Target Reviews in California

8,137 Reviews

3.1
8,137 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

751 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Average pay for students, but not for a full-time job

Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy environment and tasks, you get a raise every year, and jobs skills required are minimum. The easiest retail store to work in.

Cons

They can throw you around many departments and demand that you cross-train for them. You might be doing Cashier or Guest Service, then Food Cafe the next day, then Sales Floor, but they RARELY give you a raise for working these different departments. Only if you are "scheduled there for more than 50% of your shifts", which they sneak around and try not to let happen. You end up being tossed around and have your skills used in many areas with no compensation.

-Raise is very minimal each year. Only 10-25 cents on average. Only good for temporary student jobs.
    -Your hours are NOT fixed. It's random every week with the availability frame you put in. Sometimes they
    -Since the tasks are so easy to do, it becomes extremely boring over time and your shifts can go by really slowly.
    -They expect cashiers to sign up customers for the target credit card, but we get no commission for anything for it.

Raise the wage.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Management and co-workers are good.

Cons

Demanding long hours in which a lot of stable hours are necessary

Stay chill

Target truly is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work for a company that is focused on your growth and development, Target is the company for you. Target promotes a fast, fun, and friendly environment. All Leaders are given the tools they need to succeed. Leadership is focused on collaboration, accountability, communication, and promoting a great culture and people like working for the company.

Cons

If you are working for the stores, you need to be prepared to work nights and weekends and on holidays.

My advice would be to be sure to hold leaders accountable to the Target culture, team, and ensure everyone is promoting the Target brand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great First Job

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Supervisors and fellow team members were very friendly and understanding. They knew this was my first job, and they were always willing to help me out whenever necessary. The training was comprehensive and prepared me well for the work.

Cons

Working holidays, just as in any retail job, was a nightmare! However, though I didn't stay long, it would have taken me a long time I think to earn a promotion. My direct supervisor had worked with Target for 6 years at 3 different stores; maybe it was a unique case, but if it took that long to move one rung up, I would have been frustrated after a few years.

It was a very pleasurable experience.

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member  in  Norco, CA
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Norco, CA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Pay, Benefits and hours were very good especially when compared to other companies like this one.

Cons

Some of the other people there were a bit immature but otherwise was a very good company to work for.

hardlines

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  La Habra, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in La Habra, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fast fun friendly and talkative

Cons

consumables and cash register time off

Target work experience

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for school, or if you need a quick job. They're always hiring, well that's great right?! Why though? Because everyone is always quitting.

You'll probably get the hours you want, you just gotta make sure to reinforce them with your boss.

Cons

The company and bosses overwork you for minimum wage, and expect everything to be done extremely fast. This is all while you're doing customer service and helping others find what they need. You're worked like a horse, and they clock watch you and will tell you what to do immediately before you go to break, or even during the break! Sometimes you gotta wonder what upper management has taught the store leaders and such about how to treat their employees below them.

Need to realize we're human beings. We need our breaks too, just like anyone else. Teach management a much more friendly appropriate manner of how to instruct their crew.

My experience with Target has been an okay one, however My current boss is driving me into the ground.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and health benefits.

Cons

No work life balance and Culture changes from store to store.

It's retail

Former Employee - GSA  in  Pleasant Hill, CA
    Former Employee - GSA in Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's better than working at Wal-Mart

Cons

Very low pay, but hey, you're working a retail job. This isn't supposed to support a family (unless you're management)

It could have been better.

Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member  in  Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Capitola, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun team members. I love the vibe I got from my coworkers. The store was bright and very clean and things were easy to find.

Cons

The ETLs didn't care if you were sick, they made you feel guilty for calling off. They don't like people that work less than 20 hours a week. Too demanding.

I wish they would understand that some people that work at Target part time have a life outside of work. We have school and other obligations.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!