Taproot Foundation

Add Photos

Aaron Hurst

Great Opportunity to Contribute to a Deserving Non-Profit

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood experience in working with teams, great processes and continues to refine them. Team members are enthusiastic.

ConsProjects never finish on schedule. Expect a project to go over the deadline. Also, occasional turnovers.

Great place to work

Account Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to work the full scope of your HR skills, meet new people, and give back at the same time.

ConsSometimes the blueprints do not match the project. I've learned that the blueprint is only a guide and that you can adapt the project guidelines as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. It's a great organization

Recruitment Associate

Recruitment Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEncouraging and supportive manager, playful professional atmosphere

ConsI can't really say much because I enjoyed my time at Taproot Foundation. But the only con I can think of was given my situation and role, I didn't get to spend as much time getting to know the only employees as much as I wish I could have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sharp, motivated group of professionals with big social sector goals.

ProsBeing at the very exciting intersection of for-profit and nonprofit; working with a great internal team; connecting with excellent partners; leading the field.

ConsLow salaries; too many goals; great disparity between roles but similar compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in fewer employees and reward the good ones more. You'll get more out of them.

Once in a lifetime opportunity to change the world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEntrepreneurial culture that rewards smart, driven people who don't take themselves too seriously. I was given substantial responsibility and access to leadership. It's a great place for early and mid career professionals.

ConsAs a nonprofit, the budget is reliant on fundraising which can limit growth or make it feel unstable at times. As a small organization, you may have to get creative to find growth opportunities.

Exceptional opportunity

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTaproot allows freedom for growth and creativity.

ConsI think the non-profits should get more detailed instructions to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great place for you to understand pro bono work

Recruitment Fellow (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPro Bono is a new and meaningful business

ConsSometime they get really slow down. Many targets unreached.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease efficiency!

Opportunity to Contribute

Pro Bono Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTaproot has provided a great opportunity to give back to the community. Having the ability to pick from a broad set of available projects based on my own interests make project experiences great. Flexible schedules make it easy to contribute.

Taproot projects also represent a strong networking opportunity. Finding like minded professionals is worth a lot.

ConsProject onboarding can be a little confusing. Initial project definition and scope runs the risk of creeping based on the needs to client. It is tempting to want to do more beyong the defined scope.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in the onboarding process (initial orientation) walking through the process of an actual project rather than just looking at the results.

Development Associate

Development Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsInnovative, fast-moving, supportive environment. A great organization to be introduced to philanthropy, nonprofit, and for-profit work. Potential to contribute to a large scale movement.

ConsMany different focuses and directions. High turnover. Average salary for a nonprofit.

Volunteer Pro-Bono Consultant Project Opportunities

Pro-Bono Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSelective application process leads to working with great, talented groups of consultants incl graduates from selective institutions and strong prof profiles. Organizational profile is strong. Projects are comprehensive and stimulating for those with business and consulting backgrounds. Offers reasonable sense of fulfillment in contributing toward deserving, reasonable causes.

ConsNon-Profits aren't always ready to submit sufficient information to make projects more practical and substantial. Sometimes non-profit contacts are too busy to be very responsive. Commitment by volunteers isn't always strong with some dropping out early causing disorganization. Taproot could promote itself more, as many employers don't recognize its reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave non-profits contribute more background and organizational info to analyze. Othwrwise, many of the analytical outcomes can be less focused/useful. Have volunteers recognize commitment such that if they incur 3+ 'drop-outs' in a, for example, 18 mo period, they should be suspended from future projects for at least 6-12 months.

Worked for Taproot Foundation? Contribute to the Community!