Target

Updated Jul 8, 2014

John J. Mulligan

288 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty Cool

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    West Palm Beach, FL

ProsTeam oriented. Great management and friendly staff

ConsPay could have been better

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fast paced place that has a great focus on developing leaders

Group Leader (Current Employee)
    Lake City, FL

ProsDevelopment
    Pay
    Benefits package and 401k options
    Availability to transfer to multiple locations within the U.S

ConsLong work hours
    Managing hourly worker

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent

Terrible. Low pay, unreal expectations

Hardlines Team Member (Former Employee)
    Bradenton, FL

ProsFriendships, you get to hang out with a lot of people from work and that's about it. You get to make some connections. You get to help people

ConsEverything. It's like a sweatshop. You work hard all year to get a 20 cent raise no matter how good you are. They never give you full time hours unless youre a manager because they dont want to pay for your insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more. managers don't do anything, the majority of them. they sit upstairs and watch tv most of the time. come down to give us orders and tell us to do more and go back upstairs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unfortunate that they are more interested in your cashier speed and credit apps than in your friendly attitude.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Aventura, FL

ProsBeing able to apply for a "redcard" with an active banking acct, so you can get the additional 5% added to your 10% employee discount.

Consas a cashier: speed, credit apps, and when a supv. is needed, the poor supv. is always too busy to get there right away

Advice to Senior Managementtry having 3 front end supv. on duty at all times, then when one of us needs help, one of the 3 can get there quickly. Your problem comes from thinking that you can always operate with less workers, and all that really does is to make your guests wait longer and get angry easier. I was a mid-level supv at my old job, and decided i'd never wanna be a supv at target because they are too stressed. It appeared to me that you guys would chew them up and spit them out after stressing them out. And PLEASE explain why you have mega millions to spend on tv ads, but can't pay your starters more than $10/hr? I mean really, my tv is choking on target commercials, and not just pre-xmas!

I really enjoyed working with different people.

Target Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee)
    Plantation, FL

ProsMost of the managers were very helpful. The training is pretty thorough.

ConsThe starting pay stinks and so does the discount they offer their employees!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your "Team Leaders" are worthy of being a team leader!!

Deli team member

Deli Team Member (Current Employee)
    Coral Springs, FL

ProsAutonomy (self-directed), goal-oriented (each shift responsible for its own work and handoff to next shift)

ConsPoor performance not dealt with timely, making shift more difficult than necessary for those who are performing

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on shift responsibilities, direct supervision of deli team rather than sharing a team lead with other work areas

Ok for 1st entry-level job during High School

Cashier, Guest Service Representative, PhotoLab Tech, Food Ave Cook (Former Employee)
    Lake Mary, FL

ProsThe wage helped with paying for college. The hours were pretty flexible. Knowing when there were good sales/deals was a plus. The 10% discount was ok. Great place to learn customer service skills.

ConsSupervisors and managers were often people who moved up from lower entry-level positions and developed authoritarian ego complexes and used their position to fuel their power trips. They rarely showed employee appreciation because everyone is an easily replaceable number. Extreme patience is necessary because the general public has little to no respect for retail workers, especially during/after holidays.

Target and the REDCard

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsTarget works well with a students schedule and hours. Target also allows you to move around within the company

ConsLack of communication between staff and management. Although there is an open door policy management doesn't necessarily hear what you have to say. Management tends to categorize people into groups instead of looking at someone individually.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more communication between management and staff. Management should actually hear what they have to say versus just brushing the person off. Management should also understand everyone is different and should be treated as an individual.

Flow Member

Target Flow Team Member (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsCo-workers are nice and friendly, Just like any retail everyone has a different view mine wasnt bad.

ConsWaking up at 3 in the morning, Team leader is more of a boss then a leader to us.

Low wages

It started out good, but they aren't big on promotions from within.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Aventura, FL

ProsIt's definitely a great company overall, and supports everything that goes on.

ConsThey do not like to promote from within, at least not at my store.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in Florida — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO John J. Mulligan. All 288 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.