resources, good pay. If you know your stuff, they might even hire you "on bench", meaning they'll pay you even when you are between client assignments.

Cons

Charges ridiculous amounts of money to its clients. Makes false promises (e.g. that you will be placed on a client site in a timely manner) and never delivers. Because clients pay a ridiculous amount of money, clients tend to be EXTREMELY demanding (I once had to take an application exam that took almost all takers 1-2 DAYS just to TALK to a client). And then there's their HR department. They have apparently hired one person whose SOLE JOB it is to JUST process background checks. This seems bizarre, until you realise how MUCH information they demand. They have an apparently standardised form wherein they demand seven YEARS of your job history, seven YEARS of your *ADDRESS* history (WTF?), et cetera. In my case, they demanded a copy of my High School diploma-- from 18 years ago. (I have 15 YEARS of experience in the IT field; I am not certain how relevant my diploma is.) I also happen to be transgender / transsexual. After explaining that my resume would be in a different name (i.e., a name from the "opposite sex"), and that I find the situation EMBARRASSING and prefer not to even speak of the name on the phone, their HR drone called me to talk about this very embarrassing subject. This was after THREE TIMES coming back to me demanding more and more documentation to prove my identity/work history. I did not take it very well, needless to say. Truth be told, I nearly had a breakdown on the phone with the background check specialist lady. In response, she outed the whole situation to her boss, the head of HR, even after I SPECIFICALLY asked her to NOT discuss my past medical history (i.e. the embarrassing fact that I am transgender) with anyone else in the company. Her boss took her side and treated me in an incredibly patronising manner. I walked. Never again.

Advice to Management

Read a book on sensitivity training for LGBT issues.

5. Not like it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Taos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work at different clients. In-house training available. Excellent benefits: medical coverage, paid vacation, sick days. Opportunity to work at big silicon valley companies that use lots of consultants.

Cons

When there is a difficult situation with a client, like the manager not really wanting to have a consultant from outside, they will just keep trying different consultants hoping to find one that the client will accept. This is an impossible situation for the consultant. No pay when "on the bench".

Advice to Management

Too many layers of management between the people doing the work and those lining up the assignments. Management quick to lay off workers that are not on assignment.

6. Excellent Company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of training, offered excellent access to technologies, environments, professional grow. Great people!! I had excellent experience working for Taos.

Cons

Cons At the end of the day, you are a contractor

Political and over-extended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Has IT contracts for onsite jobs at many Bay Area companies, good information sharing and some training opportunities.

Cons

Very political, some project managers abusing the system. Hiring some very questionable people for IT work as long as they pass the security check, some quite unsuited for professional IT positions. Some hiring & firing done with personal bias, no oversight by HR.

Advice to Management

Watch your large-scale project managers and how they handle staffing issues and conflicts.

8. Linux Engineer

Pros

25 years of access into awesome Bay Area tech companies. A place to come if you want to grow.

Cons

At the end of the day you are a contractor but it is an opportunity to touch many technologies and environments. A major resume builder.

9. The best consulting agency I've ever worked for

Current Employee - UNIX/Linux Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - UNIX/Linux Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Taos culture is amazing, and it really shows in the way they treat their consultants. Their TIV (Technical Interview) process is VERY thorough, and will delve into every nook and cranny of your skills and expertise; it isn't just a baseline academic knowledge/trivia interview, Taos really ensures that their consultants know their stuff. This is a huge benefit to you as a consultant, because it makes the interview / hiring process relatively seamless. Taos also employs Engagement Managers which manage a handful of clients and consultants in a given area who acts as an intermediary between Taos, the consultant, and the client. Having an issue with the client? Talk to your Engagement Manager. It avoids the awkwardness of having to confront the client you're contracting for when issues arise and also REALLY helps cut through office politics which can stifle work. The benefits are on-par with Silicon Valley. Great medical, dental, and vision, 401k, and lots of PTO. One of the things I really like is that you don't max-out on PTO; as long as you accrue it it's yours to use. I've been consulting with Taos for almost 3 years now, and I have to say that hands down they are the best consulting agency I have ever worked for.

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still contracting / consulting work. Consulting is great for the type of person that always likes to have something new to work on and is excited for change. While Taos does everything it can to make sure you are consistently employed, they are still at the mercy of the market. If, for whatever reason, one assignment ends and they don't have your next one lined up for you, you will be without a job (and if you don't have the PTO accrued to cover the down time, that means you're also without a paycheck). During these instances Taos covers your benefits, which, admittedly, is a huge relief. Thankfully, these instances are rare, but they DO happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Not a real consultancy

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Taos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to have a good client base. The interview process focuses more on tangible skills versus resume. You get to work with good competent team members.

Cons

It's too much about $$$ for them. The account managers, engagement managers, recruiters look at you like a walking money bag. They will cut you whenever convenient. They market themselves as offering a fulltime salary, which gets you to lower your price point, but when the job is over you don't get paid.....just like an hourly contract. They can make arrangements to pay you for bench time, but they only do that if it's likely that you won't be on the bench very long. Even if they do agree to pay you for bench time, it's only good for about a month or 2 and then you're cut. Plus, they have this old school system with sick days, which you lose once the job is over. I recommend negotiating a rate as if this were a regular contract, don't trust the recruiter or other managers and use your sick days.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the terms and limits of the compensation. Own up to the fact that you're not much more than a contracting firm like so many of the body shops in the bay area.

In short, this is the worst management that I have worked for in my entire lifetime (spanning 12+ companies).

Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Service Desk Technician in Boise, ID

Pros

The office is spacious enough.

Cons

Local management. I believe that the only reason why the rating is a solid 3 is because I suspect recruiters are filling in fake reviews when needed.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the management you are putting in place below you.

RSS Feed </> Embed