Tapestry Solutions

Tapestry Solutions President Roy (Sam) DeFord

Roy (Sam) DeFord

Great company, bullied by Boeing

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company with great pay. They care about their employees

ConsThey were bought by Boeing and they have Boeing policies forced on them that make the workplace less enjoyable.

Great for College Students

Test and Evaluation Engineer Part Time (Current Employee)
San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, able to come in whenever you want, relaxed atmosphere

Consrepetitive work but it's not too bad

Advice to Senior ManagementPay testers more competitively

Great Company

Military Analyst (Current Employee)
Fort Lee, VA

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDynamic environment, good communication with emploees, employee centric company that continues to grow with various products.

ConsUpward mobility, interview process is painful, you may have to interview with three to five people for the job at the same time.

Challenging but rewarding in terms of bonus, flexibility, and respect

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tapestry Solutions

ProsGreat place for someone who loves challenging tasks in dynamic environment. Excellent VPN coupled with high performance Dell laptop enables you to work anywhere and anytime. They paid 100% of medical insurance. They had the end of year bonus as well as instance reward. Family like environment where everyone is helping each other. Wonderful year end party at a top hotel with unlimited drinks until 2:00am and a quest room, and so on.

ConsThey use their own proprietary kernel for software development which can kill your skill slowly over the time.

Company struggling to grow-up

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions

ProsThe people are great at Tapestry.

ConsThe company is facing more complex challenges than what the current leadership is capable of handling. They need to hire business leaders vs. their former buddies from the service. When they do that, they only add to the problems vs. lead us to a better place.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Sr. Leadership with past experience in performing the job vs. hiring your former buddy from the service.

Some good some bad

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions

ProsCo-workers are great and they teach you what you need to know.

ConsBad HR. No real communication between employees and managers

A unique place to work

Military Analyst (Current Employee)
Yorktown, VA

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions

ProsThe company has always postured itself to take advantage of growth and unique opportunities. The opportunity employees have to showcase their skills and potential is limitless, assuming they understand and take advantage of the role they play. For employees who go above and beyond, they are essentially self-managers who are not micromanaged. Tapestry has done a better job of screening new-hires, despite times when demand to fill positions was high. Overall, it is a great place to work if you know how to effectively contribute without any guidance.

ConsTo truly enjoy the working environment, you must me self-motivated and willing to embrace uncertainty. The only constant is change, and it is commonplace in Tapestry. There was a time when mentorship was abundant for new-hires, but many of the veteran employees have moved on as the culture of the company changed over the years. The biggest frustration is the lack of a recognized career path for younger/mid-level employees. Unless you are a real stand-out employee who makes it clear that upward mobility is your objective, then you will not be asked what path you prefer. Promotion comes by surprise or turnover. As others have posted, there are many managers who come straight from the uniform into a leadership position. This isn't entirely bad, but there ends up being a very rigid, military style of management that comes with it in most cases. There are some amazingly talented people in Tapestry that understand what it takes to properly support the customer and positively change the organization. But, when they leave or become overburdened, I fear a lot of cards will fall.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile contracting always has unpredictability, there must be an internal program of sorts that allows aspiring employees to participate in the 'business of the business'. A resume of education and field work is great, if you only aspire to be an educated field worker... If the next generation of leadership isn't groomed to lead, the positive culture of the organization will vanish very quickly.

Good Company

Field Support Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsVery military friendly. Good leadership

Conslimited locations in the US

Advice to Senior Managementgood job

Biggest small company

I have been working at Tapestry Solutions

ProsThere are a lot of new opportunities for success at Tapestry. Project work, long term careers, part time for college students and international jobs as well. Free sodas and snacks keeps morale as well as productivity healthy.

ConsMerging cultures from distinct business units across geographical boundaries has been challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people

Started great....ended not so well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tapestry Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay was good for position and within the industry. Co-workers always willing to lend a hand.

ConsNo career progression. No training or path for future within the company. Seems to be that corporate sets you up to stagnate at your current position.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining, training, training. Do not put someone in a postion unless you have a plan to help them succeed.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Tapestry Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tapestry Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tapestry Solutions CEO Roy (Sam) DeFord. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Tapestry Solutions employees.