Target Reviews in Denver, CO

8,214 Reviews
3.1
8,214 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, a great experience

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Denver, CO

I worked at Target full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Inclusive culture, many advancement opportunities, very flexible for a student or a parent that might need a sudden schedule change or leave of absence, they do a decent job of making everyone (from cashiers to executives) feel heard and valued.

Cons

It depends on the individual store. Some are better run than others, obviously. Luckily transferring stores is very simple. The health benefits could definitely improve, and the discount could be better.

I have worked at MANY different stores, from the highest volume, to the lowest, in many different departments. Target has some great leaders that were willing to do things like put me on an emergency leave, no questions asked. They allowed me to CREATE a position on the sales floor that I felt was relevant to the needs of that specific location, and gave me a pretty large amount of autonomy in hammering out the core roles of that position. That really stood out to me and it would be great to see more stores allowing that kind of initiative and ownership among team members, instead of micromanaging as much as I've seen at some less-than-perfect locations.

Worked at Target for four years and it was a good place to grow.

Former Employee - In-Stock Team Member  in  Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - In-Stock Team Member in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company values are strong. Team-leads really take time to create good morale amongst team members. Competitive pay and benefits. Flexible with hours and vacation. Opportunities to work in many departments. Training is thorough.

Cons

Not much room to move up in the company. This was my experience working at two Target locations. Some areas can be stressful especially when there are time constraints.

Allow more room to promote from within. Especially for team members who have worked there for quite awhile.

Easy if you don't work on the sales floor

Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, people don't stay long, so your not to favorite person will leave soon if you wait a little while

Cons

Hard to get 40 hours consistently. Health Insurance not available for part time. Wage has not kept up with housing inflation, hard to survive. Don't plan on having both cable TV and a cell phone, you can only afford one or the other.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Fun and a Pain the Rear If Management is Bad

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your co-workers are going to be the reason that you stay at Target. When you get there, your co-workers will be the reason you stay if you're working with a lot of good people. The schedule is also quite flexible. College students, Target is a great place to work if you intend to finish school.

Cons

The pay... sucks. It just sucks. You've got to be willing to play the game. As in, office politics runs rampant through Target. If you are a normal team member, you won't get anywhere without getting the managers and supervisors to like you. It doesn't matter how hard you work, how much effort you put into your job or how often you help. These people play favorites. You can be a slacker that calls out all the time and no one cares if the managers love you.

This is less advice to the managers and more advice to people who want to work at Target. Target isn't a horrible place to work... but it's a dead end job. Unless you're one of the upper managers it's a dead end job. Period.

In the following write up, I shall use the following terms to give you an idea of what I mean. This is jargon for the job and it's important to know these terms.

STL (Store Team Lead): This is the head manager. This is the person who is in charge of the entire store. Everything about how your store runs works, and is motivated typically comes from your STL.

ETL (Executive Team Lead): These are the other managers. It's a step down from the STL. Depending on which Target you work at you may have just a couple... or several. Typically every Target has a Sales Floor ETL, a Logistics ETL and a Human Resources ETL. Each one is in charge of a different section of the store. Sales Floor ETL will run the Sales Floor. Places such as Electronics, Soft Lines (the clothing department) and Market (Grocery). The Logistics ETL runs the Flow Team, Backroom, Instocks and Planogram (the guys who reset the aisles).

Sr.TL (Senior Team Lead): Almost exactly like an ETL. However, these are typically people who began as Team Members and managed to work their way up the ladder. The difference between a Sr. TL and an ETL is usually a college degree. Sr. TL usually began as typical Team Members in any section of the store. They are usually just below an ETL, but who work a particular portion of the store. Where as an ETL is a manager, a Sr. TL is just a supervisor. So while the Sales Floor ETL is in charge of the whole Sales Floor, there might be a Sr. TL who is in charge of a small section of the Sales Floor such Electronics or Market.

TL (Team Lead): Basically the same as a Sr. TL but with slightly fewer responsibilities. A Team Lead is still in charge of a section under an ETL. Again, it could be electronics or market. There can be several team leads or Senior Team Leads for any of the following areas: Market, Electronics, Softlines, In Sticks, Flow Team, Instocks, Backroom, Guest Service and Front End. Aternatively, some Targets have a Team Lead for each different department of the store. The Target I work at is a low volume store and thus we don't have too many. The biggest difference between a Team Lead and Senior Team Leads is typically that Senior Team Leads have been there longer and get to have the responsibility of closing the store or what have you.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

With some of those terms in mind, let's get down to business.

