Target

Target Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.2 7,688 reviews

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"(in 230 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters(in 662 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations(in 512 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions(in 648 reviews)

7,688 Employee Reviews

Nice Part-Time Flexibility & Culture

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsI needed a second job a few years ago to supplement my primary job through the recession. Target gave me the flexibility to fit a part time position into my life. I was able to transfer easily when I moved out of state. I've met some nice co-workers, the culture is nice, the technology is user friendly and the team member discount helps with life. Good reviews if you work hard and do a quality job.

ConsCan be tough working nights, weekends and holidays. Had to start at minimum wage even though I was an experienced worker with prior retail and service industry experience. A starting wage higher than minimum would have been classy. I have worked hard, been flexible and have gone the extra mile. This did earn me really good reviews and solid raises. At my location, staffing has been cutback which puts stress on team members and reduces the service level for guests. Not sure if this is a result company wide of stock price dip following the data breach and CEO departure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOS system is user friendly but needs to be advanced so cashiers can improve the guest experience. Start seasoned new hires off slightly hire than minimum wage. Costco and Lowe's does this, why not you? Corporate and store executives benefit by all of the Red Cards and Service Plans that hourly workers sign on. The pat on the back is nice but how about paying a small bonus as a reward?

Trying to catch up...

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWork Life Balance, Culture, Training, Relocating possibilities, people

ConsInconsistency in focus areas
    Senior management
    Compensations beyond initial role

Advice to Senior ManagementSet and accomplish goals by implementing stay routines

Not a bad place to work to earn extra money

Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFlexible schedule, nice people to work with

ConsLow pay, but that is typical of retail work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High expectations of performance and time, worth it if you can hang in there.

Executive Team Leader - Logistics (Current Employee) Norwalk, CA

ProsThe pay is the best part of working for Target, from salary to benefits and matching 401K. There is room for growth and promotions, but they expect a huge commitment.

ConsHuge time commitment and you are always on, even when you are off. The company is struggling financially and asking the team to do more with less and holding the same high standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the team streamline work to be able to focus on the core of our business selling merchandise and cut out the fluff from the team.

My location was very clean

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, working at the Socal location was actually quite pleasurable. I had the later shift, so it was always a bit more hectic, especially over the weekends. The people I met there were also great. No hidden agendas.

ConsThe only thing that got annoying there was how busy it would get on Fridays and Saturdays. Sometimes not enough open registers.

Great first job.

Electronics Team Member (Former Employee) Colma, CA

ProsGreat for people who never had a job before. This company can help build customer service skills.

ConsSome of the LODs did not agree with each other. It was hard to work under that sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedCard quotas?

Fast pace, ever changing environment.

Store Team Leader (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people to work with and a culture of developing leadership skills.

ConsCan be too political and challenging if you are not "in".

Good place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFun and easy going atmosphere

ConsSome of the people that work with

Advice to Senior ManagementWilling to take the time to listen

Great place to work as long as you are prepared to work little hours.

Stock, Cashier, Cart Attendant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat people, great experience, very easy to get recognized if you actually show up and just do your job, feel like part of a team. I worked here for one year, was hired as overnight stock working 3:30 am to 12:30 pm and was actually very great! Since I originally applied for a cart attendant, they stuck me doing that since only brainless adults/or younger teenagers are the only ones available to fill that position.

Although management loved my attitude and energetic personality, so I was trained for cashier, right away, guest services, and even worked the pizza hut, put on the sales floor (which is so easy and chill), trained for starbucks. Essentially I was the lucky guy who everyone went to when someone request a day off, so I was constantly filling cashier shifts on my days off which having a 40 hour work week was great. If you desire operating the cashier or sales floor though, expect around 15-32 hours per week.

ANOTHER PRO: If you are attending college, this is a GREAT place for flexible hours, if anything they encourage you to go to school to avoid working at Target making minimum wage.

ConsIt is retail, and nobody is going to be working full time hours besides management with a 4 year degree, or backroom slave associates and/or flow stock team associates. During the busy holiday season, especially starting around Halloween, all the way to early January you will get over time if you simply make a contribution to the store (This is the only period really such as Christmas time where you will receive good hours) After January ends, say hello to 15-24 hours per week during slow season, This is why I had to resign. Simply no hours are available due to all the overtime paid during busy season.

Little pay, once again this is retail and I have seen an associate that has worked for target for 8 years and was earning, 10.00 per hour. Yes, I was offered a .50 raise after my 1 year from North Carolina's whopping 7.25 min wage to 7.75. (this was with earning a top contributor of the month award)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is actually pretty well-rounded, congrats to you if you attended a 4 year and are employed with Target, Great place but I personally know someone merely head over the store than only earns 55k per year.

Enjoyable employment with big box retail.

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Fishers, IN

ProsI was able to change my hours to accommodate my kids schedules when ever I needed to and they didn't make me feel bad about it.

ConsI have absolutely no complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementTarget does a much better job of picking employees than Walmart does. I enjoyed all team leaders that I worked for. The use of radios in the stores is better for customers and employees. Over all, better shopping and working experience. Thank you.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!