Target

Updated Jul 1, 2014

John J. Mulligan

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Starbucks Barista (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNice employees and good customer

ConsWorking alone and getting rushes

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Customer Services

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay and good benefit

Conswork very long hours and long day

if you need a short term job

Merchandise Flow Team (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosnone that I can think of

Conswork like a slave poor pay not given enough hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was fantastic then terrible.

Cosmtics Merchandisng Team Member (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe push the "Team" to work together. Very easy to cross train, or move up from salesfloor to a specialist

ConsEveryone expects you to be flexible, but no one will be flexible for you.

My time with target

Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe company culture is definitely heavily enforced, just like any other corporations. As a former ETL (Executive Team Lead) the benefits were amazing. Target definitely will take care of you health wise. They are big in work life balance, but it is geared towards employees rather than manager. Definitely a lot of fun activities being promoted by the district, a lot of freebies, and they have a very strong open door policy.

Consridiculous amount of work that corporate sends out to get done in a week. Half of the time we don't even have enough payroll to give out and we have so much work to do. As a manager, there is no work life balance. I worked about 60 hours a week to get stuff done because I don't have enough people. It was hard to hire people because lack of applicants for positions. Not to mention the customer is always right was ridiculous. Why bother having policies and hiring lawyers to write out your legal policies if they don't even go through with it. Also, they are heavy on employees happiness. The only bad thing is these employees have been held in a pedestal. One call to HR and they get away with everything. Definitely not a company to work for if you are strict, actually hold your employees accountable and not just some definition written on the wall, and if you are a stickler to rules, this company is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo district management, listen to your managers for once. It is impossible to have the store look like golden when hours have to get cut, because payroll is affected by sales which by the way is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I pity you guys for slaving away for corporate and have no life whats so ever. For once, walk the talk, and do what you preach.

Overall great place to work. Fun and young culture

Executive Store Intern (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat culture & people and the company invests time in training and developing you. Target emphasizes the importance of teamwork and building relationships among the teams.

ConsBe prepared to work long and rough hours, especially during holidays. Retail can be exhausting and requires a lot of effort and time.

Cashier

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company.

ConsManagement is very weak. The company is going in a direction that is less about the employees and more about driving sales. You can not get sales met with unhappy employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to work towards improving the environment within the store.

It was a good job at the moment

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNever too high maintenance, a good cheap with well pay

ConsManagement wasn't the most helpful or caring

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to help those who work for you

I've heard more complaining and griping here than I did during my time in the military

Flow Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsAn extra dollar an hour during 4-8am

ConsPoor management team, more complaints than compliments, strong sense of hubris.

Advice to Senior ManagementHmmmm let's see, I wake up 2 hours early before work every morning to make sure I make it to work on time, I show up with a neat and nice appearance with a smile on my face every morning 15-30 minutes early depending on how much sleep I got the following night while everyone else shows up sloppy, shirts un-tucked, stains on their shirts and pants and walking into the store late. I'm a new employee and I already stock faster than half of the crew, yet all I hear is I'm not doing enough. Every time one of the managers sees me walking to another aisle to look for more things to stock they look at me like I'm not doing anything or ask me what am I doing. Well for starters I'm not some character off of dragon ball z, I can't transport from aisle to aisle, I'm human.....I have to walk to get to my destination like everyone else. The sense of hubris with this company is strong; I didn't even hear this much complaining in the military.

I used to once love target now I'm looking for a way out.

Target Team Member (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIf you enjoy helping people out then Target is the job for you. A very clean and friendly environment to work at. They have benefits and many volunteer events. I would recommend Target for students looking for a part-time job only. You can take time off, but you must request it before they create the schedule. This is not all Targets but most of them are have their good and bad, so you have to ask and look into it before applying.

ConsHard to move up in the company and not a great place to work if you have a family. The pay and raises is not worth it for all the work you have to do in a retail store. I have seen people work here for years and they give new postions to the new people. They cut hours and you cant get overtime.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO John J. Mulligan. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.