Working at Target is not a rewarding experience. It can often be a good experience, but the truth of the matter is you are a dog and they will treat you like one. A lot. There are good points to it. Often times you are working with a team. And if you're good at it, they'll often work with you. Your Team Members are always willing to teach you things and help you learn and develop. Which is more than I can say for the managers, but we'll get to that later. Your Team Members will help you become the best that you can become. And as you stick around at Target longer you'll find yourself beginning to slowly have more freedoms. There is a 90 day trial period. Once you get beyond that moment, the real fun begins. It's hard to get fired from Target which CAN be nice if you're lazy and don't take your job seriously. But the 90 days itself is pretty rigorous. If you call out they'll remember and hold it against you. If you manage to be late they'll always remember. Once you get beyond your 90 days they will still notice, but it won't affect you much anymore (unless you're trying to transfer stores). This is just a quick intro to get you to understand that Target isn't going to take your seriously even after they tell you they'll take you seriously. Once those 90 days are up you can be a complete and total screw up and for whatever knows what reason they'll still keep you. I've worked with several employees who couldn't find their rear with both hands and a map and for some reason they still have jobs. Team Members who work slow, leave early without informing managers or who simply don't show up for work (without calling in) and STILL have a job. So yes, it's hard to get fired. However, you will still have a lot of co-workers who actually take the job quite seriously. And you WANT to help them. Because if you make their job easier... everyone's job is easier.

Of course you'll have tough days as well. But the bigger problem will almost always be a lack of communication as opposed to laziness. We'll get to these things as well.

From this point the review will be divided into "lessons" for those seeking a job. Here we go:

LESSON 1: EVERYTHING YOU LEARN IN ORIENTATION IS USELESS. FORGET IT IMMEDIATELY

Orientations videos are standard stuff. Target has to show it to you. And you'll hear about a lot of things in those videos. The video itself changes over time. The video I was shown was very different from the co workers who began just a year after me (even so early as three months after I started). Here's the thing, all that stuff is never going to be how your store operates. Your STL and ETLs have a certain way they like things done and that will always trump whatever you see in the orientation video. You might here things like, "Getting trained in other sections is easy, just ask!" But the reality is that getting trained in other sections of the store can (and often is) a nightmare unless you happen to work at a store that is short staffed. You'll also get this HUGE spiel about unions. And true enough, Target is pretty anti-union. You'll get called into HRs office if you even so much as say the word union. If you mention union when talking about Union Station they'll call you into the office just because of the word Union. But relax, it's no big deal. As long as you aren't joining a union it's no big deal.

A lot of things you're told in orientation are things your STL and other ETLs are more than willing to ignore. The moment the video is over just forget you ever saw it. .

LESSON 2: THE STL and ETLS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND

The Store Team Lead and the Executive Team Leads are concerned with one thing and one thing only: The performance of the store. Their job is not to be concerned with you as a Team Member. They don't care about you and don't think for a moment they do. If they like you it's not because you're a hard worker, it's because you're doing something that benefits the store. Maybe you're getting lots of people to sign up for Red Cards. Maybe you really drive sales. The one thing it isn't going to be because of is your winning personality. The STL and ETLs have their own jobs and priorities that typically involve making sure the store is running efficiently and that they're making sales. Their chief priority is going to be the store. It's not about you. It's about the store and they'll let you know constantly. If you aren't going to benefit the store, don't even bother talking to your ETL. Talk to your Team Lead or your Senior Team Lead. They're the ones who are going to help you. The ETLs are there to help the store, not to help Team Members. No matter how often they tell you, "We're here to help you!" they are not. Their concern is the store. YOUR concern as a Team Member is not the store. Your concern is whatever task you're given. But the ETLs and the STL are always going to be concerned about the store. They want to know things like, What's on the sales floor? What's empty on the sales floor? They want to know how the store is doing with Red Card conversion. Don't ask them for assistance.

