Target Reviews in Amsterdam, NY

8,214 Reviews
3.1
8,214 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work for a little extra part-time income in addition to another job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Target

Pros

Very friendly and clean environment. Managers are always involved with their employees and are likely to actually help out with employee tasks when they are not otherwise occupied.

Cons

Target tends to be very difficult to move around in (both horizontally and vertically) once one is employed. If you are someone who is thinking of applying to target, apply for a higher position to avoid any ceilings.

The most prevalent advice I would, and have, given to Target's leadership is that they should be a bit more open to employee ideas regarding ways to improve hourly-worker productivity--even if that means deviating slightly from their tightly-held best practices.

OK job to get through college

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

The hours are crappy, and vary greatly from week to week.

Target Distribution Center...Amsterdam NY

Current Employee - Wharehouse Worker  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Wharehouse Worker in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow employees....everyday people. The pay. The schedule.

Cons

Class warfare....management vs. non-management.

Extreamly physical job in the warehouse.

Working the week-end is Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.....12 hour shifts. Working during the week is Tuesday - Friday 10 hour shifts. Night shifts are also available.....

It's all about the "boxes" not the employees.

They preach safety, safety, safety.....yet if you get hurt...it's an interrogation ending with threats of getting a C.A. (Corrective Action) C.A.'s get you fired!

The GL's (Group leaders) can not be trusted. They don't even trust each other. I have personally heard them speak poorly about other gl's and...the senior gl. (Dave O.)

The GL's are young, inexperienced, cocky and conformists. And if you don't conform, or show your target colors....you will be gone.

I have a friend who is a GL, and he regularly tells me about their management meetings....and what "management" really thinks of the "labor". He is there for the paycheck....and when the time comes that he's not....then I will be free to share the stories and real feelings management has for the guys and girls in the trenches. I can not wait!!

Names and direct quotes coming soon!

Back to the safety issue.....I absolutely refuse to report any injuries. I recommend you don't either. They will absolutely hold it against you. I've cut myself with a razor blade, cut myself on a pallet, pulled muscles and twisted my ankle on a lift gate...reported none. I don't trust them. I've seen what they've done to other guys...and girls.

They put up a front that they are so concerned about you as an employee....it's a complete sham. They care only about the boxes going up the "mezz".

I could seriously go on and on....but it would just sound too much like an employee who is dissatisfied and angry who just wants to get even....it's not about getting even.

I'm just trying to give you a real idea of what it's like.

Listen, if you can handle busting your back, sacrificing your body, making $22 per hour, and not taking anything personally....meaning, swallowing your pride....then you can make it a go there.

You've been warned....don't blame anyone else for your decision.

My best advice....if you get a job there....talk to fellow employees. I would say that that 75%or more....hate their job. They stick for paycheck.

Learn to live below your means, so you're not living for the paycheck.

Don't trust anyone! (especially when you first start)

The GL.....is your "master". They have the "4 year college degree" which automatically makes them much, much smarter than you! Even if their degree is in.....drama, or education, (teacher) or anything else unrelated to.....business!

Actually, the truth be told, some of the smartest people working there, are throwing boxes.

In closing....don't be fooled by a smile....from the nurse, to security, to the human resourse department, to your own immediate boss, (GL's).....they are all about themselves first.

Don't trust anyone....choose your words carefully!

(Boy do I wish I could name "names".....)

That's funny,....like they would actually listen.

Oh wait, that's right......."you talk...we listen....things get done".

yeah right.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Headcount is Horrible

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Amsterdam, NY

I worked at Target

Pros

The benefits and every other weekend off is nice. Training was pretty good. The culture is good. Compensation was higher than average for the area.

Cons

They have a headcount that must be met within a short amount of time. Fire people for no reason. Horribly vindictive HR!

I could never be management here! My personal values do not align whatsoever with those of Target. I was so excited to become part of this company, only to find out they are shady and backstabbing.

Just okay.

Current Employee - Group Leader - DC  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Group Leader - DC in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Target

Pros

The GL team is great. Intelligent, hardworking individuals who want to move the company and building forward. Can sometimes get too caught up in the political drama that is VERY prevalent.

Cons

Senior management seems to only be interested in doing the least amount of work it takes to get themselves promoted. There is no leadership vision amongst the senior team and its created mixed messages and departments that think about themselves first as opposed to the fluid operations of the building. Compensation is okay at best. Recent increases and bonuses were insulting based on performance of our building.

Get a new group of seniors.

Target has been great to me!

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader  in  Amsterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Target

Pros

The culture that is created and upheld is very upbeat and friendly. I have been given more responsibility than I have had at any other job and I appreciate it. Each team member is held accountable for their actions and everyone is held to the same high standards.

Cons

The multi-tasking expectation is slightly intimidating, but I think that once you know your role and are giving the tools you need to succeed, then its all cake.

Not much! They have been very supportive in my development into an ETL. Just like in any business, their should be outstanding communication within management so no inconsistency is created.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!