Target

Updated Jun 8, 2014

John J. Mulligan

59 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for college students

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsGreat flexibility and work-life balance as I was attending school while working here. My manager was understanding of my school schedule and made the effort to schedule accordingly. Room for advancement within the company for those that were motivated and interested. Great team atmosphere and management.

ConsAs far as part-time college jobs go, no complaints from me. It's a great way to make a little money on top of a busy schedule. May have more complaints if I had stayed long-term?

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter incentives to motivate workers. It's a little too easy to slack off in this kind of job.

Low Pay but Great Benefits

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
    Arvada, CO

ProsFlexible schedule
    Community involvement
    Great Benefits
    Easy to get time off
    Team leads usually awesome

ConsMy experience was, "train yourself".
    Difficult to get full time hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain new employees well from the get go. Don't assume that the "trainers" you assign actually care to train new employees.

Great experience!

Executive Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsAwesome management experience and offers lots of hands on support.

ConsSchedule requires nughts and weekends, which should be expected inretail.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If your over 40 don't look to Target for a career.

Logistics Team Member (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsFlexible schedule. Many job options.

ConsLow pay. Inept team leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementDropping insurance for part time employees makes Target just another company to work at while you're looking for a good job.

playing the company politics is the name of the game

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Proswell payed from the executive TL level and above with quick opportunities to promote if you're will to work yourself to the bone

Cons55 hrs a week is very normal. Expect much more during back to school and holiday season, especially in high volume stores. No two store cultures are the same. Very high turnover rate from all levels. If you're a minority expect to face limited opportunities. Worked there 5 years and only saw 1 other minority hired. Upper management is typically new and "learn as they go." Very reactive and backward management in the sense the store, district managers are never experts. The company is designed with the understanding that high turnover is expected. Working the weekends is apart of the job so that negatively affects a natural work life balance. Benefits have become worse and worse each year. I'm afraid what they're going to look like 5 years. Brick and mortar will be major victim to the growing e-commerce outlook. (ex.Circuit city)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting so much emphasis on back filling positions and spend that time and money on retention.

Boring position, but fun co-workers

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsTalking with the co-workers can be quite entertaining, and there is plenty of room to move up.

ConsThey have removed their health insurance policies for part-time workers, and the position itself was not very fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should have your GSTL's/GSA's look more closely at the employees who offer to help out more, and possibly promote people who are willing to put in the extra work.

Many changes turned a once good company into horrible company

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsLeadership experience. opportunities to learn different aspects of store

ConsLack of internal promotion, inexperienced executive management, lack of care or concern for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that these new college kids that you hire as their "first" real job to be executives over the store is horrible way to push the company forward. I was a team lead for years and I earned my Bachelors degree during my time working at Target. I asked to promote and was told they prefer external promotions of people. This despite getting Outstandings on 3 reviews in a row. Instead of promoting a person that understood the work and culture of Target, they would rather hire some person with no retail or work experience. Over the past few years, the company has spiraled downward. I am glad I left the company. My work experience and education i found was very desirable outside of Target. Target is great if you just want an 8 dollar an hour job and have no desire of bettering yourself or career.

Extreme structure and business changes have created an understaffed, overworked culture much like poorly seen retail com

Executive Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPay is fairly decent, especially in management. The company is very diverse, and there is a place for people of all skill levels and work experiences at Target. Working with a large team is nice, because you are usually able to be working alongside someone who you like and get along with.

ConsWork-life balance is pretty terrible. I often work long hours (12+ hr days), and even though I am in store management, the work is extremely physically demanding. A lack of resources within the past years (due to financial strain from the Target Canada launch, and the recent data breach) have made managers into glorified team members. Payroll hours have dwindled, and most managers spend their days cleaning up spills, filling the shelves and cashiering, and minimal time in a leadership role. We make a bigger paycheck but the things Target lures you into the company with (leadership growth and development, advancement, etc.) really are not part of the management role anymore. For a company that preaches culture as a major asset, it is evident to most who spend time in the stores that nearly all Target employees are disgruntled and unhappy, from top management down.

Advice to Senior ManagementObviously, the only way a company can continue to remain competitive and profitable, is through increasing efficiency, but Target has quickly and frantically slashed resources, and steepened goals to unattainable heights. Coming into work each day with a new focus or company priority, only to find out that payroll hours have been slashed more or that positions have been reduced or eliminated that are key to achieving a certain goal, is disengaging and hurts morale. Many decisions made at the corporate level lately seem panicked, and frenetic, and do not make sense in the context of stores or distribution centers, and do not align with what the company used to stand for, bright clean, well organized stores that specialize in providing exceptional service. Please take note, none of these things are realistic anymore, with only 5 or 6 team members in the entire store at any given time.

Great team, but unrealistic expectations and constant micro managing made the environment unbareable

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood pay, fun atmosphere, great opportunity for advancement

Conswork-life balance, benefits, poor direction from senior management, constant micromanaging around metrics

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing so much on metrics but rather focus on the results. A number means nothing if you don't know what is actually going on.

Great start off, horrible long term.

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)
    Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsIf your a college student looking for a part-time job, or a high school kid that needs time to kill, its not a bad place to start. The pay is minimum wage but its an entry level job into the workforce. Juggling school and work can be tough and if you have a good manager you'll be able to balance the two pretty well.

ConsThe training really comes down to who your paired with, the jobs are pretty simple a monkey could do them, but if you seek to move up, you'll have to pester and brown-nose the higher ups until they give in. Management typically changes every 18 months and when it does expect a high-turn over rate. The last turn over rate we had was 60 people in a one month span with a workforce of about 220 people, once that happens even if you have given the management your hours of availability they will stil max your hours and say its because the appreciate you, when in reality its because they have lost too many people and can't find anyone else and have become over dependent of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all know its a low-level job and no one can complain about that. However, if they want to hold on to employees longer than be willing to work with them and don't lie to them or use them or manipulate them and say you appreciate them when your really using them.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO John J. Mulligan. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.