Target Reviews in California

8,097 Reviews

3.1
8,097 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

744 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Average pay for students, but not for a full-time job

Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy environment and tasks, you get a raise every year, and jobs skills required are minimum. The easiest retail store to work in.

Cons

They can throw you around many departments and demand that you cross-train for them. You might be doing Cashier or Guest Service, then Food Cafe the next day, then Sales Floor, but they RARELY give you a raise for working these different departments. Only if you are "scheduled there for more than 50% of your shifts", which they sneak around and try not to let happen. You end up being tossed around and have your skills used in many areas with no compensation.

-Raise is very minimal each year. Only 10-25 cents on average. Only good for temporary student jobs.
    -Your hours are NOT fixed. It's random every week with the availability frame you put in. Sometimes they
    -Since the tasks are so easy to do, it becomes extremely boring over time and your shifts can go by really slowly.
    -They expect cashiers to sign up customers for the target credit card, but we get no commission for anything for it.

Raise the wage.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Management and co-workers are good.

Cons

Demanding long hours in which a lot of stable hours are necessary

Stay chill

Target truly is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work for a company that is focused on your growth and development, Target is the company for you. Target promotes a fast, fun, and friendly environment. All Leaders are given the tools they need to succeed. Leadership is focused on collaboration, accountability, communication, and promoting a great culture and people like working for the company.

Cons

If you are working for the stores, you need to be prepared to work nights and weekends and on holidays.

My advice would be to be sure to hold leaders accountable to the Target culture, team, and ensure everyone is promoting the Target brand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great First Job

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Supervisors and fellow team members were very friendly and understanding. They knew this was my first job, and they were always willing to help me out whenever necessary. The training was comprehensive and prepared me well for the work.

Cons

Working holidays, just as in any retail job, was a nightmare! However, though I didn't stay long, it would have taken me a long time I think to earn a promotion. My direct supervisor had worked with Target for 6 years at 3 different stores; maybe it was a unique case, but if it took that long to move one rung up, I would have been frustrated after a few years.

It was a very pleasurable experience.

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member  in  Norco, CA
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Norco, CA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Pay, Benefits and hours were very good especially when compared to other companies like this one.

Cons

Some of the other people there were a bit immature but otherwise was a very good company to work for.

hardlines

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  La Habra, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in La Habra, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fast fun friendly and talkative

Cons

consumables and cash register time off

Very good, young staff very entergictic

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

chill job, talk to guests and collect payment. not much pressure and usually shorter shifts

Cons

weekend work, red cards, hours

communication,

Cashier "Team Member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pico Rivera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pico Rivera, CA

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

SOME friendly coworkers. great benefits after you pass three month period.

Cons

The push to always convince "guests" to apply for the credit/debt red card. The long hours. The face that you HAVE to be in the same spot for hours. The fact that you're scolded if you even speak to another coworker even if its just for help. bad pay.

Be nicer. Be more approachable and stop pushing employees so hard on red cards.

Good for first job out of college... But retail in general sucks!!!!

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing management development and experience if retail management is your professional goal. Pay and benefits are the best I have heard of for retail! Schedule is not so bad as they allow every other weekend off which is rare for retail.

Great for your résumé... Put in one year to 18 months and any job will hire

Cons

Company keeps restructuring and basically doubling your core roles and workload. Staff payroll has been cut so badly that you spend most of your day doing what part time team members do... Pushing merchandise to salesfloor and ringing up guests. Retail in general sucks... Shift times suck and you're always tired bc you work until midnight some days and have to come in at 4am or 6am other days.

Hard work does not get you promoted. The loudest and biggest song and dance leaders get promoted...

Stop cutting payroll. The store will only have 3 cashiers at a time during the day when they should have 6... So the Guests complain bc they have to wait in lines. Your solution to that is to make salesfloor team members respond to registers to help the guests that are waiting in line... Then guests complain that no one helped them on the salesfloor. It makes no sense... Guests leave annoyed and your other solution of having a friendly cashier doesn't fix that...

only good if you dont have a life or want to move up

Former Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

none that I can think of...

Cons

must work more than 24 hours a week to receive benefits
    hardly any job postings for other departments
    the turnover for managers and HR is very high
    managers are hired off of the streets and are between 18-25 years old and have no clue about retail and how to run a store.
    customers can be very disrespectful, throwing things and cussing at associates. Management does nothing to back you up. Neither does the store security.
    I worked there for over 3 years and only got a $.33 cent raise on the last month I worked there. They base it on how well the whole store does on their yearly reviews.
    not very good on working with your schedule, especially if your going to school a couple times a week. I had to quit school after a few months after they said they approved of me having a few hours in the morning off twice a week. They still scheduled me and I had to call out or not show up.
    No full time work available for anyone.

they have a lot to work on!

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!