LESSON 3: THE ETLs DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR JOB

This is a big one. Your ETLs have training and experience on how to MANAGE a store. Not how to OPERATE a store. This means that your ETL knows WHAT to do in any given area but not always HOW to do it. They know you need to zone your area, but they don't know how to zone themselves. Don't take this the wrong way, they know what zoning is and the gist of it. What they don't know is that it can be a time consuming process. Everything your ETLs tell you they're reading off a chart, hearing from the District or something to that effect. Since they aren't actually DOING your job, they have no idea about how your job works. For instance, my Logistics ETL has NO IDEA how to backstock an item in our back room. She also has no idea how to pull it. In fact, none of my ETLs do. The one thing I must do constantly when management changes out is show my ETL how to backstock an item (meaning, scanning it into a location in the backroom) and how to pull it (taking it out of that location in the computer and making sure it registers that it's on the floor and not in the backroom). They don't know how to do it because they weren't trained for that. They simply don't know how. It isn't their fault. It's corporate's. And make sure you remember that. Your ETLs are still human. Just as you'll come across tasks you don't know (because no one showed you) so will your ETLs. The problem, however, is that they SHOULD know. If your Logistics ETL doesn't know how to backstock, scan the barcodes to see what we need more of instock or how to run the truck unload... there are problems. And when ETLs show up they often times are relying on you to know how to do those things so they don't have to.

Now, there will be times when they do know your job. If you're lucky and have an ETL that came from a store where it was important for them to back up their team and support them. The thing is, you won't get that too often because... well, they expect the Team Leads to know that and take charge. Which brings us to...

LESSON 4: FORGET YOUR ETLs... TRUST YOUR TEAM LEAD

Your Team Lead is really the person you should bee looking to. So whatever department you work, learn who your Team Lead is. When you have problems with your schedule, your Team Lead will help. When you are having trouble with your task, go to your Team Lead. I can't stress this enough... the ETL is concerned with running the store. But your Team Lead is actually there to support you. Your ETL is not. Your Team Lead will also do their best to handle any disputes you have with your ETL. All that said, your Team Lead was probably once a typical Team Member. Most Team Leads began as Team Members. Most ETLs did not. A lot of ETLs were recruited out of college and never had to do things such as work the Sales Floor or anything like that. They bypassed all that and were taught how to run a business. This is why you have Team Leads. It's so that your ETLs don't have to supervise you. Your Team Lead is your support system. When the ETLs are dicking you around, your Team Lead will help you.

If you need any additional training, your Team Leads will help.

LESSON 5: DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO MOVE UP... UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY POLITICS

There is one thing you need your ETLs for ever so slightly. They are going to help you advance. The problem is that there are A LOT of politics involved. You can let them know you want to move up or learn more... but they will make it hard. And not in the way that is supposed to "build character," like you see in the movie. When no positions open up where the pay grade is higher than what you're making... they will try to keep you from getting it. They'll give you all this stuff about a nice "fit" but the truth is simple: Every ETL always has an idea of who they want for the position. And the politics WILL get ugly from time to time.

Let me give you an example. The guy who receives the trucks in the morning quit. Before he quit he trained a guy how to do the job so that we wouldn't be left without a receiver. However, when our previous receiver actually left, the guy he trained (and really did know EVERYTHING about the job) was told he had to apply for it like everyone else. So he did... but they bypassed him for someone who knew nothing about the job simply because they liked that guy more. It wasn't the right fit. Target felt it better to bypass the guy who KNEW the job in favor of someone who knew NOTHING simply because that guy was more "likable" but he was by no means efficient. In fact he was terrible at the job.

Months later, our Guest Service Attendant position opens up (this is a supervisory position as well). Again, the ETLs already knew who they wanted and so they did the typical thing. They went to that guy and asked him to apply. Everyone else who applied was just a formality to say "no," to them.

You MUST be willing to play the political game. This means making yourself known and getting the ETLs to like you. This doesn't mean you have to be a brown noser. It just means that the ETLs DO play favorites. And the favorites get more opportunity. Our guy who got the receiving job (and in turn really sucked at it) only got it because the ETLs liked him. Not because he was actually qualified. The other guy they passed over? He quit. And he was probably right to do so. After all, he went out of his way to actually learn the job.

But it gets better. Target doesn't like you if you tell them you're trying to move up. At all. Unless you've made yourself likable. But they WILL try to keep you down. See, Target wants to know how you'll benefit the store. Not yourself. So if you DO have ambitions of moving up you better be willing to sell your soul to Target. This means branding to the extreme. Get a red card. Buy all the Target Brand stuff (food, clothes, water, drinks, furniture, towels--anything that is Threshold, Archer Farms, Market Pantry or Room Essentials). They want someone who is enthusiastic about Target and everything Target represents.

