Target Reviews in Florida

8,403 Reviews
3.1
8,403 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 264 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 723 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 584 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 719 reviews)

More Highlights

326 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Going downhill FAST!

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Target full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits, insurance for full time, managers.
    Company engages in community volunteer events.
    Zero tolerance for discrimination of minorities.

Cons

I recently quit my job at Target after 14+ years of service as department manager (team leader). What started as a "summer job" became my life for the next decade and a half. I used to love and enjoy my job. I was proud of my accomplishments and I felt so lucky to be part of a true TEAM. I must clarify that it was NOT like this five years ago... things have taken a turn for the worse... Here are my observations on how things deteriorated:
    --No more promoting from inside. team members used to be able to work their way up the ladder to team leaders, executives, store managers, etc. That way you'd have someone that KNOWS the ins and outs of the company/store and how things work. Instead they started hiring "kids" right out of college to be store executives. They were clueless and lazy and felt entitled. Plus, it's quite demoralizing when you, as a "lowly" team member have to train the store executives. No college degree = No promotions.
    -- Technology No Up To Par: You can't be competitive when your computer systems/software/programs/etc are so antiquated that they create so many time consuming problems that instead of making your job easier, they hinder your progress. Don't get me wrong, Headquaterrs constantly comes up with "updates" and "new technologies" ... they are either not implemented properly, or never released in full or just plain don't work.
    -- Limited resources: There's always a "new program" to drive sales, and you have to stick to it or you'll be penalized. BUT you are not provided with the resources (staff/payroll/time) to be able to implement those programs.
    -- The fiasco known as Target Canada: This failed expansion to the north bled the stateside stores dry. Stupid move. The company sacrificed maintaining/improving stores for the sake of this risky venture. If you're really interested in expanding, open a handful of stores, work out the kinks, then expand once you have it nailed down. You should not invest billions of dollars and then just cross your fingers that it works out. TGT is not carrying its weight and the best thing they could do is take the hit and shut it down.
    -- One of the company slogans used to be "One Team One Way": Well, not anymore... work conditions have created this divide... well, CHASM between "team members" and "Team Leaders" and "Executives" and "Store Managers". Team members are being considered "shift fillers", team leaders are nothing but glorified "shift fillers", most executives are spoiled brats that believe their job description is "just sit in the office and chit chat all day, except when pulling team leaders/members in the office to yell at them for not being 'productive'. And finally, store managers are so consumed with keeping this boat afloat that they have NO clue of what goes on in the store. Except for whatever lines the executives are feeding them.
    -- Good On Paper, Not in Reality aka Big Boys Club: I've seen my share of people being promoted that didn't deserve it and plenty of hard working individuals that fall by the wayside because they are not "buddies" with upper management. Sad. I've seen so much talent goes to waste simply because they are not part of the "in crowd".
    -- Unrealistic Expectations Set by Clueless Management: We've heard so many times "oh, that should take you like 10 minutes" while referring to a task that, regardless of how efficiently and fast you work WILL take you at least an hour. But, they don't want to hear it... in fact, they add more tasks to it...
    -- Disconnect from HQ with Stores: Sometimes I wonder if HQ staff have ever set foot (much less WORK) at an actual store. Judging by the unrealistic projects they want accomplished, I'd say NO.
    -- Scores, Scores, Scores: Every department has scores they have to maintain and keep "green". That is only achievable if the store as a whole is doing what it is supposed to be doing... but alas, it is not. Sure, you can always fake your scores... as long as it looks good on paper, who cares how you got there.
    -- "Revolving Door" mentality: Yes, I'm well aware that turnover numbers are HUGE in retail. But, if you do have a talented, responsible employee you should listen and try to keep them happy. And a single "team survey" once a year does not cut it. Specially if it's not worked on. But who cares, right... there's always more people looking for jobs.
    -- Job/Life Balance: HA! I've known so, so many GOOD team leaders that have either quit or demoted themselves because of the stress and negative work conditions. Stress levels zap any joy you had in working there. Your family life suffers and your health deteriorates. It is definitely not worth it.
    -- Drink the Kool Aid and you'll be fine... or use a few brain cells and kiss your sanity goodbye!

Having said all this, I must clarify that there's probably stores out there that run smoothly and have a great management team. But they are few... and judging by the declining sales and general malaise felt by employees, I'd guess they are fewer and fewer every day. And proof of this is the jaw dropping amount of team leaders and executives jumping ship and looking for other jobs... and a big number of those who remain are actively looking for better opportunities.

