Target

Target Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

80 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Overnight Experience

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overnight, Not a hassle, Easy workflow, Great team members and Team Leaders

Cons

May have limited hours during certain times of the season

It is really dependent on your attachment, hard work, and diligence towards progressing

Working to regain reputation and stay competitive but at the expense of the store level employees

I have been working at Target

Pros

I work as an Executive Team Lead over Logistics at the store level. I'm currently job searching and plan on leaving Target in the near future, however, I feel that I can still provide unbias accurate information for anyone looking to apply for any of the ETL positions at the store level.
    Disclaimer: Your experience with Target as an ETL will weigh heavily upon the quality of your STL and DTL (store manager and then their manager who is your district manager). I experienced a perfect Target cookie cut STL and I experienced an STL who really didn't fit the Target "Fast, fun, and friendly" motto. I would say maybe 2 out of every 10 or 11 STLs may be a bad apple. The majority of STLs I have met throughout my time with Target have the same goals, background, and frustrations as their ETLs do and they are right there in the middle of it all with you doing whatever they can to develop you and make it work one way or another. (Pro #1 is great leadership and wonderful inspiring and diverse people to work for most of the time)

Pro #2 Target is always making the right decisions for Target
    Pre data breach and post data breach show completely different Targets. I was there to see both as well as the time period during the craziness right before Christmas of 2013 when the news broke and guests were literally freaking out. Point is, Target was a really enjoyable place to work until the data breach. Post data breach (here is the pro), Target did everything right. They made some tough but necessary decisions to get their reputation back in order. They haven't stopped there. Target has more and more roll outs every month and every quarter that is going to take them to that next level in retail. (Ex: they just rolled out 25$ free shipping down from 50$)
    They have implemented new processes, concepts, metrics, and best practices that will grow the number of guests and grow sales over the next few years. Here is where they're missing the mark-- Current employees from the typical hourly team member to the store manager can figure out how the heck to do it all with the payroll and staffing limitations that Target is giving.

Cons

I guess I will move into Cons because I was starting to get into the territory above...Yes businesses must cut costs and increase revenue, this was understandable for maybe 6 months to a year after the data breach, but it has been taken much farther and Target employees are feeling hopeless. The great thing about Target employees is we WANT TO SUCCEED AND WE WANT TARGET TO SUCCEED. When we work so hard to complete our job duties according to Target's best practice and even the best of the best can't succeed due to having to clock out in order to maintain store payroll, it starts to feel impossible. In one of my district meetings for the ETL Logistics managers about a month ago someone actually asked our district manager if they had ever had a store that consistently made payroll in logistics (truck unload, backroom, facility maintenance, pricing, and presentation) We all were silent and so curious and his answer was, yes, one. I had one store make payroll consistently under this one manager.

Long story short: Target is losing quality managers and fast. We cannot work 60-70 hour weeks trying to maintain Target brand standards and best practices because the payroll given to hourly team members is not enough to cover even half of the expectations. We are tired, exhausted, overwhelmed, and feeling defeated just like our team.

Store management, team leaders, and team members are working hard with what we have. Corporate needs to come into these stores and actually spend a week woking 10-14 hour days doing hourly work that cannot be covered payroll wise AND complete all management duties and workload. They also should have to write a schedule to complete the workload for a given week and then see how ridiculously off it is compared to best practices.

Sr. Team Leader

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target have great benefits and the culture is amazing. They also have tuition reimbursement for team leaders who are going to school.

Cons

The development of leaders is poor due to new managers who are recruited into the company with no experience. Tenure leaders who have been with the company have a hard time being promoted after reaching this position.

Promote more within the company, especially tenure leaders.

Managers engage in employee personal business to much

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Convenient location and good hours. Discount was cool

Cons

Worst management team ever! Messy and lazy management

Fire them all

Overall great experince

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target

Pros

Flexible schedule, motivated managers, great atmosphere

Cons

Standing for long hours, having to persuade guest to buy red cards card be tough

Flow Team Member

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great morning/over night Part-Time Job
    Encourages Teamwork

Cons

The Management can tend to lose touch when communicating with lower level workers.
    The Management, in many cases, doesn't seem to be considerate of employees' well being.

Leaders need to be attentive to how they work together and communicate more often with their subordinates. This will build moral between your Team Members as well as encourage them to be faithful. Take care of your soldiers so they can take care of you.

Cashier

Current Employee - Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are nice
    I got a $1 raise from $7.75 to $8.75 after working there for a year, which still isn't very much
    They sometimes reward you for getting a guest to sign up for RedCard, and a mean a big SOMETIMES.
    They leave food out for us sometimes too randomly. Like snacks or lunch.

Cons

Random hours. Can't really schedule things around your work hours because they are never the same every week.
    low pay
    unorganized at times
    Cross train you but you wont get a raise for it
    They hound you about getting Red cards.
    You don't get your breaks as scheduled on the paper

Let up a little in the cashiers. They get paid the least of the people in the store and and to the same amount of work as most people in the other sections.

Good COmpany

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexiable work hours, decent atmosphere, not commission based and decent people

Cons

long work hours, sometimes customers get on your nerves

increase salary

Great for training and development.
    Target spends lots of time focusing on the growth and development of their team.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience and training for leadership team.

Cons

Work-Life balance for store leadership.

"Builds great leaders"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for many retailers, Target is very innovative and there training program is one of the best I've seen. Work life balance is better than most retailers I've seen.

Cons

Company will fire the weakest link.