Being a hard worker won't cut it. I went into work six days a week for twelve hours a day and was awarded their top performer of the year award for 2013. All that work ethic didn't mean anything. When I applied for a higher position I was told to my face, "It just seems like you're trying to move up..." and yes, they will use anything you tell them against you. I HAD expressed interest in moving up, but I didn't think it was a BAD thing to want to. After all, our boy they put in receiving ONLY wanted to move up and they gave it to him... for the same reason they rejected me from another position. I was told I didn't "sell it," but behind the scenes it was quite obvious that they wanted someone else for the position. We found out later that they had personally approached a Team Member and told him to apply for it (he was more than willing to share this info with the rest of the team) and that they wanted him. Specifically him. Turns out it was the same guy they put in receiving. They were now trying to get him out of a place where he was doing a terrible job (where as they actively fired someone else for doing a terrible job else where).

So yes, there are politics. They're real nasty politics too. And your ETLs will cover their hide anyway they can because they think you're stupid. They seem to be confused whenever Team Members talk to other Team Members. It's as though they really don't expect you to associate with your co-workers. It's amazing how strange it all is.

It's also best to mention this here as well... but your ETLs actually don't expect you to stay anyway. Which is why they make it hard to move up. As far as they are concerned, you see Target as "transitional" job.

LESSON 6: YOU WILL BE ASKED TO BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW

Earlier I said ETLs don't know how to do your job. Well, there is a part 2 to that. They also don't know how long a job can (and often will) take. Again, all the info they get is on reports and spreadsheets. So they read that a certain task should only take you thirty minutes. What they do not ever figure in are things like: You may need to assist guest, you may need to back up the front lanes, you may need to assist another team member with a team lift or you might spend more time than they thought having to unpack your materials. These "goal times" are centered around an idea of no interruptions. But even then it matters very little. As some ETLs (and sometimes Team Leads) can be quite demanding.

Sometimes this also means that your ETLs simply won't listen to you. Yes, there will be tasks that you won't have enough time for and you'll be expected to finish them. We had one incident where a Team Member was told she needed to reset an entire aisle by herself in less than four hours. Our Team Member who'd been there for eleven years tried to explain to our ETL at the time that the job could not be done in four hours by one Team Member alone. Our STL actually agreed. It wasn't possible for just one person to do it in four hours. Especially an entire aisle that takes eight hours for FOUR to do. Unfortunately you sometimes get managers that simply won't accept no for an answer. No matter how feasible and well reasoned you are. Needless to say, the job did not get done in time because it wasn't possible for it to get done in time. But the ETL didn't care. Luckily for us, the STL DID care. She cared a lot and alotted more time the following day.

LESSON 7: GET CROSS TRAINED AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE

You want to learn as much in the store as you can. If you're hired for Sales Floor, learn as much about the different departments as you can. Not only do you get more hours this way, but you also ensure that you have some job security. By that I mean, it's hard to get fired from Target... but it's nearly impossible if you know everything about the store. This is because it cost money to train a new employee. And it's better to keep an employee that knows everything than to hire four new ones and train them.

Again, they don't make it easy, though. If you aren't playing politics it's going to suck. If you aren't asking Team Leads and Team Members it's going to suck. If you think your ETLs didn't give care about you before, just wait until you ask for cross training. They REALLY won't care. If you want to cross train always, always ALWAYS go through a Team Lead. Your ETLs are going to give you the run around anyway, often telling you to approach one Team Lead, ETL or another anyway. And you're going to have to be assertive. You can't just ask. You have to keep bugging them. Because they're going to find any excuse they can NOT to train you.

The exception is, of course, if your store is short staffed. If that's the case then you will get cross trained easily. They'll need you. But you will have to work for it. And while some may not like hearing this, minorities for whatever reason, have to work twice as hard to get cross trained. Women in particular have an especially hard time as most of them are immediately put in such work centers as Softlines or Domestics. Meaning... if you're a woman you'll easily get to work in the clothing and household items department... but for some reason they will keep you as far away from Electronics and the Backroom as they can. If you are a man they will keep you as far away from the clothing department as they can.

The easiest way to get cross trained is just to work with your fellow Team Members and have them teach you along the way.

