Target Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

1. Target backroom

Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Shorewood, IL
    Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Shorewood, IL

Pros

Flexible hours, competitive pay. Target also values their workers( for the most part) especially when it comes to HR and sometimes management

Cons

Closing can mean that you would be short handed, which can be stressful at times. Holiday time means highly unlikely to request off

2. Depends on your location

Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Hardlines Team Member in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This entire review will come from the location that I currently work at: - Great team environment - Friendly co-workers - The leadership is usually very understanding of one's circumstance - Fast work environment never any dull moments - Target tends to promote from within, have a great attitude and you can work your way up! - If you want to, you have the ability to maintain a social life - Make acquaintance, relationships in Target gives you somewhat of a social life

Cons

- There are times where there is no flexibility in scheduling - Sometimes getting scheduled when you've requested off, LOA, or on vacation - This is recent but not calling a team member to check on why they are not in the store yet, but it is understandable because it is your responsibility. This isn't high school. - PAY - Hours are a bit wonky and benefits are non-existent for the most part if you're not in a leadership role - Depending on hours you may not have a social life - Some policies are frustrating to deal with - Some guests (customers) can be pains in the rear

3. pretty good, but please work on honesty

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Target are great. They are always willing to help each other and try to build a sense of community within their workers.

Cons

Because of fluctuating hours, paying rent for an apartment in Naperville is difficult. It is necessary to cross-train, but those opportunities may only last for a few weeks. I can't tell you the number of times I've been scheduled for 4.5 hours then asked to stay a little longer, but actually they mean another 2 or 3 hours. The problem is that if you're scheduled for 4.5 hours, you don't get a lunch and I don't bring one. So when you ask me to stay and get paid another $18 dollars, but have no lunch or must buy a lunch in store, I have trouble understanding if you just don't respect me or if you really think paying me $20 to stay later than scheduled is worth it.

Advice to Management

Please be more honest about your expectations for opportunities to cross train employees. I understand retail is all about driving sales, but if you expect somebody to work more than 3 hours above what they are scheduled, then maybe the person who does scheduling needs to be coached. I understand that we hope to get so much work done in a specific amount of time, but when you make that goal but once a week, we must reevaluate leadership's expectations.

5. Maintenance Mechanic DC

Former Employee - Mechanic in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Mechanic in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, adequate benefits, nice people and good culture.

Cons

Extremely poor and lazy management. Extremely poor training, management does not want to take no part in what goes on with mechanic training. Senior mechanics withhold information and materials.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced group leaders

6. etl

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader-food in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader-food in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

401K, Pay, Discount, Time Off

Cons

Holidays, Weekends, difficult to grow at management level if your store is red. work depends on that of peers and boss.

Advice to Management

help with development

7. Great company to give your life to

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Meet awesome people in the process of doing your job. Management is a great place to be in

Cons

No work life balance. I worked over 80 hours a week while my STL would leave before 4 every day. The store would be struggling and he would make a list of what to do and then go do his thing outside Target.

Advice to Management

Please place more emphasis on the work life balance portion of the job. It's preached but not followed.

8. Good Company

Former Employee - Target Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great co-workers and fun environment.

Cons

Need to take a closer look at the work culture and more benefits.

9. Review

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Great Lakes, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Great Lakes, IL

I have been working at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and helpful team members.

Cons

no cons to working here.

10. Former Team Leader

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The other team member where great. Target actively promotes current team members.

Cons

Pay is low for the demands made from management. Corporate is putting intense pressure on stores to increase sales and this has put new pressure and stress on every employee, especially store management. Unfortunately, upper management demands a taking good team members aways from the guests and forcing them to focal on silly forms and tasks.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

11. Sales floor

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Glenview, IL

Pros

ten percent off store discount

Cons

working a really fast pace

Showing 395 of 13,343 reviews