I do hope the company gets their act together... or it's gonna be a bleak forecast for the Bullseye.

The team members are the greatest!

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team members make the difference in how hard or easy the job is. The motto " speed is life" is no joke, you are practically running from the time you clock in until you clock out.

Cons

The pay is pretty good, but the raises are almost nonexistent.

Ask team members if they would like to work in different areas of the store, instead of hiring outside of the company promote from within.

Attitude is key.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Miami, FL

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility on hours, especially for students is great. Time-off is simple to apply for and easy to get. Cross-training is available if you push for it. If you are lucky to have a Team Lead that will invest in you then growth in the company is possible, and easy to do.

Cons

This job is largely based on attitude as the title states. As such if you don't seem like you are trying incredibly hard to do your job, even if you get the results they want, they remain unsatisfied. Also, although the availability is flexible for school they are not very willing to allow whole days off for religious reasons. As a matter of fact in the hiring process they often eliminate applicants that are unavailable either Sundays or Saturdays. They motivate you with fear of disciplinary action and if you don't build a good relationship with your Team Lead or ETL it can be difficult to avoid things like Coachings and Corrective Actions.

To the management, consider investing in your team members and growing them rather than trying to scare them into working at the pace you want. Also, try to communicate within the management so that the work goals for the day can be clear and not a different goal from each manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member  in  West Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member in West Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No Brain work., you don't have to take your work home.

Cons

Minimum pay, small raises, micro management

Appreciate employees more, and recognize strengths for advancements.

Decent company but poorly ran in the upper management ranks.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Tampa, FL

I worked at Target full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great teams at the store level.
    Prices are competitive.

Cons

Store team leaders are very young and too inexperienced to handle the stress load.
    Stl's fail to hold everyone accountable.
    Continuous down sizing(4 times in the last 5 years) has destroyed morale in the executive and team leader ranks, no one knows who is next.
    Experienced managers and leaders are all being systematically purged.
    Growth has stopped completely in the last 3 years.

Be fair and consistent with your feedback and accountability.

Target team member

Current Employee - Target Team Member  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Target Team Member in Miami, FL

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Team work is the best part about the job. Flexibility with the schedule is great. Balanced workplace.

Cons

Hours can drop out of nowhere
    Depending on how big the store is, it can get busy with customers and picking up items laying around everywhere.
    Not all team leaders are good some are lazy and some just walk around the store doing nothing

Team Leaders should try to put more effort into to helping every part of the store. Checking lanes, guest service, backroom, hard and soft lines, and definitely the strays.

Gone down hill

Current Employee - Deli Team Member  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Team Member in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Steady work, good guests, can be fun, when no one is stressing out about things.

Cons

Communication, DRAMA and lots of it, old usually broken equipment, clueless management, horrible staffing and training. Poor Leader from team lead to upper management

Think about replacing what's broken(team lead) not just putting duct tape down to hold the cracks together.

Temp Position

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier  in  Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to start a retail career or starter employment for teens job seekers. They give out cards for the holiday

Cons

Once hired for holiday its like a black list of no rehires, pay day is every 2 weeks. The return policy is a joke just yell hard enough and Mgrs will come and make you look bad by taking items back. Some so executives really don't listen, they expect you to put your life on hold for low wages

advancement and open hiring process, publish open position better
    training in various position and quit the brown nose groups

My second job, and probably my favorite overall.

Former Employee - Sales Floor/Backroom/Flow Team Member  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor/Backroom/Flow Team Member in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The camaraderie and diversity in fellow employees - I've met most of my very best friends through my experiences at Target between the two different store locations that I worked at. I feel as though they're better at hiring a diverse staff than other companies. Flexible scheduling, and room to grow if you have the dedication to it.

Cons

The pay is pretty sub-par for entry level positions, and these days, even the best yearly review won't net you more than a .50 cent increase in your hourly rate.

Take plenty of time to spend with new hires, and a better bump in pay after 'good' overall annual reviews would aide in reduction of the turnover rate.

Not a leader

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Good discounts. Free food.

Cons

Horrible managers. Horrible hours. You are treated like a slave instead of a leader. The executive team leaders sit im an office all day, while the team leaders run the store. I saw the store team leader once per week if i was lucky.

Get on the sales floor and work. Stop calling team leaders fro across the store because you don't want to pick something up. Learn how to speak to people in a motivating way.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!