LESSON 8: JOINT EFFORTS CAN BRING ABOUT CHANGE

It's not easy for you to get fired, but it is easy to get Target to investigate your store as long as you can get your co-workers on board. Target may not have a union and they may frown upon unions, but if Team Members put their heads together you CAN bring about change. The District Offices are surprisingly more sensitive to the Team Members needs than they are the ETLs. This is good for you if you're a Team Member. But it takes organization. Target has an integrity hotline that any employee can call into at any time of the day (or night) and complain. You can report on your ETLs and tell them if you're feeling like you're being mistreated.

The catch is they only come to investigate when something seems "wrong." You can't just complain. If your ETL is giving you trouble they won't just listen to ONE team member. If, on the other hand, SEVERAL team members call in they WILL investigate. It doesn't always lead to something, but it's the only ounce of empowerment that you really get as a Team Member

However...

LESSON 9: DON'T BE FOOLED BY ETLs TRYING TO "HELP"

Piggybacking off of Lesson 8... don't ever go to your management when you have complaints. Ever. Don't go to Human Resources. Don't go to your ETL... just don't. Just get a controlled effort to get the District Team Lead to your store and chat with said District Team Lead. THEY will get things done. Your ETLs are only going to try to save their skin. If you don't like how your store is being run or you have issues with certain means by which you've been treated, then just call the integrity hotline. The moment you go to Human Resources the number one suggestion is usually, "We'll have a chat session about it..." where you come in and sit down with whoever you have a problem with. If it is someone in management you'll sit down with pretty much all your ETLs where they proceed to gang up on you.

If your ETLs are trying to "help" it's only because something in the store isn't working right. It has nothing to do with your work place concerns. Their number one concern is the store and nothing more.

LESSON 10: BE WARY OF CALLING OUT AND YOUR ATTENDANCE

For some reason, retail is a rough industry to call out in. Your managers "need" you very badly (there's always someone else they can call in). And yes, Target wants a Doctor's note and the like. That's not the problem. The problem is that your bosses will CONSTANTLY get on your case for calling out. They will hold it against you. It'll be months since your last call out and they flag you for low attendance. I was flagged for calling out twice in one year. Yeah, that's right... only twice. One time because I had a family emergency and another time because it was a day I was no supposed to be scheduled (it went against my availability). They're very strict. I can understand it, but Target takes it to absurd levels. I had a co-worker who called out because she needed to take her mother to the hospital and our boss kept her on the phone for twenty minutes giving her a lecture. That's a bit absurd (while her mother helplessly nearly passed out). They don't care WHY you're calling out. They only care that you are.

LESSON 11: YOUR ETLs AREN'T AFRAID TO PLAY DIRTY

It's not easy to get fired from Target. There's a lot of paper work, the district might come down on your managers if too many people get fired or quit, and it cost them money when someone does (because now you have to pay to train a new guy to do the old job). So what they typically try to do instead is force you out. This is not a joke... they will do that. A lot. A co -worker of mine was scheduled for a mere three hours for a week once. Not because there were no hours to give... but because the ETLs hated him that much. They have to do a lot to fire you.. but they can make you disgruntled enough that you quit. And sometimes they do. You can always tell based on how many hours you get scheduled for. Once you drop into single digits with a wide open availability, it's time to start considering a new job. You're next. Alternatively, the more they like you, the more hours they give you.

They will also change you on the schedule without telling you. One of the sneakier things the ETLs do is change your schedule, don't inform you and write you up for not knowing. Your ETLs MUST inform you when they change your schedule. But sometimes they don't. Like I said, it's hard to get fired, but they will still find ways to get rid of you easy.

LESSON 12: YOUR ETLs WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU OF WHERE YOU STAND... DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASSERT YOUR RIGHTS AND YOURSELF

If you are unfortunate and you work with young ETLs... I feel sorry for you. ETLs that are in their twenties tend to be cockier and more unreasonable than older ETLs who have been working with the company a while. Everyone knows the type. They've graduated college and they have their fancy degree (you have to have a college degree to be an ETL). It may or may not be in business. That isn't the point, however. The point is, the younger the ETL, the more likely they are to treat you as though you are "beneath" them. My bosses are younger than me, do not work as hard as I do, but are constantly talking to me like I'm stupid (while I am simultaneously showing them how to do my job). And they do it because they have power over you and are quite aware that they do. So not only do they not know your job and expect you to get it done in an unrealistic amount of time... but they're going to assume that BECAUSE they're the boss they simply know more than you just because they're the boss.

