Target

www.target.com

Target Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 17, 2014

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"(in 230 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters(in 662 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations(in 512 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions(in 648 reviews)

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales floor team member

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat stepping stone, great culture and environment. Creates a real team aspect, employees are very welcoming and friendly.

ConsLow pay and personal growth. Few opportunities to take on leadership roles and responsibilities. Repetitive not much variety in the work day.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow entry level employees to have more responsibilities and higher level job duties

TPS

TPS (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun workplace, rewarding work. Team oriented

ConsHard to advance, typical corporate BS with management

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

receiver

Receiver/Backroom (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood hours and good people

Conscommunication between regular workers and management pay is awful considering you are responsible for a lot of merchandise that comes in the store

Advice to Senior Managementhave consideration for regular workers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The resources are endless

Team Leader - Logistics (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe on-going training was awesome. We were able to visit other stores, visit district offices and speak with management about our opportunities.

ConsThe downside is typical- retail hours and turnover. For some of your goals and objectives, having such a high turnover presented challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time "on the floor" and building bridges and allies with the team members, they know more than us managers at times. If they are motivated, the team is more productive and sees their value and role in the customer experience.

Great company to work for

Flow Team Member (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDid not have to deal with customers much as we were closed most of my shift. PTO.

ConsManagement needed to stop showing so much favoritism to its older employees and treating the newbs like garbage.

Target is an AMAZING company to launch your career and grow as a leader.

Executive Team Leader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture of Target is fast, fun, and friendly and you are given more opportunities and responsibilities to grow and develop than any other company.

ConsWork/Life balance is never easy in retail.. I do feel that Target does everything they can to accommodate this however the store is still open Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving day.. someone has to be there!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your development programs and keep pushing to retain great talent and amazing leaders!

Overall pretty good experience

Target Store Team Leader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible scheduling, premier in the retail industry, company truly does focus on development. Total compensation can be very lucrative, the higher you move up.

ConsWork/Life balance has declined recently as the challenges of the retail industry has become more evident. The largest expense in just about any company is payroll, but sometimes not having the adequate amount of payroll adds to the stress of management and makes work/life balance impossible as excess workload is left to "salaried" management to take on. This makes it somewhat difficult to "lead" when there is no one left to lead but yourself...

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Target continues to make its mark as the preferred shopping destination, ensure not to burn out the team by cutting expenses (payroll) too thin. The very thing that sets Target apart from competition requires the "people" to be there to do it. Be a little more realistic with expectations. Although setting the bar high is definitely necessary and expected, be sure to maintain some level of reality of what you are asking from your team. Don't lose sight on the "team". This is what has made Target strong in the past and what will prove to aide to the company's continued success.

Great leadership development, but could use more support payroll wise.

Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey really take an interest in your personal development, developing your business acumen and your leadership style.
    I enjoyed rolling out new initiatives in the store, it really aided in my development.
    I loved the flexibility to make it right for a guest, made dealing with difficult situations much easier.
    My STL really valued work/life balance, which was one of my concerns taking a management role in retail.

ConsDepending on the size of your store, the amount of payroll to spend could be barely enough to scrape by.
    Most of the bad parts of working at Target are the same as any other retail company (angry guests, hectic holidays, working weekends)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allocate more payroll dollars to smaller stores, it would improve the brand of the store and keep the Team Members happy.

Executive Summer Internship

Extended Executive Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA kit if hands on experience, learning proper communication, management, planning, and situation based skills. Pays really well and you stay pretty busy. Not a dull day really. The team and work environment is very welcoming.

ConsCompany does not like it when you work overtime. Sometimes the job can be really stressful. You will occasionally will need to demonstrate courage and not be afraid to confront a team member or guest that is behaving inappropriately. Sometimes the job is too serious. You will occasionally see ETLs who are very lazy while others who are active.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll managers should have a unified working routine. Not as many ETLs work as hard as the next. Employee firing should be much easier because it becomes distasteful when you see those types of employee who just do not have the heart for the job.

Good development!

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDevelopment, salary, coworkers, learn a lot

ConsWork/life balance, stress, culture can be awful

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!