The truth is that an ETL only has as much power over you as you give them. There are certain things they can't do, and you SHOULD call them out on. An ETL cannot hold you past your scheduled shift for any reason. Some ETLs know this and others do not. You are allowed to tell them you can't stay. They can't force you to stay beyond your scheduled time. Not only is this in the policy handbook, but in some states it's illegal for them to force you to do so (you must comply to do so). They can't call you when you don't show up for work either. If you don't show for work, Target is not allowed to call you and see what happened. At all. They can't make you come in on your day off. They simply can't. You are allowed to say no.

One of the most important things to remember is that they can't schedule you against your availability. if they do, however, you can inform your ETL at once and have it changed or get taken off. However, if end up simply not showing on a day you are unavailable they can't do anything. If you were scheduled on a Tuesday when your availability says you are not available you do not HAVE to come in on that Tuesday. You have it somewhere to show them proof.

The point is, ETLs have power... but they are harmless. They can't threaten your job unless you've REALLY messed up. You ARE allowed to argue and disagree (and some ETLs actually respect employees who do bring up concerns or who do fight back... they won't like it, but they do like to see someone take leadership and ownership). Some you can even yell at. Don't be afraid of your ETLs. They may try to remind you where you stand, but as an employee you do have rights. And one of those rights (that Target actually does encourage much to the chagrin of your ETLs) is to actually stand up for yourself. Don't let the ETLs take the Fun out of "Fast Fun and Friendly." If you let the ETLs walk all over you... they will. If you take some time to mention certain things you'll be surprised. They aren't your friend... and they're only concerned about the store... but they also don't like the District breathing down their neck. ETLs will remind you where you stand, but when they do... just remind them that they need YOU. It isn't the other way around.

Don't treat their employees well.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Aurora, CO

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work well with other schedules/jobs. Lots of positions are always available. Hire with little to no prior experience.

Cons

Raises aren't worth the effort put in. Managers do not respect their employees. Terrible discount for team members. Not enough incentives to continue working with Target.

Great for college students

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Littleton, CO

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility and work-life balance as I was attending school while working here. My manager was understanding of my school schedule and made the effort to schedule accordingly. Room for advancement within the company for those that were motivated and interested. Great team atmosphere and management.

Cons

As far as part-time college jobs go, no complaints from me. It's a great way to make a little money on top of a busy schedule. May have more complaints if I had stayed long-term?

Better incentives to motivate workers. It's a little too easy to slack off in this kind of job.

Low Pay but Great Benefits

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Arvada, CO

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Community involvement
    Great Benefits
    Easy to get time off
    Team leads usually awesome

Cons

My experience was, "train yourself".
    Difficult to get full time hours.

Train new employees well from the get go. Don't assume that the "trainers" you assign actually care to train new employees.

If your over 40 don't look to Target for a career.

Current Employee - Logistics Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Many job options.

Cons

Low pay. Inept team leaders.

Dropping insurance for part time employees makes Target just another company to work at while you're looking for a good job.

playing the company politics is the name of the game

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Denver, CO

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

well payed from the executive TL level and above with quick opportunities to promote if you're will to work yourself to the bone

Cons

55 hrs a week is very normal. Expect much more during back to school and holiday season, especially in high volume stores. No two store cultures are the same. Very high turnover rate from all levels. If you're a minority expect to face limited opportunities. Worked there 5 years and only saw 1 other minority hired. Upper management is typically new and "learn as they go." Very reactive and backward management in the sense the store, district managers are never experts. The company is designed with the understanding that high turnover is expected. Working the weekends is apart of the job so that negatively affects a natural work life balance. Benefits have become worse and worse each year. I'm afraid what they're going to look like 5 years. Brick and mortar will be major victim to the growing e-commerce outlook. (ex.Circuit city)

Stop putting so much emphasis on back filling positions and spend that time and money on retention.

Boring position, but fun co-workers

Former Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier & Guest Service Team Member in Denver, CO

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Talking with the co-workers can be quite entertaining, and there is plenty of room to move up.

Cons

They have removed their health insurance policies for part-time workers, and the position itself was not very fun.

You should have your GSTL's/GSA's look more closely at the employees who offer to help out more, and possibly promote people who are willing to put in the extra work.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!